Changed to .22lr

beanieboy

Good morning all - I am new to this forum, this being my first post. I have had a CZ American .17 HMR for a few years and have only recently started to shoot it in earnest. My son has taken an interest in shooting, and enjoys the rifle, hence the rifles recent outings. Have to say whilst the performance of this gun is very impressive, it seems, imo, just too much gun for rabbits. It is also very noisy and doesn't really allow for one to shoot without drawing attention. Moderators, as you chaps will know better than I, provide limited reduction. Even though the gun has only shot a couple of hundred rounds from new I took it to my local dealer and excanged it for a new .22lr in the same model, also buying a Parker hale moderator. I intend to use subsonic rounds only and would be grateful for some advice as to which one to go for. I know from reading through previous posts on this forum that views are mixed and that I will no doubt have to try a number of different rounds to see what goes best with my rifle [when I get it]. I would however be interested to hear which rounds you consider best in terms of accuracy, hard hitting etc.

PS Can anyone tell me how long the variation on my fac is likely to take for the change of rifle and the inclusion of the moderator? [i am from N Ireland]

Many thanks.

Edited by beanieboy

Welcome to PW. A good brand of ammo is Winchester Super X 40grn sub sonic. I have used many 1000's of these over the years, with no problems. It would be better for you to buy a few boxes of different brands, and try them in your rifle to see what it 'prefer's'

The Parker Hale is also a good make of moderator, is not a little bit heavy.

Good luck with your shooting.

Steve.

Hi, welcome.

Can't answer the FAC timescale bit as on the other side of the puddle. You really have answered your own question about the ammo: Try as many as you can; the best is the most accurate. From my own point of view, just try to make sure the Eley is amongst the samples.

Cheers

I have shot many Winchester subsonics without problem, but managed to get a single box of Eley which seem to be even quieter and just as accurate.

You can do better than the Parker Hale moderator, the Sirocco SM11 works very well and is cheap. It outperformed the more expensive competition in a magazine test, by a significant margin.

It always suprises me when people recommend Eley subsonics as I have always found them absolutely hopeless. The worst bullets I have ever used by a very long way, I would be better off throwing them at the target and hoping for the best.

Winchester subsonics are the best by far IMO.

This just goes to illustrate how some guns "prefer" certain makes of bullet.

It always suprises me when people recommend Eley subsonics as I have always found them absolutely hopeless. The worst bullets I have ever used by a very long way, I would be better off throwing them at the target and hoping for the best.

it certainly goes to show the op, that irrealivent of asking what rounds are good, its down to oneself to try different makes of ammo, all my mates use winchesters, and told me to buy them, which I did :blush: only to find it made for very erratict shooting, I swapped over to eley's, and was bang on 10 for 10 :good:

Why the surprise? As you say every gun is different. Winchester subsonics are average in my HW60J, Eleys are much, much more accurate, the best I've used by far (tried Lapua, RWS and a few others too). The only downside is I have to hunt for them round here as not many shops stock them and those that do take the **** a bit with the price.

I have always used Eley subs in my .22 Sako Quad but the shop had run out last time so I had to take CCI subs instead.

I didn't even have to change my zero with the new rounds! plus they come in a nicer box! ;)

As people have said, each gun likes different ammo - its worth reading your guns review on shooting times website or somewhere else as somebody is bound to have comprehensively tested it with diferent ammo.

good luck!

Thanks for replies chaps, very useful info. Any of you N Ireland lads know how long the FAC variation normally takes?

Anywhere from 6-9 months in the past for me but aparently lately theyre supposed to have got a kick up the backside from higher authority and I know someone who got theirs back inside a month.

Thanks for replies chaps, very useful info. Any of you N Ireland lads know how long the FAC variation normally takes?

Drop them an e-mail:- firearms@psni.pnn.police.uk , they will be able to let you know the timescales.

A major re-organisation is taking place at the moment, however, this will not impeed your application :D

Don't buy masses of ammo just buy a box of eleys and a box of winnies, see which you get on best with.

My cz loves winchesters, they are so accurate (as good as Lapua when I have used them) so I have never needed to try anything else.

I prefer at SAK mod as I like my .22 as short as possible.

I tried a selection in my new Ruger 10/22.

Eley subs

Remington subs

Winchester subs

All hollow point.

The Remingtons were just awful in the Ruger and were all over the place(but had previously been very good in my CZ452)

Winchester were reasonable, but the Eleys were BY FAR the better round in the Ruger in terms of accuracy and reliability.

As some have said, buy a box of each, and test them all in turn, stick to the best of those tested.

At 50 yds most stuff shoots in my own CZ (perhaps with the exeption of Remmington subs) Lapua (also branded SK) are the very best at 100 yds by some margin which is the range to test ammo in the .22 for accuraccy if you can as it shows up minor differences big time! CCI segmenting holopoints have also proven very good (though only out to 60yds or so) they do little for ricochets as claimed but they are awesome clean killers, winchester are also very clean killing subs (again not got great accuraccy at 100) but not in the same league as the segmenting CCi in my experiance. Neither of these shoot as good as the Lapua from my gun at 100 though and as accuraccy comes first it is these i choose most of the time, though its worthwhile having a few better "stoppers" in your safe for use in certain areas at certain times on certain quarry.

At the end of the day though you need to test yourself to find what your gun likes. Just remember clean well between brands and fire maybee 10 or more 5 shot groups per brand at a time from a well rested posision on a day with a light steady in your face or following wind (better still in a tunnel range if you have access to one). Then get back to the shop and buy as much of the favourite as you can

Edited by kent

Another vote for Winchester subs , my BRNO .22 lr likes them . In fact it is very un fussy apart from HV rounds of any sort which are hopelessly off target . SAK moderator does the business well enough too. Welcome to PW !

My CZ likes Winchester subs and my moderator is the sm11 from Sirocco.

My mate who shoots with me, same gun except his is 20" and mine is 16" always uses Eleys and his mod is tha Sak.

Just about sums it up for the different ammo brands debate I think!

PS Can anyone tell me how long the variation on my fac is likely to take for the change of rifle and the inclusion of the moderator? [i am from N Ireland]

Yep, the chat is that a straight forward variation is taking about 3 weeks.

I've just put the forms in to get a hmr on my FAC............ the dealer said it should be sorted in about 6 weeks.

Edited by the enigma