who's got all the pigeons .

Harnser

Just got in from a 7 am start pigeon shooting ,what a total waste of time . I didn't have a single shot and this has been the same for my last 4 outings . I shoot in the Aylsham area of Norfolk and have not seen hardly any pigeons for the past few weeks . Fields of fresh drilled cereals without a single pigeon on them and as for the rape ,total waste of time . The best bag lately was 38 picked up on beet tops ,this has now been ploughed in and drilled with cereals .

the rape shooting this year has been as dire as it was last year and last year was one of the worst that I can remember. My best bag lately was 38 picked up on beet tops . The beet has now been ploughed and drilled with cereals .

Please post on this thread where you are shooting and how many birds you have shot and what crop they are on . It will be interesting to get a better perspective nation wide where the birds are and what they are feeding on . Perhaps old Harnser is losing his touch ?.

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

I shoot in bucks and have been trying over rape since december. This is my second year shooting pigeons. Last year was good because it was new to me and just going out was fun. I shot a few but not a big bag. This year with more experience and multiple permissions i have picked my days and had no joy whatsoever. One day 3 weeks ago i had 13 and missed another 10 and i thought things had turned. This was the only time i have been able to get them to come in to the decoys. I went straight back out the next day but normal service had resumed and the birds just ignored the decoys. I have been constantly on the move from field to field but this is also a waste of time. I think the problem is there is so much rape especially here where i shoot that the birds feel no urgency whatsoever to feed and can just muck you about at their leisure. Summer shooting seems better to me as the flocks have gone and you can pick birds off on the flightlines. Harvest seems great as they seem to be on a mission and dive into the decoys wherever you are shooting. I think its just the way it is and we need someone to invent something that can bring them in. Whoever can will be a multimillionaire!!!

i was out at the same time set straight away got a pigeon then nothing all in all had four pigeons should of been around the tenmark but had some right **** shot easy ones aswell seems to be a problem every wherethe pigeons are there justnot decoying buti seen one bloke a few weeks back take 130 yet when i try nothing

WE'VE GOT 'EM ALL.

Sorry chaps, but we have plenty in the South of Cambridge, but until today, it has been really hard to get under them.

Cambridge, a place of learning and culture, hardly surprising they are all here really. They come here to learn how to keep away from you lot, but not us, we attend the same College, and learn their tricks.

Been out today and very slow we shot 20 had 70 yesterday and 43 on tuesday all on drillings .

Best bag on rape this year myself has been 78 had a few 30s and 40s but some low bags aswell . got peas going in and in so hope to shoot a good few more soon plus the game strips to be fully cut :good:

last 3 days south yorks north notts 1 on rape, 41 on rolled beans , 10 this morning on drilling this was a pot luck trip out has I had to be home for 12ish. Onway home yesterday 17.45 hours 500 plus feeding on rape on large estate no shooting allowed.

WE'VE GOT 'EM ALL.

Sorry chaps, but we have plenty in the South of Cambridge, but until today, it has been really hard to get under them.

Cambridge, a place of learning and culture, hardly surprising they are all here really. They come here to learn how to keep away from you lot, but not us, we attend the same College, and learn their tricks.

:good::yes: :yes: :yes:

Had a look at some drilling today was well over 2000 birds hitting it but there are 3 fields and farmer wont let me take anyone on so it could be hard work but will have ago if still there later in the week ,also saw a good 500 on some pea drills think they will build tho as only been it a day :yes:

just driving around i saw loads on quite a few drills and maize strips and again seeing birds on the rape :yes:

Edited by proTOM1

Been on 4 farms over Northumberland this weekend shooting over rape, (full day)Saturday and (1/2 day) sunday. Not one bird shot! 2 of us in the hide. 20 decoys out, magnet is back at the shop to be fixed, so it could be that? starting to feel a bit down about the whole thing to be honest.

Are the birds pairng up at the moment, is that why they don't decoy? They still gotta eat don't they????? :no:

Well, I shot 1 today at 7:30 this morning here in Hampshire. That's my third time on my permission, my first in the morning, and my first pigeon. I missed two others. It's a start I guess. He hadn't had much breakfast but what there was seemed to be clover. There don't seem to be a lot around.

I was sitting in my hide and, out of the corner of my eye, saw a pigeon sitting in the tree to my right. I thought it was a good sign and decided to leave him there. Ten minutes later, I thought I'd take another look at him. I slowly pulled the netting aside and saw that it wasn't a pigeon but some sort of falcon. It probably hadn't helped the pigeon situation having him sitting there. I clapped him off. Another one took a dive at my decoys a bit later. So I may not be able to attract pigeons, but I'm ace with birds of prey.

i've been out several times in the last 2 weeks and only had 1 reasonable day over rape bagging a massive 8. Some days i've hardly seen a pigeon until I get home. They're all over my bloody housing estate all day every day. Do you think the woodies have all moved to the towns for an easy life???

I've been out all day today. Checked out the recent drillings, no pigeons to be seen and a farmhand confirmed he hadn't seen any about yesterday either.

Drove up to the rape fields and after a good day, for me, on Friday was hoping for a bit more of the same especially as the wind had changed direction from an Easterly to SW. Got set up under a regular flight line and only managed a solitary feral, nothing flying about or in the trees, nothing lifted off the fields when I fired the gun to shake them up. Moved at lunchtime to the field I was on last week but in a different position to take account of the wind direction. Absolutely diddly squat, nothing flying around at all, mooched around the other fields and the same story there too. :/