15 yr old at music festival

retromlc

stay or go  

115 members have voted

1. 1. camp over

I have a dilema,with a brief outline my 15 yr old has been ill with cancer for the last year and part of the treatment involved having his knee replaced and he still requires a crutch to get around.

He wants to go to a music festival aimed at the under 18's called "lounge at the farm" in kent and wants to stay/camp over with his friends,I don't feel comfortable with this and want to pick him up around 1 a.m and return him each morning.He thinks I'm over reacting as I feel that as there will be booze there and i will not be able to monitor his comsumption or protect him from others and the other people there if they get out of control.I keep thinking he might get wasted and injure himself or some other wasted Idiot might fall on him or jump on his tent and damage his knee etc.

Obviously he says I'm ruining his life LOL.

Am i being too protective and should I let him camp over?

I voted yes, you should let him camp. Being picked up by daddy at 1am will "ruin his life" if all his friends are there with him and have been allowed to stay. It is aimed at under 18's after all, so there should be at least a basic level of supervision?

You can over protect kids. When I was younger I was allowed free access to alcohol from an early age. My friend had to be in by 9pm and wasn't even trusted with a can of red bull! Now 15 years down the line he is just getting over a drug problem and I still don't drink that often. Because it was there it never appealed to me where as him - well as soon as he hit 18 he went nuts!

Tell him he needs to talk to his friends and make it clear that any messing about could trash his knee. If they're any good at all they'll keep an eye on the lad anyway but you can't wrap him in cotton wool forever.

I would let the boy go . If you know his mates have a quiet word with them and explain to them that your son is still not 100% and would they keep their eye on him for you . If his mates are really his mates then they will help him out . Give the boy a break and good luck .

Harnser

Provided you like his mates and think they are sensible or at least there's one mate that will do the worrying and looking out for him, then let him go.

Give him a mobile phone in case of emergencies and make sure he does the really dull thing of packing for every eventuality (headache, runnies, sun cream etc etc).

He will be well chuffed you trust him and let him go without flapping too much. It will make him feel good about himself and feel more independant. Some top advice above just make sure he knows he can call you if he needs you and remain on standby

Don't just say yeah you can go casually. Say to him yes you go but don't **** It all up and let you down. Tell him to enjoy it. Make sure there's plenty of credit on his phone and say you expect a text every 1.5 hours or so. He will be cool, no doubt have a few beers but he is 15. What was you doing at that age?

Let the lad go, he`ll have more sense than you are giving him credit for, he knows his knee hurts and will protect it, his mates know his knee hurts and will look after him, think of the home coming, you`ll be the cool parents who took the lead off.

Edited by malantone

I read the title and thought ***? a 15 yr old shouldn't be at a music festival.

Then I read the post and thought ***? why on Earth shouldn't he go.

ps. I am an old *** and have a son of my own, so know where you are coming from. I still say let him go.

My immediate thought was no.Then I read the wisdom of the forum and I changed my mind. Cowboy puts it brilliantly. All the other advice is spot on. Life is an adventure and as I found out today, we won't all get our allocated four score and ten, so live every minute.