shooting log book

i keep a a5 diary of rabbit shooting , with dates of cartridge purchases , cad numbers from plod and night time totals .

it is a bad reminder when you do the sums of how bad a shot we are !!

but it helps when landowner asks and we can be very precise.

:good:

I keep a diary and write up memorable shoots, stalks and fishing trips. I should have kept a better one though.

I have destroyed three injured deer this last year and applied for humane slaughter to be included on my FAC when i sent in my FAC for a variation. If I had taken photo's and done a write up at the time it would have saved me chasing round after folks for a letter to verify my application.

ft

I have been keeping a shooting diary since the 80,s, started back in the days when pigeon shooting was easy to get, a visit to the Farmer and 9 times out of 10 permission to come and shoot when ever. The main change I have found over the past few years is that Pigeon Guides selling shooting have altered the playing field, some of the farms are no longer available, Money Talks.

I still take great pleasure on looking back on the days when my eyesight was good, reactions quicker and I could shoot better than now, pics to go with your diary bring the day back.

Pic from 80,s/

Butch.

post-969-1273318067.jpg

I have been keeping "notes" for years but formalised things a bit more and since 2000 I have kept a good old fashioned A4 Folder.

Primarily down to client requests for information!

Probably better electronic ways of doing this but the folder works for me! :good:

Edited by Dekers

Yes, I've kept a game book since the 60' with notes and matters of interest on all my shooting and fishing days. It's fascinating reading some of the old entries and boy oh boy does it bring back memories.

Also the leather bound volumes look better on the bookshelf then a row of Mills and Boon paperbacks.

Since the mid eighties every Christmas I would get a diary which I would fill in the following year as a shooting/fishing log. But I have got lazy the last few years, mainly because I now buy a calendar, I now annotate the calendar every time I return from an outing. But a few scribbled lines cannot compare to a more comprehensive diary entry. It is a habit I should realy get back into, still get bought a diary every year but I will confess the last two or three stand empty much to my regret.

• 4 months later...
Just wondered who keeps a log of all the things they shoot ? I thought about setting up a database in which i could add pictures and notes but a little unsure on how to do it .

roadkill

Road kill

A good example of a log book can be found HERE I have been using them for a while and find them the dogs.

Regards

Airborne

I have kept an Excel document every year for the past 6 years. It details everything myself and my best mate shoot. It is good to look back through the years and compare totals.

As a still a bit of a novice at shooting live game & fowl I had been keeping a rough note of where, when, what, weather, tide etc and who with but for this season I thought I would do things in a word document.

Ollie you say you use excel, I am not very good with excel, is it some thing you made up yourself? if so how easy?

Cheers

BBL

As a still a bit of a novice at shooting live game & fowl I had been keeping a rough note of where, when, what, weather, tide etc and who with but for this season I thought I would do things in a word document.

Ollie you say you use excel, I am not very good with excel, is it some thing you made up yourself? if so how easy?

Cheers

BBL

thats 2 of us m8 interested in how though

Kept a fishing/shooting/countryside diary since 1984, however found that Diaries were taking up lots of space in my "man space" so in 2004 bougt a hardback notebook, which is nearly full, so will be using the John Humphreys Country Journal from next April.

I've always enjoyed writing, and I get quite a lot of enjoyment out of re-reading it.

Tight Lines

Aled