• 11k to 21k
    • 21k to 31k
    • 31k plus
    • 11k and below

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it may well be I asked a polite question with a poll so nobodys know each others income .

Why is it that if some do like a question they have to post a rude reply why not just give the thread a miss.

Kind regards OTH

Maybe when you've got '30,000 acres to shoot over' and 'connections others can only dream about' they're wondering how you're only making £50/day 'supplementing your main income' ?

Just a thought.

Oh, and I am semi-retired, own my own home, no mortgage, private pension but work from home as a consultant, where i keep my 3 cars, 2 competition vehicles, boat, caravan etc etc.

Not nice when people gloat is it?

Edited by JR1960

Maybe when you've got '30,000 acres to shoot over' and 'connections others can only dream about' they're wondering how you're only making £50/day 'supplementing your main income' ?

Just a thought.

Oh, and I am semi-retired, own my own home, no mortgage, private pension but work from home as a consultant, where i keep my 3 cars, 2 competition vehicles, boat, caravan etc etc.

Not nice when people gloat is it?

Fair point the reason I asked this question and put a poll was it seemed that if I earned 20k a year if I let days out be it pigeons or ferretting that my income would be excessive .

But looking at the poll I would be Mr average earner at PW as a shooting guide .

Cheers thats for the input OTH

So, as suspected it was attached to the previous string.

If you're professional, give a good days sport and instruction if necessary, i'm sure no-one will grudge you earning a decent recompense and there is definitely a place for that.

The increasing number of people who are fortunate enough to have gained permission then take the p**s by sticking a hide in the corner of a field and charge someone less fortunate to sit there all day watching the clouds roll past (and in my opinion abuse the privilige they have been given) and farmers who want to charge for someone else to protect their crops get up my nose i'm afraid.

It used to work that crop protection was carried out for free/ the shooter had free access/you helped the farmer every now and again, dropped him the odd rabbit and a decent bottle of Whiskey for xmas. Win/win. It would be great if we all tried to keep it that way.

So, as suspected it was attached to the previous string.

If you're professional, give a good days sport and instruction if necessary, i'm sure no-one will grudge you earning a decent recompense and there is definitely a place for that.

The increasing number of people who are fortunate enough to have gained permission then take the p**s by sticking a hide in the corner of a field and charge someone less fortunate to sit there all day watching the clouds roll past (and in my opinion abuse the privilige they have been given) and farmers who want to charge for someone else to protect their crops get up my nose i'm afraid.

It used to work that crop protection was carried out for free/ the shooter had free access/you helped the farmer every now and again, dropped him the odd rabbit and a decent bottle of Whiskey for xmas. Win/win. It would be great if we all tried to keep it that way.

what goes arround comes arround so to speak, we've had it round us guides tying up huge areas of ground, then watching pigeon numbers build up feeding on certain areas till they think their customers will have a good day and then the penny drops with the farmer. the couple of quid an acre he is getting simply isn't worth it in terms of crop losses and they let the keen shooter back on who will be there when they call them. Personally I'd go back to charging old ladies lots to take down conifers its an easier way of making a living

Yes it may well be I asked a polite question with a poll so nobodys know each others income .

Why is it that if some do like a question they have to post a rude reply why not just give the thread a miss.

Kind regards OTH

If when you ask a question and you are not prepared to accept negative replies,then I respectfully suggest that YOU don't post.I'm entitled to an opinion the same as anyone else.

Alan :hmm:

I took a £10K pay cut 3 years ago when I stepped down from a senior position, my quality of life is much better.

I don't allow any tradesmen on the premises after a **** builder did some poor work for me, i refused to pay him the full amount because the work was of a poor standard.

I do all my own work, make my own requirements.

I have studied hard for several degrees and post-graduate qualifications and I believe my pay reflects this.

Not many people could do the job I do so as Thoreau said "A man is rich in proportion to things he can do without"

SMUG ***.... :hmm:

yup

only smug as i work hard, dont live beyond my means, and only have as many children as i can afford. Im not going to reel off my finances, but when times are hard (and at times they are) i can hold my own. :hmm:

Isn't it funny how some people don't like their income known. Is it an old fashioned thing or do some people just like to have secrets? I'm quite happy to admit that my official earnings last year after going through the accountant were in the lower bracket, and no I don't do that many cash jobs!

So, do the rich guys hide it because they think others will dislike them for it? Do poorer people feel ashamed of being in the lower bracket? I don't know. I have rich friends, I have poor friends but one thing I will never do is judge someone by their wealth. If they work hard that's what matters and whether it's earned them millions or just enough to survive doesn't make them any more/less respected.

I could do with a bit more income at times but we get by and have a lot more to our name than some. It's right that you could sit on the dole and have an easier life but would you be happy with it? I couldn't do it that's for sure!

I'm a winner not a loser. I may not earn a fortune but I do my bit and that means a lot to me. I have nothing against genuine people who claim benefits either by the way. The losers are the ones who play the system to get all they can and deep down they know who they are. I work for a perfect example - claims disability and has his gardening paid for yet drives a brand new car and lives in a £300k+ house that's by no means easy to get to on foot or otherwise. How's that ever right? :blink:

If you give me £100 I will tell you. :blink:

Don't think your poll will tell you anything though, something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, I don't see your £50 is unreasonable I just don't think there will be a market for it.

As others have said looking at income alone is misleading because it doesn't represent commitments, household income overall or market conditions etc.

Dan

Well this is interesting. I can honestly say over the 37 years I have been working for a living I have been made redundant with very little or no payment. I have always found work and done anything to bring in a wage to pay the bills. I have had to turn my hands to gang work on the land too, more than you can say about our so called long term unemployed. I do feel for the minority who want a job but can't find anything, but the ones I class as unemployable should be cleaning the streets for their benefit money. Women included. I class myself as fortunate now, I earn good money, but I have worked hard and sometimes long hours in what many would say is a dangerous job, to get what I have. Maybe this governments ideas on dole and benefit cheats is a good idea, I will feel better when I know my taxes are going to the right people and cause's

Ok who's next to get on the soapbox !!!