Malta for hols..??

Norrie

I was there five months ago, very hot. Went with the fiance and my two girls ( 13 and 9 ), got around by bus from the the south to the only sandy beach in the north and to the water park. A week will cover it, food is good, well priced and the locals are a friendly bunch. Really rate the Grand Hotel on Gozo, go for a sea view room they are priceless. ck

An extreemly ugly island, but loads of history and the people are very welcoming. It's quite amazing how they took so much in the war and still want to be our allies . Hire a car ,see all the history on the island.In Velleta they have a film event on called The Malta Experiance, which is well worth a visit goes a little way to explaining their heroics in the war. Take a boat trip over to Gozo, it's much more fertile and agricultural. Go to Mdina (the silent City) and visit the Mosta dome, thats why they believe in miracles.Ignore Popeyes village and the water park, thats just tourist tat but the real Malta still has alot to offer even if it's not pretty. from Auntie.

Well i asked the self same question last year!!!!

We went to Buggiba (Tourist central!!), but travelled round most of the island. When we came back, i could have written 2 sides of A4 as to why we had a bad holiday (Lack of beaches, no real scenery, severe lack of the famous "We love the Brits" welcome, blah, blah blah), but we had a really good time and everyone enjoyed it (Me, the missus and 3 daughters 10 and under)

Did a weeks honeymoon there when I got married to my wife seven years ago - we then did a week in Brixham - I preferred Brixham.

Actually, thats being a bit unfair...

It is hot

Snorkelling on Gozo was fantastic

They like the Brits

They drive on the correct side of the road - but are completely nuts

Architecture/Churches/History is interesting, for an hour or two.

We went to the bar Ollie Reed died in - it was closed....

In fact, everything seemed to close around 7.30pm...

i used to go out a few times a year....

steer clear of Bugibba / St Pauls Bay / unless you want tourist central..... (think of the nasty bits of spain, & take away the beaches and add more naffness)

my advice would be stay in Sliema, St Julians, Mellieha....

as said previously, is generally a real love or hate destination... I love it.

really depends what your interests are....

is poor for beaches, but if you go to St Julians and stay in one of the decent hotels... you won't need a beach.

some good restaurants...

a little local knowledge goes a long way

Guys...What can I say...Thanks for the replies...I didnt expect half of that!!! :good:

The wife and I are going on our own...kids all grown up and off our hands..its grandkids now..;)

Malta actually sounds like I'd like the place....we aint after clubs,and nightlife....a quiet holiday is what we're after....with a bit of history...as I love that part..bores the wife to tears...even on honeymoon 30 years ago, I dragged her round the museums..:P

I'm also really interested in WW2 history, and to be honest, that was one of the main reasons for me/us wanting to go there...George Cross and all that..:lol:

Fishing...LOVE it....boat,shore etc etc....on a few Sea Angling forums too..;)

Pubs shutting early?...is a wee bit of a nuisance..but a carry out would do for us..:P

NO topless sunbathing..!!!thanks god for that..I got a crick in my neck the last two hols we had where there was topless....

SO...all in all, it sounds ideal for us....now to get looking on T'internet for cheap deals...as soon as we get something sorted, I'll get back to you..:yp:

One further question tho',...what time of year would be best for a "bearable" heat??....

Thanks again guys..MUCH appreciated.:yp:

Guys...What can I say...Thanks for the replies...I didnt expect half of that!!! :good:

The wife and I are going on our own...kids all grown up and off our hands..its grandkids now..;)

Malta actually sounds like I'd like the place....we aint after clubs,and nightlife....a quiet holiday is what we're after....with a bit of history...as I love that part..bores the wife to tears...even on honeymoon 30 years ago, I dragged her round the museums..:P

I'm also really interested in WW2 history, and to be honest, that was one of the main reasons for me/us wanting to go there...George Cross and all that..:lol:

Fishing...LOVE it....boat,shore etc etc....on a few Sea Angling forums too..;)

Pubs shutting early?...is a wee bit of a nuisance..but a carry out would do for us..:P

NO topless sunbathing..!!!thanks god for that..I got a crick in my neck the last two hols we had where there was topless....

SO...all in all, it sounds ideal for us....now to get looking on T'internet for cheap deals...as soon as we get something sorted, I'll get back to you..:yp:

One further question tho',...what time of year would be best for a "bearable" heat??....

Thanks again guys..MUCH appreciated.:yp:

Given your criteria you'll love it. My vote goes for Mellieha, in the Mellieha Bay Hotel if you can get a good deal.

Dont forget that there is a lot more than just WWII history. Make sure you read up on the great siege that took place in Valetta when the Ottomans invaded in the 16th century. The forts you will hear mentioned are still there, and the story will make your hair stand on end if you take a harbour tour and think about what happened there.

ZB

Hi guys...The wife and I are thinking about Malta this year for our hols... (been to Corfu, loved it, and been to Cyprus, absolutely loved it)...so, any thoughts about Malta....anyone been??

Thanks in advance.. :good:

Lived there for 4 years, been back loads of times.

You either love or loath it but we love it.

If your after sun, sea, rocks and Cisk lager give it a go, if your looking for a lively resort then look elswhere.

The history is great. Make sure you check out the Sunday market in Valletta, let me know how much the finches are selling for and if you get chatting to any local hunters see if they will show you their stuffed bird collections, they are mad on them (unfortunalty for the birds, mind you EU is putting a stop to the hunting or trying to they still appear to ignore them)

The wife and I are going on our own...kids all grown up and off our hands..its grandkids now..:yes:

Malta actually sounds like I'd like the place....we aint after clubs,and nightlife....a quiet holiday is what we're after....with a bit of history...as I love that part..bores the wife to tears...even on honeymoon 30 years ago, I dragged her round the museums..:blush:

I'm also really interested in WW2 history, and to be honest, that was one of the main reasons for me/us wanting to go there...George Cross and all that..:yay:

Fishing...LOVE it....boat,shore etc etc....on a few Sea Angling forums too..:rolleyes:

Pubs shutting early?...is a wee bit of a nuisance..but a carry out would do for us..:good:

SO...all in all, it sounds ideal for us....now to get looking on T'internet for cheap deals...as soon as we get something sorted, I'll get back to you..:hmm:

Thanks again guys..MUCH appreciated.:)

I would go for September, the pubs dont all shut early, find a local one buy them a beer or two and you wont go wrong. Get down to Marsaxlokk for the fishing market too and if your lucky one of the swordfishing boats may return whilst your there, it can be a real eye opener, Ive seen 1000lb tuna, huge Leatherback turtles and all kind of sharks unloaded.

The wife and I are going on our own...kids all grown up and off our hands..its grandkids now..:yes:

Malta actually sounds like I'd like the place....we aint after clubs,and nightlife....a quiet holiday is what we're after....with a bit of history...as I love that part..bores the wife to tears...even on honeymoon 30 years ago, I dragged her round the museums..:blush:

I'm also really interested in WW2 history, and to be honest, that was one of the main reasons for me/us wanting to go there...George Cross and all that..:yay:

Fishing...LOVE it....boat,shore etc etc....on a few Sea Angling forums too..:rolleyes:

Pubs shutting early?...is a wee bit of a nuisance..but a carry out would do for us..:good:

SO...all in all, it sounds ideal for us....now to get looking on T'internet for cheap deals...as soon as we get something sorted, I'll get back to you..:hmm:

Thanks again guys..MUCH appreciated.:)

a nice stay at the Hilton / the Radisson / or the Westin in St Julians.... good location, nightlife if you want it..... quiet spots if you don't. nice restaurants.

Hi Guys...Just a wee update...had a quick look round on t'internet...and so far, found B+B for 1 week (Beginning ofSept) for £220 PP from Edinburgh...:oops: Mibbes a tad "basic" but I like cheap....going to keep looking...also got a discount thingy from Thompson hols, after a dodgy hol last year.( Tunisia )..so will look further into them as well... :yes:

Edited by Norrie