2011 Chilli (plant) thread

henry d

I planted tomato seeds a week ago and they germinated but have become very leggy, I think this is due to the room being too warm for them and not getting enough light... moved them to a cooler place with more light, so hope this does the trick. I will try and not let the same happen to the chillis when they appear, are they susceptible to becoming spindly? The ones so far look like fine examples

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can see a good of red bottys occuring in this forum after munching on all these fresh chilies :lol: :lol: :lol: .

But i think i may join you and see what i can bring on. Any tips on as on what chilies to grow and wear

to get them from. Not very green fingered but fancy having a go at this though.

DD

I got the grow your own Chilli Mini Starter Collection for B&Q today, so I will plant them tomorrow. It has Anaheium, Jalapeno, Cayenne & Scotch Bonnet seeds. As it's my first time growing my own chillis I hope it's not a complete failure :blush:

PICT0059.jpg

Sowed my seeds today. As per Munglers advice from before I have wrapped the pots in cling film. How often should I water them or will the cling film keep them moist? I have them on an East facing window sill with a radiator below; however, the heating is not on until about 6pm everyday. Will they get enough heat in the evening time with the radiator below. I will move the pots to South facing window sill when (or rather IF) they sprout.

My chilli's have started to germinate! Everything else I have planted seems to be getting rather leggy, I hope the chillis don't suffer from the same. They are beside an East facing window which is not ideal and perhaps the reason for my problems. Hopefully I can move them outside before too long...

Mine are in the shed and haven't shown at all yet.

Each time I read this thread I get chilli envy.

Is it warm in your shed?I always worry about keeping new seeds or plants warm,that's why I start mine in the kitchen.hopefully they will start soon.

Alan :)

No it isn't, it has a clear plastic roof so once the sun starts appearing it comes into it's own.

I have planted mine in the same ugly plastic window box that I used last year.

I don't particularly want to bring it indoors, and when I have mentioned it in the past I am told to be less impatient :rolleyes:

No it isn't, it has a clear plastic roof so once the sun starts appearing it comes into it's own.

I have planted mine in the same ugly plastic window box that I used last year.

I don't particularly want to bring it indoors, and when I have mentioned it in the past I am told to be less impatient :rolleyes:

If you have an easy variety like Cayenne then you'll still get plenty of fruits this year. A Habanero takes a lot longer to fruit, mine were still growing in November, some people reckon you only get a decent crop on the second year but the frost killed mine.

PICT0059.jpg

Sowed my seeds today. As per Munglers advice from before I have wrapped the pots in cling film. How often should I water them or will the cling film keep them moist? I have them on an East facing window sill with a radiator below; however, the heating is not on until about 6pm everyday. Will they get enough heat in the evening time with the radiator below. I will move the pots to South facing window sill when (or rather IF) they sprout.

Well after 12 days they have started sprouting, out of 7 seeds in each pot 5 cayenne, 1 jalapeno, 3 anahiem & 1 scotch bonnet have sprouted so far. However, as far as I understand the hotter ones take longer, so I hope a lot more Scotch Bonnets sprout in the coming week. How is everyone else getting on?

An update on the chilli's, all the seeds seem to have sprouted now and some are doing a bit better than others. Below is a picture:

PICT0060.jpg

From left to right - Scotch Bonnet, Anahiem, Jalapeno and Cayenne. The Cayenne have been the quickest growers so far, I am starting to get the 2nd leaves on the Cayenne. I have 6 or 7 plants in each of the pots so I am just waiting on the 2nd leaves to appear in all of the plants before I repot them.

At which stage do you guys repot your chilli's into individual pots? I am seeing the 2nd leaves starting on all the plants, but some of the 2nd leaves are further along than others. If someone could post a picture of what the plant looks like when they repot then I can work out whether mine are at that stage yet. Cheers :good:

Sooner rather than later, Ollie. If you leave it too late then their roots will be tangled and you'll end up breaking them. If their second leaves are coming then they are certainly ready for a pot on. Put them in small pots for a start and upgrade as necessary ;)

Sooner rather than later, Ollie. If you leave it too late then their roots will be tangled and you'll end up breaking them. If their second leaves are coming then they are certainly ready for a pot on. Put them in small pots for a start and upgrade as necessary ;)

Cheers mate, my Cayenne are slightly ahead of my other varieties so I repotted them today, I will repot the others at the weekend. :good:

Have I missed the boat ? I want to have a go at this.

Thanks

Adam

You haven't missed the boat if you go for a fast maturing type like a Cayenne. Not the best tasting though.

My Habaneros are coming along well, I moved them outside to the top shelf in the greenhouse about two weeks ago.

post-26510-0-04275000-1302625631.jpg