If I ever need cheering up

Boromir

If I ever need cheering up i Simply watch a Spitfire. I would give up shooting just to fly in one. I think they were one of the greatist machine ever built and one that pretty muche saved our country.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

I'm quite lucky in the fact that I live fairly close to a large RAF base, so for whatever reason they are flying I can always get out to see them. We have had two flying very low and fast around here before now, the roar and rumble of the 28,000CC supercharged Merlin makes a Euro fighter coming in sound like a school boy with a scraped knee.

Fantastic machine agreed-but the hurricane did the majority of the work during the war-without the Spitfire the war may have been a little longer-without the Hurricane it could have been lost.Despite all we read about the threat of invasion during the battle of britain-the germans did'nt stand a cat in hells chance of invading our shores-Churchill knew this as did most of the top brass.Even without air superiority the english could prevent invasion by using a tiny proportion of her navy.

I have been fortunate in a past job, as an avionics technician, to work on a number (3 or 4) of late model spitfires, never got to fly in one though. From recollection few of them had two seats. I shared similar awe as yourself but came to learn that it was the humble hurricane that actually contributed more signifcantly to the defence of our nation. Worked on one of those too, at the time one of only three globally that were airworthy, and the only privately owned one. Scary amount of wood in their construction which is why so few remain.

Miss the aircraft but not the pay, it was appalling with some people working on several aspects of maitenance purely as a hobby :rolleyes:

BTW - P51 Mustangs are pretty darn awesome too :hmm:

edit: nation, even

Edited by Raja Clavata

I have been fortunate in a past job, as an avionics technician, to work on a number (3 or 4) of late model spitfires, never got to fly in one though. From recollection few of them had two seats. I shared similar awe as yourself but came to learn that it was the humble hurricane that actually contributed more signifcantly to the defence of our nation. Worked on one of those too, at the time one of only three globally that were airworthy, and the only privately owned one. Scary amount of wood in their construction which is why so few remain.

Miss the aircraft but not the pay, it was appalling with some people working on several aspects of maitenance purely as a hobby :rolleyes:

BTW - P51 Mustangs are pretty darn awesome too :hmm:

edit: nation, even

I think anything with a version of: FAM-Merlin-Engine-Model-5.jpg in it is pretty darn awesome!

If I ever need cheering up i Simply watch a Spitfire. I would give up shooting just to fly in one. I think they were one of the greatist machine ever built and one that pretty muche saved our countr

Now, although I speak as a lover of the old Spit myself, strictly speaking the Hawker Hurricane did more to actually save the country, the Spitfire was just more popular because it looked better, but seeing the Battle of Britain flypast is AWESOME

What a coincidence my Uncle is rear Gunner on the milk float that drives down your street :rolleyes:

Well tell him to have a word with the ******* pilot and tell him that if he charges me for milk again when I leave a No Milk Today note out, he's going to get a SAM missile right up the Khyber :hmm:

Well tell him to have a word with the ******* pilot and tell him that if he charges me for milk again when I leave a No Milk Today note out, he's going to get a SAM missile right up the Khyber :hmm:

EXCELLENT, you should of been on stage ,after it had bee n swhee :rolleyes::rolleyes: pt

Love the sound of the big old war-birds but based on a bit of reflection if I had a choiceI'd have a ride in a P38 lightning :hmm:

Not that long ago you could take flights in P51D's in the US for not a completely outrageous amount of dosh. I chickened out of a free test flight in one which proved to be a very lucky escape :rolleyes:

And you thought you were putting milk on ya cornflakes all this time :rolleyes:

If your Sam shooting is anything like your clay shooting I reckon he aint got anything to worry about. :rolleyes:

Love the sound of the big old war-birds but based on a bit of reflection if I had a choiceI'd have a ride in a P38 lightning :hmm:

Not that long ago you could take flights in P51D's in the US for not a completely outrageous amount of dosh. I chickened out of a free test flight in one which proved to be a very lucky escape :rolleyes:

My old man flew lightnings for 19 and 56 squadron, and the guy who lives opposite him (the old mans no. 1 weapons trainer when he ran a training squadron) is now one of only two registered lancaster pilots and has just retired from flying the BBBF Lanc.

AB

BBMF, not BBBF, finger trouble

Edited by blackla

My old man flew lightnings for 19 and 56 squadron, and the guy who lives opposite him (the old mans no. 1 weapons trainer when he ran a training squadron) is now one of only two registered lancaster pilots and has just retired from flying the BBBF Lanc.

AB

That's pretty cool. I remember watching one take off at Lakenheath (the day the Vampire and Meteor collided mid-air) and was literally blown away by the noise, power and awesome rate of climb.

One of my grandfather's did not feature in the war because he had a prosthetic leg, the other served on quite a few campaigns and I remember him telling me how he shot a Junkers (forget model) down over Dover. Everyone else cheered as it hit the ground; he told me he puked.

Fantastic machine agreed-but the hurricane did the majority of the work during the war-without the Spitfire the war may have been a little longer-without the Hurricane it could have been lost.Despite all we read about the threat of invasion during the battle of britain-the germans did'nt stand a cat in hells chance of invading our shores-Churchill knew this as did most of the top brass.Even without air superiority the english could prevent invasion by using a tiny proportion of her navy.

here here! :rolleyes:

I watched the battle of Britain memorial flight over lake windermere, a Lancaster bomber with a hurricane and a spitfire on each wing and I still get a shiver up my spine thinking about it,the whole crowd was mesmerized by the sound.it certainly made me proud to be British and something Ill always remember.