Cleaning you 4x4

Sammy_D

Where I live you might use a jetwash to clean of the under side, but I would leave as much on the body work as I can. I am fed up with being mistaken for a Chelsea tractor. At least when its filthy everyone knows that it sees more off road than the grass verge at the school gate and the occasional puddle. Not that this is a view I can persuade my wife to share.

Where I live you might use a jetwash to clean of the under side, but I would leave as much on the body work as I can. I am fed up with being mistaken for a Chelsea tractor. At least when its filthy everyone knows that it sees more off road than the grass verge at the school gate and the occasional puddle. Not that this is a view I can persuade my wife to share.

I see the dirt as a protective layer for the paintwork :good:

Used to wash mine before an MOT ( well actually the guy who MOTd it would do it before servicing / changing anything that needed doing)

But what he did do after was get a big brush of thick grease (that was more like thick treacle) and 'paint' the underside, and the break pipes.

the mud dust used to stick to it (in the summer when it was done) and it seemed to form a shell that could be washed off.

Never had any problems

mine gets washed occasionally when i swiftly get it into the jet wash and start washing before they throw me out :good: helps that ours takes loose change so you don't need tokens where they start pointing at their terms and conditions about very muddy vehicles :lol:

My Company Disco got washed by the garage at every service,so the first one got washed every 6 weeks or so. (very short service intervals and highish mileage traveled)

the second one got washed less often.

Now the sports cars get washed weekely by those nice eastern europeans down at Sainsbury's great job for less than the autowasher.

M.

I use the wiper /washer to see out and nature does the rest of the power washing when it rains:good: .

I find my truck only gets muddy after I clean it - any more mud and I don't notice. In fact it's dirtier and smellier on the inside with the dog. :good:

Compared to the average keepers truck which only gets powerwashed before it goes into a skip - my truck is clean ???

I can't believe most of you don't wash the chassis of your Landy. In my mind its pretty critical to get all the mud off after a good off roading on the chassis. i don't care that there is mud on the body but the chassis is what rusts and if you don't get rid of that damp mud your chassis' will rust. Wax oil once a year. Good chassis wash every couple of months or when its very muddy to preserve that crucial and vunrable part of your vehicle.

put it up on ramps and pressure washer underneath just of late been drivin over marshes which have long grass that does the job as well just be careful it does not wrap round the prop though!!

Hi,

Too late! No problem straddling straw or grass but did it over a type of clover that the farmer had never sown before. Oh dear! Being deaf I couldn't hear it but one of the farm lads heard me coming and stopped me. Took us about 15 mins of serious hacking and tugging to get it off. Nothing wrong with sense of smell so on arrival home I picked up the distinctive odour of gearbox oil heating up on exhaust. Yep, prop shaft/diff. oil seal gone. Thank heavens for the warranty.

Cheers

I wash the chassis of my Land Rover, not the body. I find jetwashing a bit harsh, it takes off all the protection. I have a piece of copper pipe which I bent into a curve so it loops up under the car, then hammered one end flat to make it spray and attached the other end to a hose. I can walk round the car, gently spraying all the crud loose without damaging the waxoyl or my back.

• 2 weeks later...

On my frontera i clean the headlights and the windscreens, never really bother about the underside, i just wait for heavy rain and take a drive through the local spots that flood and drive through them to wash the underside, that seems to work either that or i leave it outside the neighbours when it is due to rain and all the big clumps of mud etc that fall off sit outside their house. :good: