anyone remember

bignoel

When I were a lad..... late 60's the old man kept a pony a mile or two away in a field. He used to walk it back to the house on a friday evening, ride it over the weekend and take it back to the field on sunday. I used to go up to the field with him to get "buttons" and there was always this kid, urchin like sitting on the fence. " half a crown to look after your 'orse for the week guv?" I asked the old man what it was for as I didn't see anything had been done. "exactly" he said. When I was a few years older I understood what he meant. This lad and the rest of his very kind family, who incidently ran a rural business from the caravans they lived in selling hand made clothes pegs, would have made sure something DID happen to the pony if the money wasn't paid. :good::yes: You have to admire the never ending ways they can diverse to get lots of money without working :lol: :lol:

What would that amount be worth today?:lol:???

Edited by turbo33

I remember selling petrol at the local garage for 2 shillings and one (old) penny a gallon in about 1970, as a 15-year old kid (for the kids on here now, that's about 10 and a 1/4 pence a gallon, for premium economy petrol) _I wish it was that price now :good:

Edited by Bloke

Yeah I remember them all right. For 2 x 10 shilling notes (for those babies among us) was £1, I could get drunk on a Saturday night. A £1 would get me 9 bottles of Guinness at 1 and 9 each and have enough left to get a halfun of whiskey. Hic :good:

I remember selling petrol at the local garage for 2 shillings and one (old) penny a gallon in about 1970, as a 15-year old kid (for the kids on here now, that's about 10 and a 1/4 pence a gallon, for premium economy petrol) _I wish it was that price now :good:

Hi

Iam sure it was more than that then because i can remember my old man moaning about the price of petrol reaching 5 bob a gallon he had a ford pop and that must have been about 1964/65

Geordie

I can remember those "brown uns" only too well (Unfortunately). My first job back in 1967 when I left school was as a poultryman and my wages were 5 pounds 2 shillings and 6 pence for a basic 44 hour week! Out of that I was expected to pay for all of my own clothes and "entertainment" as well as paying in towards the family housekeeping. I used to make ends meet by going shooting with my double barreled 16 bore (An old side by side that was made by Robert S. Garden of London) for rabbits which I could always sell for more than the price of the cartridges and never get enough of them. In winter time the price of the rabbits would go up as I would ferret them out and the butcher would then buy them from me as well as my neighbours! I had to skin and gut them but leave the heads on them to show that they had not caught Mixy for the neighbours but the butcher wanted them gutted but"still in the fur" to hang in his shop window!

Times were a lot harder in those days but oh what happy days they were!

my first job when i left school was an apprentice welder and i was paid £4 19s for a 42 hour week , doudle diamond was 1s 7d a pint

Out our way (as I recall) a pint of Scrumpy was about 9 pence a pint and the more bits there were in it the better the pint was!

Duncan, I can remember the TV advert for Double Diamond and the "jingle" that went with it - "A double Diamond works wonders so drink one today"!

Hi

Iam sure it was more than that then because i can remember my old man moaning about the price of petrol reaching 5 bob a gallon he had a ford pop and that must have been about 1964/65

Geordie

That's it then - me memory's gone, just lead me away and put me somewhere safe ! :) B) :hmm: I won't disagree with you, it's just what I remember, it seemed really cheap even then.

I passed my driving test in 1962 and father bought me an Austin A35. A gallon of petrol in the village garage cost 4s 11d and the insurance with the co-op cost me £6 7s.

Packet of Durex cost 3s 9d (not that I knew what they were for) and I earned 2 shillings an hour on the farm

but for the life of me I can't remember how much cartridges were but I think they were about 2 shillings a bang.

We got taken to court for poaching pheasants on the big estate and got fined 10 shillings each and had our shotguns confiscated.

I passed my driving test in 1962 and father bought me an Austin A35. A gallon of petrol in the village garage cost 4s 11d and the insurance with the co-op cost me £6 7s.

Packet of Durex cost 3s 9d (not that I knew what they were for) and I earned 2 shillings an hour on the farm

but for the life of me I can't remember how much cartridges were but I think they were about 2 shillings a bang.

We got taken to court for poaching pheasants on the big estate and got fined 10 shillings each and had our shotguns confiscated.

3/9 you was ripped off, 2/6 for 3 our way.