Rolex Watches

Doc Holliday

My dad bought a patek philipe (sp?) back in the fifties and it's still going strong. Lovely slim watch. I could see the point in buying an expensive watch back then, as normal watches were unlikely to keep going. Nowadays though, you can get a cheap timex for £30 and spend your hard earned on something more entertaining.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, like cars there is no real "exclusivity" unless you go for a Bugatti Veyron or something of that ilk. I see equal numbers of Panerai, Rolex, Brietling and Omega. The one brand i do not see a lot of is Patek Philippe.

We all have our favourite guns, it's the same with watches

I bought a GMT mk 1 in 1993 for £1050 , without box or original papers . Sold it for £2700 minus commission and took the family on holiday . Enjoyed wearing it until watches were banned at work . On the whole a very worthwhile purchase . Would like an Explorer 2 if I ever get the chance . The value lies in what it is worth to the individual but you will never lose money on a Rolex if you choose correctly.

Anyone have a rolex? in particular the Explorer II. Looking at suggesting one for the OH to get me for Xmas & birthday, seeing as I didn't want her to get me what she had planned to for my 40th.

I would like to hear from anyone who has one and if they really are worth the money. Or maybe there is something else which is a better buy, possibly.

Thanks in advance, as always,

Doc

I have been collecting and studying watches for over 30 years I have a collection of some 25 of the top marques including Rolex, Tag Heuer, Breitling, Movado, Hublot, Patek, Longines, Omega, Jaeger and Vacheron. These are my pension!

I also have nearly 100 vintage auto self- winding and mechanical watches. (My dad has over 1500) I don’t collect battery operated quartz watches as the watches heart is the mechanical movement not an inferior fuel cell!

Most of the top marques actually do produce their own movements, some have been subbed out over the years like panerai who used Rolex movements on some of their early divers watches and the better the mechanical movement generally the better and more expensive the watch. If it’s got a defined image attached like the Omega & Rolex (James Bond) or Panerai (Arnold Swartzeneger) or Timex ( George Bush ) :lol: lol the like then you are going to pay probably much more than they are actually worth as you are buying a status symbol to some extent.

Bear in mind also that a service of a mechanical marque is going to be needed at least every couple of years ( if used regularly) and will be £150 plus.( excluding parts !) If you took the case of a Valjoux movement for example you will see why. The good movements will not normally depreciate in value over the years.

If you are looking for an excellent Swiss watch well-built with an excellent movement, robust for everyday wear and yet stylish, accurate and not too expensive then have a look at the Oris range of watches. I have a Big Crown, A Formula 1 Auto movement and a Ladies day date auto in my collection and they are superb value for money.

If you just want a bit of bling and are not really concerned about the function of the watch then buy a Replica with a Japanese movement…It will keep going and going.

Tissot also make some very nice mechanical watches at sensible prices.

Be very careful as there are a lot of fakes out there. It is easy in fact to distinguish a real watch from a fake if you know where and how to look.

Back to your original question..If the fund are available buy the Rolex any discerning watch collector or enthusiast will know that its real. ;)

Edited by Fisherman Mike

I am in the market for a watch. I have been looking for a while.

A mate of mine collects watches and is looking out for one for me.

I tried on a "Hulk" last night, nice watch but very "green" :)116610LV.jpg

Not very keen on that. To be honest every time I see a rolex I wonder if it's a fake. That's one of the main reason I went for an Omega.

If you just want a bit of bling and are not really concerned about the function of the watch then buy a Replica with a Japanese movement…It will keep going and going.

Tissot also make some very nice mechanical watches at sensible prices.

Be very careful as there are a lot of fakes out there. It is easy in fact to distinguish a real watch from a fake if you know where and how to look.

F.M.

i must admit to collecting watches myself, i dont know what it is other than the appreciation for a well engineered movement, i have a number of the big names and a number of the not so big, i think as F.M. says above, you develope a love for the finer works, some i my favorites believe it or not are my Kenneth Cole's, they just look so well made, Citizen, Tag, Bulova, Movado, i love em all sand will continue to collect the ones i like, nver really had the urge to pick up a Rolex yet,,, maybe one day.

did get the Tissot touch Racing, a novel idea, knowing how Mike dislikes the battery type, you must admit its a fun one Mike.

Martin.

I know that shop! I have been there a few times, very cheap cigars!

I see the link above has changed, but you know the shop I mean.

I nearly bought a fake Rolex from last year, but this year I bought the real deal from St Lucia.

I got the Explorer I, very nice and discreet looking...and very good price compared to UK + exchange rate. Got it at about £1500 less than UK.

rolex-explorer-i-reference-214270-692x1024.jpg

Edited by V8landy

I quite like Bell & Ross, like the military style but don't think they'll appreciate value very much :hmm:

br03-92-carbon.jpg

I do quite like the idea of buying a watch as an investment though... Just need to find a couple of grand spare first!

Edited by Schern

Hi

I've had several different Rolex watches over the years - still have a Submariner Date. These are timeless pieces and will always appreciate in value, in particular the stainless steel version.

Servicing every few years does add up plus keeping them insured against all risk (in and out of the house) - having said this wouldnt be without it.

The Omega Seamaster range (also certified chronometers) are also worth thinking about, amongst other marques. Ball Watches (Engineer Series are also different and unlikely to be found on many wrists (http://www.ballwatchusa.com/)

Have a look at Horology Magazine (Smiths do them) - gives lots of info/detail.

If you catch the bug you will need watch-winders!!!

Over to you.

Servicing every few years does add up plus keeping them insured against all risk (in and out of the house) - having said this wouldnt be without it.

I have not got mine insured, I guess my first port of call should be my house insurance?

Whats the typical servicing costs? And is every 5 about right?

Edited by V8landy

I quite like Bell & Ross, like the military style but don't think they'll appreciate value very much :hmm:

br03-92-carbon.jpg

I do quite like the idea of buying a watch as an investment though... Just need to find a couple of grand spare first!

I've got a BR01-92. A lot of people ask about it as they aren't that popular.

had a GMT master 2 for about 4 years, not let me down once stands me at abut £1500 with box and papers, had it valued at £2,500 so i got a good buy, over the years i have had loads of steel bracelet watches some pretty good makes too and always had problems with pins snapping and braking straps, this one has been worn everyday and is great. i once knocked the bessel off as i got in the discovery and just waked the edge on the door frame, couldn't believe it but the local Rolex dealer sorted it and serviced at the same time for £150 so not bad.

br03-92-carbon.jpg

I think they will.... infact I think the Square Aviators watches are a design classic and will be very collectable. :hmm:

I am in the market for a watch. I have been looking for a while.

A mate of mine collects watches and is looking out for one for me.

I tried on a "Hulk" last night, nice watch but very "green" :)116610LV.jpg

My mate did have one of these in rose gold :yes: It was absolutely ******* HIDEOUS :sick: He then spent a fortune on changing the face to red and the bezel to gold :no: Still ******* hideous :lol:

br03-92-carbon.jpg

I like that one :yes: