multi tool

shot shot

seeing as I turned 18 last month, I've finally started buying the stuff that I've always wanted, but not legally been allowed to buy. Now it's the turn of the multi tool, and the choice is between Gerber and Leatherman. Both makes seem to have a loyal following, and I understand that the leathermans come with a lifetime guarantee (unsure about gerber). So I'm appealing to you lot. What would you have, and why?

budget is £50 ish, and want something that will last a lifetime

cheers :)

You won't be disappointed with either make.

John Norris of Penrith have one on offer with a headtorch @ £37.99 - I have one and I'm very happy with it.

Item code JJN400

You know because it's a locking blade you can't carry it around with you 'just in case'.

You won't be disappointed with either make.

John Norris of Penrith have one on offer with a headtorch @ £37.99 - I have one and I'm very happy with it.

Item code JJN400

You know because it's a locking blade you can't carry it around with you 'just in case'.

that's not an issue, when the situation arises, I carry a pen knife

A mate bought me one of these,

http://www.shop4gerber.co.uk/gerber_suspension.html

It is a fantastic tool,always make sure it is in my pocket when out in the field,has a real quality feel about it.

The only thing that went wrong was the pouch had a tear start in the weave,so i emailed Gerber to ask for the price of a new pouch,they sent me two pouches free of charge :) good customer care.

I have had both. Leatherman wave and a Gerber legend. As has been said, you wont go wrong with either :good:

I lost the Leatherman some years ago so I cant really comment on how well it will last, but the Gerber is now 10 years old and is still in excellent working order :)

Leatherman Blast for leisure, Fuse + screwdriver bit set for work. Both quality.

Not knocking Gerber, just haven't tried one.

Throw all the cheap ones out!

Is the locking blade an issue? I thought that less than 3" wasn't. If I get stopped they're tools of my trade and I need a knife.

Is the locking blade an issue? I thought that less than 3" wasn't. If I get stopped they're tools of my trade and I need a knife.

If it locks you need a good reason to carry it. You can't have it in your pocket 'just in case'

From the BASC's knife guide:

There is an exemption in law for folding pocket knives. These must have cutting edges of less than three inches and blades which do not lock.

http://www.basc.org.uk/download.cfm/docid/...7ED46C927D34652

I agree it's daft, but you could end up with a criminal record and losing your guns by carrying a Leatherman. Madness.

Its a Leatherman Wave for me.

Sterling service over many years.

I bought mine in Costco for around half the price the gunshops want.

webber

Another vote for Leatherman & Costco (free knife too :rolleyes: )

You may want to look at SOG and Victorinox. I used to sell multi tools when I had a shop, and the four most popular were, in order of sales, Gerber, Leatherman, Sog and Victorinox. Victorinox was the most expensive but the options were phenomenal.

You could buy one with the usual 7ish blades, right up to one with enough tools to service a Swiss watch or a Space Rocket, and it would still fit in your pocket. Some even had a mini torch. I did in fact sell these mostly to US. Servicemen.

They are all good quality and at that time, they funnily enough, sold in order of price, the cheapest one at that time being the Gerber. If you want to use your multi tool for what it was initially designed for, then keep away from the cheap Chinese versions. Just my opinion, as I have seen these variants twist and break with the first real job they had, something as simple as changing your common household plug.

You may want to look at SOG and Victorinox. I used to sell multi tools when I had a shop, and the four most popular were, in order of sales, Gerber, Leatherman, Sog and Victorinox. Victorinox was the most expensive but the options were phenomenal.

You could buy one with the usual 7ish blades, right up to one with enough tools to service a Swiss watch or a Space Rocket, and it would still fit in your pocket. Some even had a mini torch. I did in fact sell these mostly to US. Servicemen.

They are all good quality and at that time, they funnily enough, sold in order of price, the cheapest one at that time being the Gerber. If you want to use your multi tool for what it was initially designed for, then keep away from the cheap Chinese versions. Just my opinion, as I have seen these variants twist and break with the first real job they had, something as simple as changing your common household plug.

you needn't worry about me buying a cheapy chinese version, my father has gone through more than enough to put me off. There's one kicking around the house somewhere which has seized on one side, and gone all floppy on t'other. Same deal with all the tools, so yeh, the quality was lousy.

The SOGs are about the same price as the leathermans, So if I was to go for one, I would have to be assured of the after sales support