Big Cat

pavman

A well-respected source has passed on the QT that a big cat has just been shot in Suffolk , I made a call or two and it seems this may well be the case. Keeper out foxing came across the beast, verified what he was seeing with a buddy and missed the shot, only to bag it a few nights later. I am not sure what the implications are all round, and its very hard to verify the facts BUT I am sure there is truth in this one. So next time out in the fields and you hear a call or movement that sounds unlike a fox, take care it may not be one!

pavman :beer:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nttf, I think it would be legal to use two hounds to flush a "big cat" to waiting guns, under the current legislation.

What hounds you would use to do this might be interesting.

It has always occurred to me that whilst there have been lots of reports of "big cats" in moorland areas (ie. Beast of Bodmin), neither the local staghounds, nor foxhounds, have ever raised such an animal.

Perhaps they are not the appropriate breed.

nttf, I think it would be legal to use two hounds to flush a "big cat" to waiting guns, under the current legislation.

What hounds you would use to do this might be interesting.

It has always occurred to me that whilst there have been lots of reports of "big cats" in moorland areas (ie. Beast of Bodmin), neither the local staghounds, nor foxhounds, have ever raised such an animal.

Perhaps they are not the appropriate breed.

Cranfield:

I would personnally choose a couple of Plott hounds or a couple of Treeing Walker hounds. In either case it would have to be hounds that are trained to hunt cats. There are two possible reasons that the fox hounds have never put a cat up...1) they ignore it like all farm cats and livestock, or 2) they big cats are a myth or possibly mistaken identity and just are not there.

I would love to find out if they are real or not. If it was guarenteed that I could run I might very well be convinced to bring a couple of cat hounds with me next year. This would mean that we would need to know 100% that it would be legal, and have permission to run on areas that are suppose to have cats on them.

How would you stand legally if you shot a big cat,on my fac it states fox,deer,vermin and ground game. :beer:

I was talking to a friend about this recently Rob. He pointed out that you would break your FAC if you were to shoot boar if not listed. Using this as a benchmark I would guess you would be in as much trouble if you shot a big cat. Although you would have a very good defence as it could be a danger to you and others. Hopefully someone will nail one soon.

Look forward to hearing if Pavmans tale.

LB

Yo nttf.

I thought Plott hounds were used for BEAR not cats.

CHARACTERISTICS

Active, fast, bright, kind, confident, courageous, vicious fighters on game, super treeing instinct; take readily to water, alert, quick to learn, have great endurance and beauty.

or is that what is known as a "naked pussy" - a bare cat.

:beer::):lol:;):)

I was among a group of shooters, some of whom were senior Police Officers (not FO's), when this subject was discussed.

The general opinion was that these creatures were "alien" and not native to this Country.

As they were not on any listing, neither protected nor permitted species, you would be entitled to shoot them.

I assume the final arbiter would be a Court of Law.

Yo nttf.

I thought Plott hounds were used for BEAR not cats.

CHARACTERISTICS

Active, fast, bright, kind, confident, courageous, vicious fighters on game, super treeing instinct; take readily to water, alert, quick to learn, have great endurance and beauty.

or is that what is known as a "naked pussy" - a bare cat.

:beer::):lol:;):)

Dave:

Plotts are used on bears, cats and raccoons. Tuff hounds with loads of heart.

Someone needs to contact Basc or whoever to get us a ruling on this one, as I could have a set of hounds ready for this time next year.

Hear kitty , kitty , kitty

Cranners - I don`t think that would hold water in court,as we have Egyptian geese here and parakeets etc etc.even the humble(and tasty)bunny is not"native",and one could argue that everyone could shoot our (ex)native wild boar,lynx,beaver :) ,bear,wild aurox......see what I mean.

However on my ticket it says" 6(4,5) iv-the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.

I rest my case M`lud :beer:

Edited by henry d

there was a rumour going round of a "lion/puma"on the loose in cambridgeshire a few years back but when they finally got it they found out that it was one of those ridiculous poodles with basically all its hair shaved off bar its main so people were mistaking it for a lion :beer:

Cranners - I don`t think that would hold water in court,as we have Egyptian geese here and parakeets etc etc.even the humble(and tasty)bunny is not"native",and one could argue that everyone could shoot our (ex)native wild boar,lynx,beaver ;) ,bear,wild aurox......see what I mean.

However on my ticket it says" 6(4,5) iv-the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.

I rest my case M`lud :)

Wild Boar ex-native?:lol:

LB :beer:

Ther are quite a few sightings of large cats in Fife each year, I have seen one myself. Last season while driving to meet my friend before morning flight a large cat, Springer Spaniel size, ran (quite slowly) across the road, 30 yards in front of me. It wasn't black, it looked just like an overgrown tabby with a big bushy tail. I could hardly believe my eyes. :beer:

I know another guy who had a black cat in his lamp while out shooting one night but didn't shoot it. I also know of a keeper who said he shot one but didn't report it, he said thet type of thing was more common than you think. :)

Mark.