1970's it was spoke shaves

pavman

I used to love helping my Grandad when i was a nipper down the shed cup O Tea, sharpening stone and oil can, putting an eadge on the plain and spoke shave blades....... he used to say a man without a spoke shave is no man I wish to meet (and he meant it)

30 plus years on what is it now :yes:

Edited by pavman

I used to love helping my Grandad when i was a nipper down the shed cup O Tea, sharpening stone and oil can, putting an eadge on the plain and spoke shave blades....... he used to say a man without a spoke shave is no man I wish to meet (and he meant it)

30 years on what is it now :lol:

Still a spoke shave and draw knife as I have and use both. :lol:

NTTF

I've still got my spoke shaves! sometimes i even use them!! also got 2 routers and a few planers, but every now and then only a spoke shave, jack plane, or cabinet scraper will do the job right..

Yup - use all of these above (2 opinels :yes: ) I have about 20 spoke shaves from the UK, France and the US (Millars Falls)

Router is probably the answer to the original question .... they all have their uses,,,,, clever bit is knowing how to and when to choose the right tool for the job. I still use home made knives for some work and home made scratch-stocks for others :yes:

I've done some adze work on old beams which is another fine tool and a joy to use.... and yes, I still have my knee caps!

I used to love helping my Grandad when i was a nipper down the shed cup O Tea, ...............30 years on what is it now :yes:

Now it is them "little nippers" burning granddad’s shed down and throwing stones at him.

And before burring the shed down they nicked his spoke shave blades to go rob someone for their mobile! :yes:

Or Granddad is in prison for owning a dangerous weapon i.e a spoke shave!

Add to those a "chair bodgers inshave" aquired when I was atempting to make clog soles without the propper stock knives :lol::lol:

When my dad was a lad he worked with the local clog maker on Saturdays and holidays. He used to take the deliveries out with a dog cart. The clog makers tools are now in our local museum.

webber

I. he used to say a man without a spoke shave is no man I wish to meet (and he meant it)

30 plus years on what is it now :lol:

I'd say a Swiss Army Knife of at least three layers and if a friend has not got one then

you know what you should buy him/her for a present.

Talking of tools.......I see from time to time I see in the DIY shops a standard hammer with one side a flat edge with a notch. They are marked as a dryliners hammer but I have yet to see a dryliner using one on site.

So to those that know, what are there use to those in the drylining game?

Talking of tools.......I see from time to time I see in the DIY shops a standard hammer with one side a flat edge with a notch. They are marked as a dryliners hammer but I have yet to see a dryliner using one on site.

So to those that know, what are there use to those in the drylining game?

do you mean the one's with a hammer and then a sort of axe with a notch in it combined?

if so the hammer face has a pattern on so when hammering galv nail's in it leave's a print on the plasterboard,so that the palster will stick better.as for the axe bit with the notch.the axe is used for knocking 'snot's'(clump's of cement) off of the brick/blockwork ready for plastering,and the notch is used for pulling nail's as there's no claw. :unsure:

as for dryliner's they are used more by the traditional hammer and nail and wet plastering trade's.modern dryliner's are all screw gun's,metal studding and dot and dabbing

do you mean the one's with a hammer and then a sort of axe with a notch in it combined?

if so the hammer face has a pattern on so when hammering galv nail's in it leave's a print on the plasterboard,so that the palster will stick better.as for the axe bit with the notch.the axe is used for knocking 'snot's'(clump's of cement) off of the brick/blockwork ready for plastering,and the notch is used for pulling nail's as there's no claw. :unsure:

as for dryliner's they are used more by the traditional hammer and nail and wet plastering trade's.modern dryliner's are all screw gun's,metal studding and dot and dabbing

3_drywall_estwing.jpg

Illuminating thanks for the explanation Pegleg I have not seen one 'in the wild'

only in toy I mean tool catalogues