big boys !!!

rimmie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never shot a big shotgun. I'm jealous of some of you above!

Rifle wise, .375H&H mag which is actually not that bad IMO. It's a very nice round. My .338 Win Mag is only a couple of hundred ft-lbs behind it and that's a bit more punchy. I shot a .338 Lap too but that was a heavy gun so quite gentle. All of these will push 5000+ft-lbs but I would really like to shoot a true big bore like a 460 Weatherby or .458 Lott. That's real power!

Pistols, well I've fired .44 magnum and .50AE. The .50 wasn't all that nice! :oops:

Edited by njc110381

In a previous life I got to fire all sorts of exotica, 12.7mm DsHK, .50 Barrett, I've even fired an RPG-7. Nice to say you've done it, but the the novelty of firing big stuff for the sake of it soon wears off.

In my pistols shooting days it was the guys who bought .454 Casuls, 50 AEs etc and had all the gear and gadgets, who seemed to me to be the ones who soon got bored and moved on to some other willy waving pastime. The old boy firing his 150 quid Webley Mk V1 one handed could out shoot them all.

I concur that this is no word of a lie!

Biggest size wise for me is .50 cal BP rifle, still a lot less kick than steve's nagant even with loads of extra powder in there

My Mosin Nagant with heavy ball ammunition.Perhaps not the biggest calibre at 7.62x54R,but its a right cannon and the recoil is something else! :oops:

A , "Dirty Harry" magnum whatever that was, I had an aquaintance who was heavily into handguns in pre Dunblane days.

What I recall of the event it certainly was not a hand gun to shoot single handed. On the other hand it was fun playing cowboys with this guys .38 cal revolver. I might add all this took place on a private range.

Blackpowder

You may not believe it, but an ex WW2 field gun.

My mates dad, a true eccentric farmer, bought the deactivated ex Czech/Russian field gun.

Forced the breech block to open it and made a plate to fit in with a metal valve and a sparkplug welded to it.

Block the end of the barrel with a wad of straw, fill the barrel with an oxy-acetelyne mix from a gas welding kit, connect the spark plug via a ignition coil to a battery and BOOM.

A long time ago about 1990.