Keeping chickens in the garden

Fatcatsplat

We are thinking of getting a couple of chickens for the back garden to keep as pets (and for the eggs to give the kids a little more insight into where food comes from). Mrs FCS thinks there is a covenant in our deeds saying we are forbidden from keeping livestock and i'm a little confused as to what constitutes livestock - As far as i'm aware, it's defined as animals or poultry kept for profit - Anyone know?

Who built your house? If there were any covenant in the deeds and the building contractor has gone bust-then any covenant is void too.Many had odd ones like no caravans or walls/fences in front gardens and even tv ariels,but everyone ignores them now as they're pretty much unenforcable.

As for the legalities of keeping poultry-i keep 5 hens for eggs and the only stipulation with my local council is i cannot have a cock bird (obviously the noise issue).Keep them clean and your neighbours will likely be blissfully unaware you even keep hens.By the way three hens is a good number to start with.

As above we have 5 hens, also not allowed a cock but we have no issues, ours are not in any sort of pen and just free roam around the garden, we have never had any complaints but we also bribe our neighbours with eggs :good:

Interestingly in the local paper this week a local lady who is a housing association tenant who was told she had to get rid of her chickens won a fight to keep them based on some bi-law stating that you can not stop people from having them, if interested I will go and look the article up again.

Anyway I agree get some, 3 is a great number to start but my wife quickly got attached and wanted more. They are very messy though and we clean the hen house out once a week and also have to clean the garden up quite often.

Its up to you what you do, at the end of the day its your property!!!! I have 11 hens and 1 cock bird, aswell as 5 dogs let alone all the vehicles we have and noise that goes on, nearest house is about 300 yards away, no one complains, so I suppose it depends on your neighbours. I would say go for it, there fun to keep too, and fresh eggs on a Sunday are the best thing apart from waking up next to my Mrs for a you know what, hahaha.

You'll get rats.

:good: which you can then spend many hours trying to outwit and trap, almost as much fun as keeping the hens !!!

i have half a dozen hens and have kept them for years, not sure what my deeds say but if it became a problem i would just rehome them (or eat them)

go for it, its thoroughly rewarding and if you have children they will love collecting the eggs, there are lots of fancy breeds out there but if you want eggs you cant beat the warren (brown farmyard type hen)

You'll get rats.

I've been keeping chickens 3 years and never seen any evidence of rats. As long as you clean up spilled food and your sensible you wont get rats.

Anyway back on topic, as mentioned covenants aren't really enforceable and lots of other legislation may take precedent (Allotments Act, human rights Act etc) that will allow you to keep chickens.

The bit about getting 3 chickens to start off is excellent advice.

cheers

We are thinking of getting a couple of chickens for the back garden to keep as pets (and for the eggs to give the kids a little more insight into where food comes from). Mrs FCS thinks there is a covenant in our deeds saying we are forbidden from keeping livestock and i'm a little confused as to what constitutes livestock - As far as i'm aware, it's defined as animals or poultry kept for profit - Anyone know?

We started off with 6 hens of warren type (bred for egg laying) lost 4 in one night to a fox :o Now have just the two so we get on average a couple of eggs a day which is fine as its only the wife who'll eat them, neighbours buy some, my mother has some but complains they're to fresh.

my next project is to raise hatchy eggs and raise birds for the table :good:

They are messy, but the poop and sawdust and straw goes in the composter and goes great on our two/three allotments, but be warned, loose chooks will wreck yer garden.

But, you'll love their character and comic antics, and as for rats, I've had one in 2 years, Now I have a Air rifle :good:

You'll get rats.

Not always.I've kept them for years now and no rodent activity here.My parents kept them too and we didnt get any either.Provided you keep them clean and elevate the coop off the ground (rats like to nest under them) they'll be fine.

If you do spot any simply remove the food at roosting time and put it out in morning.You can get poultry feeders which hang from wire which makes it much harder for rats to get to.Take away the food source and they'll move on.

We have a few hens, 4 cock birds and a small population of wild rats :blush: .

As others have said, you will probably get rats and have a messy garden :hmm: . Rats are an occupational hazard that comes with keeping numbers of animals outside. They are scavengers and are only doing what they do best and seizing an opportunity - all you can do is try and control numbers :good:

The chickens nip all the buds off the shrubs in the garden, dig holes in the lawn for dust baths and cover the patio area in droppings. Yes, we get free eggs - after we've paid to feed the hens :blink: . They are noisy, especially when all 4 lads are trying to attract a hen, but I really don't mind that and I try keep the neighbours sweet with eggs :good: . The old boy a few gardens away breeds Light Sussex too so the birds are often calling to each other which makes the din a little more widespread.

Add the noise of barking dogs from every other house down the street and the sound of shotguns from Park Lodge and it's far from a quiet country village, but at least it's not so popular with townies wanting to move out here :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you've got a small, neat garden I'd definitely think again.

3 hens

No rats

Kids love em

At least 2 eggs a day

No noise

Imperfection's knowledge is vast and helped me loads when I first started, oh and get an omlet eglu, expensive yes but worth it.

Maintenance - approximate 15 minutes per week (other than filling up food and water)

Try a few Quail,much easier to keep,less messy,smaller,dont need too much room,and the kids will still be able to collect the eggs,only problem is the eggs are smaller :yes: BB

and need to be kept caged, dont live as long, more prone to health issues, and trying to dip your toasted soldiers in a quails egg is pretty tricky :lol:

Definately go for it, very rewarding and they are enjoyable to watch....

But be prepaired to lose your garden if you let them out, they are very destructive.

Rats can be a nuisance, even if you dont have a real problem yourself they will come in from other gardens... everyone has rats near them, they just dont see them.... nothing a trap and airgun cant sort out.

I've got 13 left out of 18 after Fox attack in broad daylight, you have to be vigilant and try to keep them secure.

Have also got 2 Goats , 2 big dogs and 4 cats..... and the neighbours dont mind at all.. must be like living next to a Zoo !

the hens are hybrids (brown Rangers ) which lay up to 320 eggs per year, but they won't stay at that level of laying for more than 18-24 mths , after that get rid and start again.

Try http://www.practicalpoultry.co.uk not a bad site for a novice, plenty of tips.

Should have said, should be no problem keeping them , most people love to see them and unlikely to have any restricions for home use.

Dave :)

Edited by MK38

The not-so-fantastic Mr Fox that lives next door means we've lost too many hens to replace with fancy breeds, so we now get year old ex-layers from a local free range egg producer and pay £1.50 each, they are the plain-brown no frills type but they lay very, very well. We currently have 5 ex-layers and we're getting 3-5 eggs a day, even through winter.

One point not mentioned is the smell, especially on warmer days after a bit of rain :blink:.

They do a great job at getting rid of slugs and snails - we let them go through the veg patch and borders etc at this time of year and then again later in the summer/autumn when there aren't any young plants to damage.

Btw' you probably will get rats.

The not-so-fantastic Mr Fox that lives next door means we've lost too many hens to replace with fancy breeds, so we now get year old ex-layers from a local free range egg producer and pay £1.50 each, they are the plain-brown no frills type but they lay very, very well. We currently have 5 ex-layers and we're getting 3-5 eggs a day, even through winter.

One point not mentioned is the smell, especially on warmer days after a bit of rain :blink:.

the exlayers are good, i have had quite a few, they just dont last as long, the rapid egg production takes its toll ............

the smell is a good point ................ i throw down either straw or bark chippings into the run and then rake it out once a week as part of the clean and throw some more in, that seems to stop the smell

i sell my excess eggs for £1.50/half dozen at work, put the money in a pot and its surprising how quickly it tots up to enough for a curry and a few beers

finally buy a egg skelter so you always know the oldest are at the bottom

3 hens

No rats

Kids love em

At least 2 eggs a day

No noise

Imperfection's knowledge is vast and helped me loads when I first started, oh and get an omlet eglu, expensive yes but worth it.

Maintenance - approximate 15 minutes per week (other than filling up food and water)

Not that anyone has ever seen these imaginary eggs

shaun

Thanks chaps - Lots to consider there. Like the idea of quails - Love quails eggs!!

We have 6 quails as well, you have to keep them in an enclosed pen because they don't seem to have any boundary loyalty like chickens do. They still need cleaning just as often though and it took 4 eggs to make a decent sandwich :lol: wouldn't of liked to try for an omelette.

Covanents don't expire of the original builder has gone bust and you can't ignore them. If a neighbour complained about your poultry and the council investigated you would beout on a limb financially if your covanent specifically ruled against livestock. Covanents are designed to avoid problems caused to others. That's what they ae there for.

Contact the solicitor you used when you bought the house and ask them for a ruling on whether poultry are included. I suspect they will be.

I remember some years ago some people who lived a couple of doors up from us I should add that I lived in a market town in Wiltshire and the houses were semi detached with long gardens anyway they got some chickens and had to get rid of them because people were worried about them attracting rats the guy was a PC and owned the house that is all I now seems daft my Gran lived in Bath and had Chickens in a much smaller garden with no problems.

What is it with chickens?

My better half decided she wanted them so I did the decent thing and bought the hutch £140

She bought feeder and drinker £54 ( ganvanised Rolls Royce jobbies)

Feed etc etc.

Destroyed the garden and pooped everywhere so more money to build the coup.

3 Chickens at about 250 eggs a year each, they only need to live till about 45 till I'm in profit.

But she loves them so that's fine isn't it?

Oh don't worry about charley, neighbours are very excited because they have been feeding a family of them for ages!

Deep joy.

I think this is going to end in tears.