Road tax

Boromir

Last year I paid £175 for my road tax on a jimny. Just got my new form in and its now £200 for 12 months. Why does it always rise and this year its a big jump.

Must have gone up recently, the tax for my Jimny was only £175 at the end of March :blink:

Edited by KPV4

Because if the government allow you to keep any of your money it gives you a certain amount of freedom of choice.

If they take it all through one form of theft or another then they can keep you endebted to the banks (who they also cream off) and therefore have the ability to use the threat of losing your home/car etc to keep you in line where they want you :blink:

A bit topical this one...

The last Conservative government had a rolling 25 yr old tax free program for old cars.

Labour stoppped it in 1998, hence only cars before 1973 are tax free.

Will the new government bring it back?:blink:??

Last year I paid £175 for my road tax on a jimny. Just got my new form in and its now £200 for 12 months. Why does it always rise and this year its a big jump.

My tax has gone down this year?

£120 last year, £110 this year

My tax was £120 last year for 12 months; this year it is £90 for 12 months :blink: why is that? Also what I don't understand is that it is £44.50 for 6 months and £90 for 12 months; where is the logic in this? Why would I pay more for 12 months than I can pay in 2 6 month instalments.

My tax was £120 last year for 12 months; this year it is £90 for 12 months :blink: why is that? Also what I don't understand is that it is £44.50 for 6 months and £90 for 12 months; where is the logic in this? Why would I pay more for 12 months than I can pay in 2 6 month instalments.

Normally, to tax a vehicle every 6 months works out more expensive, owing to the 'paperwork' created. I can't understand how your's works out cheaper if you tax it every 6 months instead of yearly.

You could tax a real car for that :lol: Only kidding, a couple of Krauts had a self drive Jimny on a jeep safari when I was in Benidorm & it handled it's self OK - till some eejit volunteered to drive it back to the garage for them :blink: hardly any clutch & gear stick like stirrin poridge :hmm: plus Benidorm in rush hour & never driven abroad before - I followed Hector Brocklebank's (google real radio wind up's) motto "strait thru" :P:lol::lol: :lol:

Also what I don't understand is that it is £44.50 for 6 months and £90 for 12 months; where is the logic in this? Why would I pay more for 12 months than I can pay in 2 6 month instalments.

Are you sure it is not £49.50? there is no road tax band of £44.50 for 6 months!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ownin...cle/DG_10012524

Mine was £205 for 12 months, the renewal said £190 yet it had gone up in the budget. Seeing as though they only send the renewal a few days beforehand you would think they could get the price right.

You could tax a real car for that :lol: Only kidding, a couple of Krauts had a self drive Jimny on a jeep safari when I was in Benidorm & it handled it's self OK - till some eejit volunteered to drive it back to the garage for them :lol: hardly any clutch & gear stick like stirrin poridge :lol: plus Benidorm in rush hour & never driven abroad before - I followed Hector Brocklebank's (google real radio wind up's) motto "strait thru" :lol::rolleyes: :o :o

LOL, Yer a bad man Tam!! :) My mate has a Jimny as his run about/shooting wagon, and loves it, his wife drives a Disco, which to my mind is a tad strange...motor mixup methinks..:)

I drive a V6 Challenger, ( the "van" according to the wife) and he came over to collect me in the Jimny one day, she says, what a lovely car!!!!

Anyway, sorry for hijacking...my tax has gone from £190 to £205 !! and they didnt even tell me..:(

This rise has been expected.....

a couple of years ago Gordon and his mates decided that car tax would rise dramatically,

Mine (x-trail) was due to go from £210 to around the £400 mark, it was then pointed out that with the crash happening and seeing as my tax band was also 1.6 vauxhall/ford territory that it would seriously affect the working man,

So they decided to put it up by £5 last year (£215), they did... then up to £260 this year (it only went up to £245 :lol: ) and it was supposed to be £270 next year, but we will have to wait and see :lol:

shaun