long range

Not sure of the actual range but I once shot myself in the bum with a dart from a Gat air pistol :(

I understand it doesn't sound as impressive as castrating gnats and as I have quite a big bum it's a fairly easy target but I was firing away from me at the time and after circumnavigating the Earth it actually hit me at 4:52pm 8 days later. Obviously if I had been shooting in the opposite direction with prevailing head winds it would have missed as I would have gone home for my tea by the time it got there. An easy mistake to make but this is how you learn to shoot responsibly :)

Wise words Phaedra, and a timely reminder to always aim in the direction of a large mountain range.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some on here can and will shoot long range up to 1200 yards , but not at live quarry . Target shooting is a different matter and at least the results are marked by markers and witnessed .

Harnser .

You are correct Harnser, that is why I said 'most' on here can't/don't shoot long range.

It's a pity that any forum member that posts a perfectly reasonable statement has to be met with two pages of sarcasm and **** taking, but that's

the way this forum has been going for some time now. Most likely because it has more than it's fair share of keyboard shooters.

You are correct Harnser, that is why I said 'most' on here can't/don't shoot long range.

It's a pity that any forum member that posts a perfectly reasonable statement has to be met with two pages of sarcasm and **** taking, but that's

the way this forum has been going for some time now. Most likely because it has more than it's fair share of keyboard shooters.

Your not being fair there, its a brag post - its just that the exagerated claims are funny this time and a lot better thread for it i think, catweasles post was first class stuff :good: . I can shoot long range, whatever the definition of long range is being very dependant on the gear and the day. But there is something called f-class and it silences quite a few expert long range live quarry shooters with something to prove. Nothing realy bad about long range shooting if its within your own limitations but how can this be anything but the above?

Some on here can and will shoot long range up to 1200 yards , but not at live quarry . Target shooting is a different matter and at least the results are marked by markers and witnessed .

Harnser .

We shot the beretta world on saturday and on the way back we stopped at bisley.one of my mates wanted to look at a gun for sale at william evans gunshop,there was a rifle competition on across the road so i walked over and had a look and chat with a couple of shooters,they were shooting at 1200yards i asked how much drop you get,they gave an answer in MOA so i said whats that in feet he worked out it was around 31 feet.i must try that the next time i see a fox at 1200yards :lol:

bornfree

Your not being fair there, its a brag post - its just that the exagerated claims are funny this time and a lot better thread for it i think, catweasles post was first class stuff :good: . I can shoot long range, whatever the definition of long range is being very dependant on the gear and the day. But there is something called f-class and it silences quite a few expert long range live quarry shooters with something to prove. Nothing realy bad about long range shooting if its within your own limitations but how can this be anything but the above?

As some of you know, I shoot f-class, well f-t/r to be precise, i.e. tactical rifle, bipod & rear bag, which differs from f-class unlimited (AKA heavy class) where the rifles are basically howitzer barrels mounted on a big lump of a stock and controlled by huge mechanical rests etc...

Anyhoo... hitting a rabbit sized target at 500 yards is not overly difficult as long as you can read the wind well (and that is the killer!) my concern with claims like this isn't whether the shooter is capable of doing it but whether he can do it 1st time every time.. Remember with f-class we have sighters so we can measure the effect of the wind with actual shots and pull them onto the target that way before we start scoring. It is very unusual to get the v-bull (which is what we are talking here for a bunny kill at 500) 1st or quite often 2nd shot. Elevation is easy, read it off my dope charts out to 600, no need for atmospherics to that point and it will drop where I expect it to... windage is another matter, it usually takes one or 2 sighters to get it there and then it's a difficult job to keep it there..

So... having some experience at these ranges.... and waaay beyond, I am always sceptical... I won't mention the moral thing. But anyone who professes to being able to hit a bunny @ 500 1st time every time is talking absloute ****... a one off yep, I can live with that or even, after a few 'sighters' to get it on target... but then we have to ask... is it really necessary to be doing that if that's the case!

Edited by Vipa

Its not compulsory to visit this forum Browning and you are quite obviously here, but your right, by your statement please redirect this exceptional good shooting practice to a forum thats not full of keyboard shooters :lol::lol::lol:

Its not compulsory to visit this forum Browning and you are quite obviously here, but your right, by your statement please redirect this exceptional good shooting practice to a forum thats not full of keyboard shooters

I've actually been here for a long time pal, and still visit because there are a few that do know what they are talking about.

The problem I have is that "people that don't" are happy to slag off "people that do", even though the "people that don't" have never tried it

and have no idea what experience the "people that do" have.

I have to say its the kind of post you never know is quite genuine or not but you have to look at the odds of wounding a rabbit even at that distance as being fairly remote with a centrefire. We all have differences in opinion on ethical matters Redgum I think head shooting deer as your usual shot is a little iffy but don't ridicule for the opinion.

So far I've only shot rabbits to a bit under 250 yards but was mighty tempted by some at 400 plus the other night munching away at a cover crop in a valley

As some of you know, I shoot f-class, well f-t/r to be precise, i.e. tactical rifle, bipod & rear bag, which differs from f-class unlimited (AKA heavy class) where the rifles are basically howitzer barrels mounted on a big lump of a stock and controlled by huge mechanical rests etc...

Anyhoo... hitting a rabbit sized target at 500 yards is not overly difficult as long as you can read the wind well (and that is the killer!) my concern with claims like this isn't whether the shooter is capable of doing it but whether he can do it 1st time every time.. Remember with f-class we have sighters so we can measure the effect of the wind with actual shots and pull them onto the target that way before we start scoring. It is very unusual to get the v-bull (which is what we are talking here for a bunny kill at 500) 1st or quite often 2nd shot. Elevation is easy, read it off my dope charts out to 600, no need for atmospherics to that point and it will drop where I expect it to... windage is another matter, it usually takes one or 2 sighters to get it there and then it's a difficult job to keep it there..

So... having some experience at these ranges.... and waaay beyond, I am always sceptical... I won't mention the moral thing. But anyone who professes to being able to hit a bunny @ 500 1st time every time is talking absloute ****... a one off yep, I can live with that or even, after a few 'sighters' to get it on target... but then we have to ask... is it really necessary to be doing that if that's the case!

Yeah, pretty much as above however its very hard to wound a rabbit a 500 yds with a decent calibre c/fire so maybee your points of critisism are a little strong. I don't personally shoot at rabbits that far as i can get closer and wack them with the .22 sometime if i want. Crows are a different matter though but to brag about how far i have means nothing because if i shot at enough of them at 1000 yds i would hit some even by pure fluke.

Of course to correct elivation is not fixed to 600 yds as wind can change elivation especially on sloping ground and with respect of sigters on f-class how often do you shoot right through a card with the same windage? It is a great ego reducer though to a few "good shots" though aint it just :yes:

I have to say its the kind of post you never know is quite genuine or not but you have to look at the odds of wounding a rabbit even at that distance as being fairly remote with a centrefire. We all have differences in opinion on ethical matters Redgum I think head shooting deer as your usual shot is a little iffy but don't ridicule for the opinion.

So far I've only shot rabbits to a bit under 250 yards but was mighty tempted by some at 400 plus the other night munching away at a cover crop in a valley

Al4x your like a stuck record old mate, who's bin telling tales that head shots on deer are my usual practice. At 500yds a deers head is much bigger than a rabbit so whats the problem. :lol:

look lads i was not bragging and dont claim hit stuff 1st time every time it was a genuine post to see what intrest the was i have shot a pigeon at 1050yards with a 223 middlested costom built rifle owened and witnessed by greg t british f class champion so you tarrget shooters should know i am not lying

Not sure of the actual range but I once shot myself in the bum with a dart from a Gat air pistol :(

I understand it doesn't sound as impressive as castrating gnats and as I have quite a big bum it's a fairly easy target but I was firing away from me at the time and after circumnavigating the Earth it actually hit me at 4:52pm 8 days later. Obviously if I had been shooting in the opposite direction with prevailing head winds it would have missed as I would have gone home for my tea by the time it got there. An easy mistake to make but this is how you learn to shoot responsibly :)

My favourite! :D

I think your post is very Qualitative, however, i dispute the fact you say a bunny at 500 yards is BS, because it is good common knowledge that the HMR is no affected by wind, and it has already been stated that many members can shoot the HMR past 800yards regularly, so maybee not with your F-class .300 win mag, but the hmr sure can! ;)

Any chance of a photo please mate? You could always use a "Wide Angle Lens" if need be!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Any chance of a photo please mate? You could always use a "Wide Angle Lens" if need be!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just let me make sure I've got this right ...................

You want a photo of my bum .................. ???????

My Mum warned me about men like you .................... and he knew what he was talking about :D

Now that made I laugh. :)

Well Browining I think this forum proves its mostly full of experience shooters who have respect for their quarry if only by the way they have treated the subject of shooting live prey at 500yd plus ranges. :lol::lol::good: :o :P

well we can see who the shotgun shooters are over the true rifle men on here :D crocket save your breath, them that truly know about guns or should i say rifles will back you up as they know that a bullet does no hit a wall at 150 yrds and drop out of the air, no it keeps on going, most rifle bullets will go out past 1,000 yrds with ease, yes you may well need to aim 35ft above the target and aim 5ft to the left or right to be on target but once you are on your on ..range finder /wind meter/PDA/ to give you the reading you are looking for ,then just diel in your scope and if your rifle & bullets are on the money the rest is down to the shooter..i see your not saying you hit them every time only a fool would say that ,but you hit them now and then, a miss is a miss it will live for another day ,we all miss some times but as long as you have a safe back stop i see no harm. any rabbit being hit any where by a .223 b,tip bullet is as good as dead as the bullet will still be doing over 2,000fps at 500 yrds alot more speed than any shotgun or rimfire bullet will ever do even if it was at point blank range it would still be going faster. theres plenty of long range shooting on u-tube some guy on there is shooting rabbits at over 600yrds daily in the uk using a standed .223 not a 22-250 like yours which we all know is that little bit better ..this guy is only a man that loves his long range shooting ..nothing more !

Two Rabbit head shots @ 622 yards - MUST SEE SHOOTING VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70a8Bf53xmQ