Plastic or Fibre?

In terms of pattern what is the actual difference between fibre or plaswads.

Got a friend going to pick up some 20gauge 24gram Eley CT 7.5s up for me today mostly for clays, maybe a few pigeons too and I am wondering which I will get the best performance out of. I am shooting where a few plaswads wont matter too much. Could go to 28 gram but not sure if the recoil will be too much for high volume use in a little 20g silver pig

Also going to get a slab of gamebore 20gauge 28gram no6 fibre too if anyone has an opinion on those.

Thoughts please :angry:

Some say there is not a great difference in patterns between some plastics and fibres but i always try to use plastic.Only on some land do i have to use fibres where there is livestock and they always seem to perform ok unless at the rangier shots where i think,and only think,that they are not on par with the plastics.

I think I remember reading that fibre actually patterns better at shorter ranges then plastic

Yes I am sure that was in the BASC magazine a while back and referred to better patterns with fibre against plastic, I think it was 20bore loads under discussion! Fibre for me by the way, less mess for a start.

Blackpowder

Years ago when plastic wads became a possibility the cartridge manufacturers saw a great advantage, cost and ease of loading on automated production lines being the main two. The problem was that they had to sell the idea to shooters who were a traditional bunch and not given to accepting new ideas very easily. Espescially when it involved something that was plastic. What they did was to make a big case for the advantages of plastic wads. much of it was hype, some if it was maginally true but none of it made a lot of difference to the average shooter.

That situation is still true today.

I have in the last couple of weeks used Fibre for the first time, (picked them up in error) they were 5's for use on crows, I can honestly say that for me, I felt they were better than any plastic wad carts I have used to date, I may have been having a good day but they gave clean kills further than I would have felt comfortable doing with my normal plas wads, so I am a convert, fibre from now on round the farm <_<

Years ago when plastic wads became a possibility the cartridge manufacturers saw a great advantage, cost and ease of loading on automated production lines being the main two. The problem was that they had to sell the idea to shooters who were a traditional bunch and not given to accepting new ideas very easily. Espescially when it involved something that was plastic. What they did was to make a big case for the advantages of plastic wads. much of it was hype, some if it was maginally true but none of it made a lot of difference to the average shooter.

That situation is still true today.

Very true.

It is cheaper and easier to load a plastic wad as there are less stages in the loading process to go wrong such as base wads and then main wad column in a fibre load, compared to a single plastic wad that can just be seated. This effects the levels of 'scrap' cartridges.

FM :yp: