Would you use your best gun for pigeons ?

EMT

I have a Beretta 682 gold E that I use mainly for clays and driven days and an old AYA sxs that I use for pigeon shooting. The trouble is the AYA is now very old and is starting to work loose.

I like the fact that I don't worry if the AYA gets scratched etc but I have always shot a lot better with the 682 as it fits me perfectly. Now the AYA is no longer fit for purpose should I just use the 682 which is in mint condition and not worry about the odd scratch or get another cheap gun for the pigeons :good:?

Cheers

EMT

I have a Beretta 682 gold E that I use mainly for clays and driven days and an old AYA sxs that I use for pigeon shooting. The trouble is the AYA is now very old and is starting to work loose.

I like the fact that I don't worry if the AYA gets scratched etc but I have always shot a lot better with the 682 as it fits me perfectly. Now the AYA is no longer fit for purpose should I just use the 682 which is in mint condition and not worry about the odd scratch or get another cheap gun for the pigeons :good:?

Cheers

EMT

Yep

I`ve always used my "best" gun for pigeon shooting and I`m intrigued to know how you chaps treat your guns in a hide that they get knocked about and scratched. What exactly is it that you do to them?

I`m no more than safely careful with mine, I certainly don`t mollycoddle it, and I`ve never scratched it yet.

Please, explain the "knockabout gun" principle to me.

I`ve always used my "best" gun for pigeon shooting and I`m intrigued to know how you chaps treat your guns in a hide that they get knocked about and scratched. What exactly is it that you do to them?

I`m no more than safely careful with mine, I certainly don`t mollycoddle it, and I`ve never scratched it yet.

Please, explain the "knockabout gun" principle to me.

Hi mudpatten, I used to do the auctions some years back and you wouldn't believe the condition of some of the guns that I saw :yes: One springs to mind, :hmm: It was a lamber 12g that must have done ten thousand miles in the back of a pickup, or two hours in a cement mixer with a couple of half house bricks :good: needless to say it strugled to make any bids. :hmm:

As for the choice of gun, :( Why not use the best tool for the job :oops: Your quarry deserves it. :good:

Paladin

It takes a fair bit for an AYA to go loose normally but even so it shouldn't be a problem to get it tightened. The trouble is it won't last that long before it goes loose again. Personally I would look for a cheap Baikal O/U. They handle much better than you think they are going to and will never ever go loose.

I like the fact that I don't worry if the AYA gets scratched etc but I have always shot a lot better with the 682 as it fits me perfectly. Now the AYA is no longer fit for purpose should I just use the 682 which is in mint condition and not worry about the odd scratch or get another cheap gun for the pigeons :yes:?

Cheers

EMT

[/q

I am in exactly the same position as I have a 682 gold E which I use for clays and a s/a Beretta a fairly old one which I use for rough shooting.

I shoot much better with the 682 so I used it once shooting Doves. The result was I fell and had to have the wood of the o/u redone.

Never again.!!

Thanks for all the replies folks. Just spoken to an old shooting buddy and got the number of Bryan Farr (anyone know of him). He is a local gunsmith and I'm going to get a price to get it sorted.

If its going to cost too much I'll buy another cheap gun. I gave away a perfectly good Baikal O/U last year as well. Never mind....

Cheers

EMT

I am another shooter who believes you should shoot your best gun in the hide. Archie Coats shot an H&H in the pigeon hide and was just careful. Anything can get broken if you use it but it provides you no pleasure if you don't. To shot a great bird like the pigeon with a gun you don't like using is pleasure wasted. If you put all your money in a big pile and just looked at its not much fun but if you use it sensibly it can be great fun? Thats my opinion anyway!

Straight shooting

Will

I just shoot whichever gun I want to shoot, and treat it with care when I'm in the hide. After all, I've bought the best I can afford and I want to use them as much as I can.

We all work damn hard for big 'treats' like guns, so why keep them locked away when they can be out in the field giving you some enjoyment :yes:

Yeah - I would be gutted for a few days if I really marked one of them, but that's life. I would get over it. It's not the end of the world.

A gun is only a gun when its out in the field/clay range doing what its designed to do,shoot :yes: if you have a expensive gun get it out there,but be a little more carefull with it,enjoy it as a working tool,otherwise get the polish out clean it daily, and admire it as a ornament :yes: BB

I have just bought a SBS, just for that job... £160...

I would die if my best gun got a dent in the stock..

Phil

My F3 has a piece of clay embedded in the stock. That happened on a clay ground about 3 weeks after buying it. I use it for all shooting except on the marsh. I also use my extrema for all shooting.

I do not have any issues using either in the hide or clay ground.