Are there less pigeons around this year

Has any one noticed a dramatic decline in numbers of pigeons

very few around Cheshire. Did notice alot of shooters showing no restraint on

frodsham marsh even though they would claim they are interested in

conservation'!! If there's less around stop shooting them when not doing damage, some people need

reminding pigeon shooting is not a sport!!

They are a pest when doing clear damage to

crops, they are less so when no damage is being done!

My question wasn't there aren't many and where could I find some?!

It was has anyone else notice their numbers seem lower this year

after the hard long winter! Smart ****

Are you one of the anti shooting brigade. :balloon:

conservation'!! If there's less around stop shooting them when not doing damage, some people need

not round my neck of the woods shot more in july than ever have done in same month.

good intro for a newbie that should endeer yourself to everyone on here..just to remind you this is a pigeon shooting website not the..RSPB

Your having a laugh :balloon::hmm::D:yes:

I've not shot pigeons this spring or summer as there is no pigeon problem on my farms. However, the grass seed goes in tomorrow and the new rape starts over the weekend. This might change things and bring more around.

I cannot answer if there are less or just not seeing them because they are elsewhere. I know many have been on much more clover this year and not on the barley because the barley stood up better this year.

The next week will show me what numbers are about.

As a bonus my farms are signing me for .243, so roll on FAC.... now the long wait for the visit and questions etc

After the hard winter round our way and the very few we shot on spring drillings the general

feeling was less birds, between two of us we have shot 400 in 10 days on swathed rape and

stubble, never seen so many birds they are everywhere at the moment.

same thoughts this spring in one particular area was the worst ever and we were thinking were the hell are they.. now in the same area they are all over the place and hundreds of young birds amongst them we shot 50 young woodies out of a bag of 70 on tuesday.

There did not appear to be the numbers around here possibly because they had not started flocking.

Now they have started cutting the rape and barley suddenly there are flocks of several hundreds everywhere, all quite eager to drop on the deeks I am pleased to say.

A few yrs back after a very hot summer with less places to drink a throat infection ( someone will know the latin name) took hold and killed say 90% of observed birds in North oxon. It could be the same infection after such a dry summer.

I used to go to roost woods with my son not to shoot but to see birds by the thousand come in - now only a few. True it could in part be shifting populations. :blink:

Fewer Pigeons? This is the reason why!

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...131956&st=0

Thought the old white woodie might come back to haunt me :blink: Cheers Jim!! Rest Assured I have learnt from those 2 fateful errors of judgement and will never commit such a heinous sin ever again!!

But back to the topic. Round Herts the numbers do appear to be picking up with the harvest, but as I am burdened with the white woodie curse have not had any bags of a noteable size!! Hopefully things will change soon as sizeable donations and frequent offerings have been offered up to Hypaflapa :huh:

i,ve shot under 50% so far this harvest compared to last year,gamedealer says long way down on last years woodies

There was a major lack of birds on my perms title the end of june then there was massive influx and over the last few days alot of young birds have come off the nest .

I was one of the forum members who was concerned over lack off birds after the winter and to some point IMO was right to keep it real over overshooting during the hardest period of the winter .

But the good old has amazed me and bounced back it will show over the next two months where national where we are in terms of pigeon numbers .

So ask the question come end of oct and I think you may get a more def answer.

Regards OTH

round jodrell bank in cheshire at the mo the numbers are markedly down ,this time last year i was getting bags of 40,50,60s best so far is 12 an only minimal corn cut on 1300acres. some in the know down here say they go abroad for the winter,in that case dont blame the beggers for staying put ;) .what i have noticed is alot more farms are growing barley/wheat round here, they could be alot more spread out i wonder,jus my thoughts