Hw80

Countrybumpkinboy

IMO the HW80 is arguably the best spring rifle ever made!My cousin had one when they first came out and I loved it!I recently got my brother in law to purchase one and he loves it also!A cracking gun and you could pick up a nice secondhand one for about the £200 mark.

The HW80 is a superb bit of kit if you can handle the weight-the cylinder on these guns is larger than most HW,s to allow a larger volume of air to be moved than normal guns and this allows a weaker spring to be fitted which in turn reduces wear and recoil.Changing the gun back to its intended output of 18ftlb simply entails refitting its original spring.

I'd call it reassuringly heavy but a sling makes all the difference. I wouldn't be without my one, I don't do much air gunning now but its always on standby in case anything edible or black and white appears in the back yard and it always does exactly as its asked. It loves having Prometheus SN2 stuck up its pipe.

The first gun i bought my self 31years ago now brillant guns, had one for 3yrs then i was seduced :blush: by a sharp innover.webley omega.theoben serroco dx.the list gose on but the most memrable first shots were with the HW80 3-9x50tasco phantom modderater pleated sling & eley wasp pellets,good time's, :good:

cheers chris. :good:

What do i think?

As a cheap moderate power FAC gun they are second to none running at around 18-20 ft lb- period end of story

As a break barrel "adult size" springer unbettered in 30 years

As a second hand rough duty ratter, you would be hard pressed to find one that wasn't serviceable

As a custom full tuned job,well i own a venom lazerglide built to my spec by Steve Pope about nine years ago-

To get it off me, you would have to pry it out of my long dead hands!

So some people think its heavy? its not meant for kids and it's partly that weight that helps it hold steady in the aim and dampens the vibration of the recoil. Like some have already said, dumped on a desert island with no tools and no spare parts you couldn't do better than an 80! :good:

Mine was a great gun, but very heavy.

Is it worth buying second hand? They are not too expensive new:

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/674b59e832e6232457106828/WEIHRAUCH+HW80/

If you do buy second hand, watch out as many will have been 'tuned'.

They are cheaper at Sportsman because they are not from HULL Cartridge.

Fantastic air rifle. Reliable and accurate, I know a couple of people who use these in HFT competitions. Mine has the .25 Steve Harper barrel and is fitted with a 4x32 scope on a one piece mount and a better shorter range rat and bunny gun will be hard to find imho. Around £200.00 is about right for a good one but it will last and last and hold is accuracy if you look after it. HW quality speaks for its self :yes:

The HW80 is a superb bit of kit if you can handle the weight-the cylinder on these guns is larger than most HW,s to allow a larger volume of air to be moved than normal guns and this allows a weaker spring to be fitted which in turn reduces wear and recoil.Changing the gun back to its intended output of 18ftlb simply entails refitting its original spring.

true ,however if youve ever read mike wades "power without powder"you can take them up to 26 ft/lbs.but boy do they recoil then :good:

had two of them !!mk1 and mk2.the mk 1 was in 1985/6,and had a pointed fore end on the stock.and the mk2 ,bought in 1994 has a rounded forend,apart from that theyre identical,keep a sharp look out and you should be able to pick 1 up around £190-250 second hand,theres not much to go wrong because of there solid build quality(after all they are german),nowadays i prefer my english air arms guns,bit any way best of look,and if you dont get any joy you could always try hw 35,hw 77k(excellent and cheap nowadays)or hw 85(rare)or original 45(im still looking for 1)and feinwerkbau sport 124 or 127.all excellent kit .good luck m8 ,regards jay