Multitools what do you use?

christy

Leatherman wave. had it about 10 years (that was a great 8th birthday present!) and it hasn't let me down yet. Been in sand, mad, left in grass over 2 nights before I found it, used for gutting, eating apples etc...

Can't fault it, the popper on the case is still strong and the tool isn't even a touch loose yet. Always put a dab of oil on it when its been wet and theres no rust yet!

-It also makes a great hammer when used closed up!

I have had various Leathermans and Gerbers-They are standard company issue and I have to say they are not tight on reissue if you want another. If you break one you just return it and somewhere along the line it is sent back under the guarantee. Me personally I think the Gerber multi tools have a better edge on the cutting blades.

To me though setting aside, I don't think you can beat an Opinel if you want a cheap bog standard sharp hold its edge knife.

I never put any real weight on any of the tools with these multi tools at the end of the day, I much prefer to get the right tool to do the job.

Leatherman SuperTool for me.

Rock solid, sharp. I've used all the bits at one time or another, obviously some more than others but you wont go wrong with a Leatherman or a Gerber.

I've even got the 1/4" hex adapter accessory that clips into it when it's folded up. Have to say though not really ever used that much.

Edited by Jaminzx7r

a fein multimaster, got small saw blades, sanding pads, putty knife, grout scraper thingy [for cutting out between tiles], and some funny shaped formers for detail sanding.

Thats the best multi tool i use for work as it saves alot of time an effort. My other favorite is an old leatherman super tool i bought in kosovo from the yank px and its still going strong after daily abuse 10 or so years later

Swiss Army...the original and still the best...even has a tool for getting boyscouts out of horses hooves :lol:

Same here, I've an opinel too but always reach for the SAKnife.

Compact enought to forget about in your pocket and it's got a bottle opener and corkscrew!

Nial.

post-14574-1270113891.jpgThis is mine had for years needs sharpening as just starting to go blunt :lol::hmm:

I have this one too and love it. Note you can change the plier teeth if they ever break and the saw too. I don't think you can on the leatherman. Well not when I bought this back in 2003 you couldn't

Leatherman Fuse with screwdriver bit accessory pack for work, Leatherman Blast at home. Both have enough tools that I need whilst remaining light & compact, I would like one of the "bigger better" models but they are heavy to cart around.

Once I bought a real Leatherman all the cheap lookalikes were binned, you can't argue with quality.

Although you have them, do you all really use them :good:

I was given a cheap one and it chucked in a toolbox somewhere in the shed.

Incidentally, how do you stand legally carrying the bladed versions?

I am really frightened by people who have them on a leather holster on their belt, especially when it is next to their PDA in a similar holder and they are wearing that sandal/sock combo :shoot:

I have had the Victorinox Swiss Tool made by the same guys as make the Swiss Army Knives [ I have one of those as well - the Forester with green handles and an ace saw blade - which is brilliant ].

The Swiss Tool has pliers, four flat screwdrivers, two phillips screwdrivers , wire cutters, cap lifter [bottle opener to you or me],normal blade, serrated blade, metal file, metal saw, wood saw, reamer & punch, chisel scraper, strong crate opener [brilliant for opening wooden wine crates] , wire bender, wire stripper, wire scraper, can opener,two rulers [one metric one imperial], electrical crimper and a hole for a lanyard all in a nice leather case that you can fit onto your belt discreetly.

Sadly there is not that utterly useful widget for taking stones out of horses hooves!

If you buy the deluxe version, you also get a bit wrench and six assorted phillips, hex & torx bits but I dont need these as they are in a socket set given to me by Father Christmas.

I have to confess I dont use it every day, but like a fire extinguisher or a smoke alarm, I am very glad that I have it.