one eye open or both

ashley c

91 members have voted

1. 1. hi do u shoot with one eye open or both eyes open when using a shotgun ??

• both eyes open
    • only one eye open
    • both eyes to find the clay then close one eye for aiming

hi all i been shooting for a couple of months now, i shoot with only one eye looking down the rib of the gun,

i took a friend to a pratice shoot to find he was a prety good shot i asked him how did he aim and he sead with both eyes open.

i neather thought about it untill then how many people shoot with one eye open or both open ??

If you can, 2 eyes should give better focus, depth and view. But for some one eye can be better.

Try thinking of it as a total focus on the target and the gun going where you are looking?

I was brought up on shotguns 2-eyed and now have think to shut one for a rifle ...... not a mission just what I'm used to!!

hi all i been shooting for a couple of months now, i shoot with only one eye looking down the rib of the gun,

i took a friend to a pratice shoot to find he was a prety good shot i asked him how did he aim and he sead with both eyes open.

i neather thought about it untill then how many people shoot with one eye open or both open ??

i started off shooting with one eye as i had only shot air rifles before.but as i was righthanded and right eye dominant i changed to both eyes open.

bornfree

Same here,it took a while to get right but with dots on the glasses it does the trick

Keep both eyes open read a few eye dominance threads on here and find what is best for you,might be training your eyes or a new illuminated front bead, or dots or may be all stick with it you will get it sorted , but do not change your gun till you get it sorted,and practice your gun mount it all helps

..Too much time on PW I think...

I've never heard of someone having little or no depth of field, with two working eyes

Well you have now, one of my pupils (my left) isn't perfectly central in my iris, its a well known thing especially people with stasbismus and what I have! I truely have no binocularity.

I can't use binoculars, and at work I do a lot of micromanipulation with microscopes, but use a video feed as I only see down one of the turrets, if I 'swap' eye my focus and field is different.

I'm stuffed if they introduced eye tests for driving, although I compensate perfectly as I have not known any different, but years back I failed the eyesight test for the Police because of this.

Edited by kyska

Also 2d world for me as I have two squints ie independent eyes so no depth perception to speak of 3d films look the same as 2d too me

:good: So we don't make it up then.....how is your 2d world? I felt very put out when I went with my daughter to a 3d film.

I shoot with both eyes open.

I have a small piece of scotch tape on my glasses over my left eye as I am cross dominate.

It works well for me, i don't even notice it is there now.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Geoff

i have this same problem i am cross dominate. i shoot left hand but my dominant eye is my right side. i find i rearly hard to shoot both eyes open as i see two ribs like ime cross eyed think i will try a bit of tape over the right eye and see how that goes thanks for all the good advice

i have this same problem i am cross dominate. i shoot left hand but my dominant eye is my right side. i find i rearly hard to shoot both eyes open as i see two ribs like ime cross eyed think i will try a bit of tape over the right eye and see how that goes thanks for all the good advice

Sounds kinky ,

Depends how dominant your master eye is and how good your other is, I tired everything, easyhit, vaseline, scotch tape etc (none of them worked) now i shoot LH its not a big deal and make life a lot easier having both eyes open, if you have minor dominance then they should work. closing one eye meant the target moved and wasnt easy to find again, have met some guys who shot on eyed for 20+ years then after a trip to the opticians (eye dominace often changes around 45-60) they shoot both eyes open and all say it is much better. learning to shoot LH isnt to bad takes a about a month but depends how long you have been shooting R/H

• 1 year later...