Gun On Train

TJ91

Thinking of visiting my uncle who lives a good few hours away and cant be bothered to drive..i thought about going on the train, book a ticket in advance and hopefully get it cheap...thing is i really want to take my gun so i can do abit of rough shooting with him on his permission.

Can i take shotgun on the train with me, if so, is there a fee, forms to fill out etc...??

Taking your gun (broken down & in its case) is perfectly legal. Just make sure you have all your documents! I'm not so sure what the position would be on cartridges, though. You'll probably get the answer on that from either the rail compeny or BASC.

I've flown up to Scotland from Birmingham with the gun with no hassle, although I did worry about how to phrase the "I've got a gun" bit at check in.

Cheers

TT

Planes are OK (at least easyjet and BA, I think Ryanair won't handle firearms) but Trains are generally a no-no unless you talk to the train company and get their express permission. I asked about this once and they said no, so I broke the gun down and buried it in a big holdall. :good:

see here (search for guns)

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galle.../misc/NRCOC.pdf

A Beretta 391 gun case fit's nicely into a army kit bag -run a small chain through eyelets and put small padlock on it- I took it on airport coach and put it on rack above my head - never said what it was just personal stuff I wanted to keep an eye on.

Dave

Phone the train companies with whom you are going to travel and get their advice.

BUT If they say no, accept it and either don't take it with you or drive. Last thing you want is the BTP dragging you off the train if for any reason (as unlikely as it may be) you are found to have a gun on the train with you.

http://www.herts.police.uk/firearms_licensing/security.htm

if firearms are transported on public transport they should be covered in a suitable slip case and remain with the holder at all times, except, for example, when carried as cargo in the hold of an aircraft.

Just don't leave it.....

Edited by HDAV

I have no car at the moment and I have used all types of transport with my gun and ammunition on my person. I live in london as well, I have checked the laws and as long you keep hold of it at all times, its discreetly concealed and broken down its fine. Normal people haha would never guess or care what it is!! Just a word of advise don't buy a branded gun case to break it down into, a beretta case leaves a little less to the public imagination. I get a bus to my clay ground in north london, I get a train to Stevenage to shoot pigeons and I have even been down to Marble arch (Central London) bought a gun and got the tube home with it in a cardboard box. My firearms officer wasnt too impressed but its totally legal, it might be worth giving him a call to let him know what your planning though in case you get pulled. Also definitely take your licence with you at all times. There is no law that you have to have your licence with you either but the police have the right to confiscate your firearms until you present a valid certificate. Basically that was my short essay on it but if anyone has any corrections on it please let me know as well.

cheers

DoobZ

Doobz, its nothing to do with the law on carrying it in a public place. The train companies have the right to say what you can and cannot carry on their trains. I guess worst case if you're caught with it they could do you for armed trespass. Its their trains, their property, their rules.

i know this aint a a ****gun but iv traveled to newcastle lots of times with out a problem and thats just in a rifle bag! all i do is dont take any pellets with me and keep empty mags in my pocket. iv been looked at alot by the train blokes and stopped at th egates in newcastly station but only to ask what was in the bag and where am i going with it! no problems at all really :good:

atb macca

,,there be no problem,i did it a few years back went pigeon shooting up to montrose for a few days by train then coach from manchester picadily,had the barrels sticking out of the bag, :good: coverd up mind. keep a visual on it i would say.just act the grey man.just say you have valubles in the bag thats why you are keeping it near. just dont say MAKE MY DAY PUNK :yes:

or maybe something like this : bag

i have something similar to this for when im travelling abroad on holiday ( without gun ) which is a different colour to this and mines a little bigger ( think i paid bout £45 from a normal travel shop ) .. the base takes quite a bit of abuse ( thats why i bought it sick of broken cases due to airport staff ) ... BUT mine will take a brakedown case in the bottom :good: ..... and just pack the clothes ( if needed ) in the top bit ..... job done ur just goin on ur jolly's :lol::yes:

Travelling with guns on a train - yes to can subject to the usual common sense, broken down, trigger lock, certificate, no cartridges with the gun, and not in a gun slip where everyone can see what it is, etc.

Getting your bags searched - why and by who? If you tell the world you are carrying then you leave yourself wide open. Keep your own council and who is to know your business?

Getting your bags nicked - if you keep telling people that you need to keep hold of, or sit near, because you have valuables in the bag then you may as well put a flag on your hat saying "rob me".

Not that long ago it was the perfect norm for a person travelling up to Scotland on the sleeper to just put their guns in the baggage car with their other luggage. Nobody turned a hair.

Societies perceptions of guns and transport has moved on, but actually the laws have not changed much. It is not permitted to have an assembled gun in public without legitimate purpose, and a gun in public must be sleeved or cased. But transporting a sleeved or cased gun is legit so as long as the carrier, ie bus, cab, train, airline; has no internal regs to comply with for taking a gun with you, or as secure luggage.

The basic advice of others is all good - break the gun down, don't have amo with it, separately sent or packed or bought at the destination - and either the gun stays with you all the time or is secure with the carrier.

Another tip, is to separate the fore-end and pack it in another place. In the unlikely event of the gun going missing, it is incomplete and not much use without the fore-end. Most wont fire or are difficult to fire without the fore-end fitted.

The law says you must make adequate arrangements for the security of your weapons, and at the time of transport locked hard cases and separated components would all be seen as prudent measures.