Who makes and takes a pack lunch to work

Cookiemonsterandmerlin.

My question is do you take a pack lunch to work or cant you be bothered.

The reason I ask I have just got back from the garage and ever time I am in there at 7am the brickies etc from a large site are there buying rolls drinks etc.

They on average spent a tenner each this morning now I know thing are tight I always take sandwichs etc as its so much cheaper but other still seem to being spending money on cooked food which equals VAT on top .

So what do you guys/gals do.

Cheers OTH

I generally take a salad to work with me, but occasionally I will buy hot food from a fastfood joint/ roadside cafe/ sarnie shop - depends what the day has been like!

Like you say, some blokes I work with spend £5-10 a day on takeaway food - their choice I guess, but £200 a month is another holiday or two each year!

We ran an early morning cafe and some guys would eat

an all day breakfast then buy a packed lunch box :lol:

And still come in at lunch time for thier dinners :good:

about £15 quid a day,even had one bloke would eat two

kingsize breakfasts at £3.50 each then a dinner and take

home a meal for after work he was about 10 stone and 5

foot 8 tall :rolleyes:

We ran an early morning cafe and some guys would eat

an all day breakfast then buy a packed lunch box :lol:

And still come in at lunch time for thier dinners :good:

about £15 quid a day,even had one bloke would eat two

kingsize breakfasts at £3.50 each then a dinner and take

home a meal for after work he was about 10 stone and 5

foot 8 tall :rolleyes:

Obviously his mrs keeps him busy when he gets home ;) lol!

I would usually take a lunch from home. I have a mate who i work with and go shooting with and he is mustard for buying everything in, garage in the morning for sausage rolls, crisps, chocolate,cigs and lucozade a tenner, most lunch times Mc Donalds, KFC or chippy, when we go for a shot on a saturday the same. Then he will bleet in my ear that he never has any money and is forever borrowing cash and cartridges of me when we go shooting. The concept of trying to cut back a bit was losed on this boy!!

I spend less than £6 a week and that gives me a morning snack and lunch.

A large pack of rolls from the supermarket gives me two a day, fillings are ready mades from Tesco, cheap but taste OK, grapes and a banana or orange.

That does me until I reach the pub on the way home :rolleyes:

These days I dont make a packed lunch as I work only 30ft away from my kitchen :crazy:

When I worked for a living in an office I used to go the the local sandwich shop, about £3.50 a day.

£200 a month bills werent out of the way for some of our regular

customers they wouldnt even blink when they came into pay,and

we had a few husband and wife partners etc paying joint monthly

bills of around 300 a month.Could you imagine some of these

people using the more popular coffee houses now, I reckon they

could be spending a helluva lot more,a friend is addicted to cos/coffee

at 2.99 a cup and drinks about 4-5 a day from a motorway services.

packed luch all the way for me! 2x6rolls in tesco for £1, 10 slices ham for £1.50, yogurts 5 for £1 10 crisps £1 and fruit..whatevers there on offer! works out under £7 for the week! some guys i work with spend this in a day..!

whats better still, the wife puts it all together for me ;):crazy:

must admit i spend a forune a week on my snap :good:

i'd love to find time to make sarnie's but i'm up at 5:00 am have a shower then walk the dog's and straight out to work at 6:30am.don't even get time for a cup of tea so buy a coffe at the local garage :good: .

i've tried making them the night before but find they go all soggy ;) .sometimes i'll feel guilty about the money i waste and go through a stage of making the effort but it rarely last's longer than a couple of week's :crazy: .

can't really put on the missus anymore as she's up with me in a morning to see to the chicken's before she's off to her horse then onto work.

if i reckon it up i spend £50/£60 a week on my snap for work

Lived and worked in Cardiff for 5 years, after Wales **** 6 Nations in 2003 i was skint (i'd drowned my sorrows too much)

Realised i was spending about £10 week on sarnies from the shop. So i walked round tescoes with £10, got enough bread, ham, cheese, tomoatoes, apples and crisps for my weekly lunch. On top of that i could buy pasta, minced meat, onions tin of tomatoes mushrooms, for three evening meals, OR potaoes sausesges or a pork chop and a bag of peas, plus 4 cans of tescoes bitter. Everything even the bitter was tesco home brand the one above the blue srtipe, and tasted fine.

Remember this is 7 years ago mind. Learnt my lesson regarding value for money, enjoy a lunch out about 1 a month, sandwich box the rest of the time.

Cheers

Aled

I take a packed lunch to school in the week generally consisting of a pasty, chocolate, crisps, haribo / other shockingly healthy items of food.

On a Saturday I buy lunch at work (Sainsbury's staff canteen) and generally end up having at least 2 plates of food (2 seperate dinners) and a drink for about £3 in total.

FM :crazy:

Until recently I used to buy lunch every day, takeaway every other evening etc. I sat down with the mrs and looked at our money situation because things have been a little tight lately and decided we're now on a self imposed takeaway ban! I make lunch now unless I'm close to home (that's why I'm here now, lunch break). We have one takeaway of our choice per week because cutting it out completely would be sad, but there's no need to do it to the extent we did!

It's incredible what it cost us. I worked out between us we were spending £240 per month just on takeaway, then maybe £6 average per day on my lunch, so another +/- £120? That's £360 per month, over £4k per year! :crazy:

EDIT... My mrs just pointed out, imagine if we were smokers too!

Edited by njc110381