halal meat

holly

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/1556...res-on-the-sly/

i saw this monday it seems a lot of the big supermarket chains are selling the unsuspecting public halal meat would this concern you ?

i personally would prefer to have it marked so i could make a choice :yahoo:

I personally believe in a humane kill so it ought to be marked! Moreover, they are also open to litigation from Sikh community as eating of halal meat is not allowed!

Wonder what the animal rights activists have to say here?

Listened to an interesting debate on the radio a while ago which discussed recent research that should that the animal showed less stress and pain when slaughtered in that way so ,therefore ,it is a more humane way to kill an animal.

I dont have a problem with it, but perhaps it should still be clearly marked.

Listened to an interesting debate on the radio a while ago which discussed recent research that should that the animal showed less stress and pain when slaughtered in that way so ,therefore ,it is a more humane way to kill an animal.

I dont have a problem with it, but perhaps it should still be clearly marked.

Gunshot is the fastest and least "stressful" (not that the animal knows :-)) way

Please see a few videos on youtube on both the processes - that will give you a good idea.

/S/

A couple of very good points are raised here. Firstly, if you don't like it then don't trust the supermarkets. Got to your local butcher where the source of your meat is known and usually fairly local.

Secondly, with the rapid blood loss and supply to the brain cut, how much sufferring actually occurs? Some brief pain is a fact of life of you want to eat meat. It's a sad fact but there you go, that's how it is. When we shoot something the death isn't always instant. It's quick, but then getting the main arteries in your neck sliced isn't exactly slow!

I think too much fuss is made over the ways of other cultures simply because they're not using methods we're used to. They still work. As for the Sikh community not being able to eat it - well that's up to them to sort out.

I purposley buy halal chicken from my butcher as it tastes better,just try the difference between cheap c.r.a.p from asda or tesco and proper butcher style fresh meat.

My butcher is 100% english but caters for everyones needs on request. even game rabbit pheasant goose partridge and pigeon,

Just try proper halal slaughtered fresh chicken to the s.h.y.t.e bought from our english killed sloppy meat.

Edited by jonevo

Halal isn't humane. Ask a slaughterman not a radio presenter.

Personally I try my best not to buy anything from the supermarkets, they kill diversity and local communities; I liken them to parasites. But I accept my views can sometimes be a little on the strong side for some.

They should let people know, but then there's the process of gas flushing meat so it appears redder and stays fresher longer and the ubiquitous use of brine injection to increase weight that are hardly mentioned either.

I'm sorry, I just can't understand why we have all these shooting who refuse to eat anything halah, where I have seen countless rabbits, pigeons, and pheasants shot and left suffering far longer than any halal slaughter animal.

Perhaps because I don't tend to hang my ferreted bunnies upside down, slit their throats and watch them bleed out. I prefer to break their necks so they expire in the least stressful way. Same as shooting really, I try wherever possible to head shoot everything. Occasionally that goes awry but a follow up shot soon puts an end to the suffering. I don't tend to shoot pigeons with anything other than an air rifle (so head shots again), but most shotgun pigeon shoots I've been on the vast majority of birds are dead in the air or soon after.

Hanging a heavy beast up in the air by it's feet, then slitting it's throat just doesn't sit right with me.

Edited by mick miller

Halal isn't humane. Ask a slaughterman not a radio presenter.

Personally I try my best not to buy anything from the supermarkets, they kill diversity and local communities; I liken them to parasites. But I accept my views can sometimes be a little on the strong side for some.

They should let people know, but then there's the process of gas flushing meat so it appears redder and stays fresher longer and the ubiquitous use of brine injection to increase weight that are hardly mentioned either.

I have to admit I've slipped back into lazy habits and started going back to supermarkets, I had stopped using them and tried to buy all veg etc from local farm shops and buying beef from a friend when he slaughters a cow - it does so taste much better!!

I object to Halal slaughter and won't knowingly eat meat killed that way. I even avoid takeaways which use it. However I buy meat from my local butcher, the only meat bought from supermarket is cooked ham for sandwiches.

I believe that halal slaughter is in-humane in this day and age and wish to eat meat killed as humanely as possible be it head shot game or captive bolt or stunned first. That is my belief and I don't see why my beliefs should be any less important than the beliefs of those who wish to follow a halal diet.

Any meat should be labled Halal if it has been killed that way then we all have the option to choose, but most places won't want to advertise it except to those in the minority who want it.

I have said to a muslim colleague in the past that halal slaughter was probably the most humane way of killing an animal 1400 years ago but as technology has progressed then its about time that their religion did too. He had no argument but still adheres to the diet.

Don't know about Kosher slaughter how does that work?

:good: I dont believe in religion of any sort, love a bit of goat , couldnt give a toss if some religious fruitcake blessed it before it died.....still taste the same!!! :hmm:

I actually saw a goat slaughtered by a muslim colleague and believe me it was quick, seconds only....that had to be the sharpest knife ive ever seen!!!!.......................and once it was served up in a curry at his baby naming ceremony tasted bloody awsome!!!

Edited by Evil Elvis

Koster slaughter is carried out with a long very very sharp knife that severs the juglular veins in the throat, the animal is not rendered unconcious in any way. unconciousness is instant as soon as the veins are severed. this must be done with one clean stroke of the knife that has been washed in holy water, if it takes more than one stroke of the knife to do the job the meat is not classed as Kosher and the carcase will not be used by the Jews, it would then enter the regular foodchain the same os the hind 1/4.

I object to Halal slaughter and won't knowingly eat meat killed that way. I even avoid takeaways which use it. However I buy meat from my local butcher, the only meat bought from supermarket is cooked ham for sandwiches.

I believe that halal slaughter is in-humane in this day and age and wish to eat meat killed as humanely as possible be it head shot game or captive bolt or stunned first. That is my belief and I don't see why my beliefs should be any less important than the beliefs of those who wish to follow a halal diet.

Any meat should be labled Halal if it has been killed that way then we all have the option to choose, but most places won't want to advertise it except to those in the minority who want it.

I have said to a muslim colleague in the past that halal slaughter was probably the most humane way of killing an animal 1400 years ago but as technology has progressed then its about time that their religion did too. He had no argument but still adheres to the diet.

Don't know about Kosher slaughter how does that work?

You are spot on.