Whats being piled up inside a field

Dave-G

:stupid:

i have to agree here , i`m fairly sure the beet waste is turned into a product called lime X . it is spread on fields and has a lime like alkline affect on the soil. i have spread tonnes of the stuff , sounds just like it as it has darker , even black bits in it !

if it was human waste you would not be going within about 50ft of the heap as the smell clucking horrific ! and i can put up with some smell **** but this is in another leauge !

The moist soft underneath part did have blacker flecks in a lighter base colour.

Great sense of humour lads but there was no poo smell whatsoever and I have been in contact with cow, pig, horse, chicken and rabbit poo before.

I am with Alex, I used to work in a waste recycling plant when I was a college, there were a few waste products we had to deal with, sweet corn was a big one, and the processed waste was sold on to farmers as a fertiliser, thing is it is so processed by the time it is on a field in a heap it is really just rotten organic matter but I would not want to climb on it,,,

Sorry Dave-G but they are not joking on this one. :blush:

Hi I was walking down the street today and I seen something dumped towards the edge of the kerb.

It was brown in colour and pointed at both ends. Looking closer at it I could see it had three flies on it and was the width of my hand and felt warm to touch with a texture like pate. Smelled really awful almost like Dog poo. What could it be??

Hi I was walking down the street today and I seen something dumped towards the edge of the kerb.

It was brown in colour and pointed at both ends. Looking closer at it I could see it had three flies on it and was the width of my hand and felt warm to touch with a texture like pate. Smelled really awful almost like Dog poo. What could it be??

Dont know mate, take a bite off it and tell us what it tastes like.

They are no longer allowed to spread human sewage waste on the land. Seems silly to me because its perfectly good fertiliser. The reason is not even health and safety. It is ( and you will either believe this or you won't) because it contains seeds from non native species of plants and they don't want them spreading into the countryside and getting established.

They can heat the waste to destroy the germs but some seeds are not destroyed by heating and can withstand forest fires and the like.

And I don't care if nobody believes me

Edited by Vince Green

They are no longer allowed to spread human sewage waste on the land. Seems silly to me because its perfectly good fertiliser. The reason is not even health and safety. It is ( and you will either believe this or you won't) because it contains seeds from non native species of plants and they don't want them spreading into the countryside and getting established.

They can heat the waste to destroy the germs but some seeds are not destroyed by heating and can withstand forest fires and the like.

Hmmm. Its more like the heavy metals and the hormones / drugs etc that prevent it from use on food crops.

There is a Severn Trent sewage farm in the Midlands that has been spreading human slurry on the fields for years. No good for food crops so they plant maize, that grows like mad, and at harvest they silage the lot and feed it into a biodigester to produce methane that powers two massive engines. This generates enough electrictrickery to run the plant with plenty left over to sell back into the grid.

Forget windfarms, solar power and nuclear power. The future is poo!

its human waste from sewerage plants.. cake if you like.. the farms round us use it to put on rape stubble, to put nitrogen back in the soil what the rape takes out of it ,sort of natural fertilizer and the farmers get paid to spread it on the land beleive it or not.

It will be poop. We have varying degrees of it spread over my permission.

The worst was about 3 or 4 years ago - the stuff they spread you could still see the bog paper in it and it stank like nothing else and stuck to your boots. Man oh man, it was rotten.

I understand that some Euro rule has now knocked that type of human poop spreading on the head or such that it has to be ploughed in.

Yeah it's all supposed to be "treated" but if it smells like poop, has bog paper in it and sticks to your boots then I don't care very much for it.

They say that "smell" is the strongest of the senses in relation to memory - yeah they're not wrong there....

Interesting I went for a job last year with Thames water to co ordinate their sludge being applied to farmland. Where exactly do you think it goes now we don't dump it at sea

There are heavy metal issues and its full of nitrogen so is limited where you can apply it but it does very definitely get applied to land. We used to use it on a farm I worked on when they treated it with lime and that improved the smell a lot but sure didn't stop it growing tomato plants :oops:

I have just started reading through this thread while I was eating a few slices of toast. You guys are a mine field of information and seem to be able to word and time your replies so well that I have just lost my appetite!

Thanks guys! :/:lol::lol::/

I believe that human waste can't be used on land used for growing food but ok for non-food crops?

that reminds me of a trip i went on to nepal..high up in the foot hills, the toilets were a hole that just dropped into a very big pile..that was then used on the fields for crops..I think they were growing rice , like the paddy fields.... :yes:

When I moved into our new house (long time ago) I put 3" depth of this 'cake'(treated and dried human waste) down and then overlaid it with turf. Lawn flourished but for a couple of years at least,every time it rained it stank to high heaven.

But got a loveley crop of free tomatoes...

Edited by Good shot?

Civets not Monkeys as i recall....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

On a related note, i see on that listing...

Kopi muncak

Kopi muncak (or kopi muntjak), a different type of coffee produced in a similar process, is made from the dung of barking deer (muntjac) found throughout Southeast Asia. Unlike civet coffee, Kopi muncak is mostly gathered in the wild, chiefly in Indonesian Archipelago.[citation needed]

Where I live is very rural, so we have no main sewage, the cess pit is emptied yearly by a local contractor. He says he injects the waste direct to subsoil with a special plough/injector type thing on the back of the tank, but is not allowed to do this on any land used for growing human food crops - I think he said they could not plant for at least 5 years after the application. He thought this was due to the bacteria/hormones present in human waste that could have detrimental effects to the food chain. As it is, he puts this in local fields that are currently too poor to support decent crops, very sandy soil.

Don't know if this is true, I know I don't mind eating stuff that's had cow muck etc on it, but I would prefer a time gap if it was human waste - having said that, my Gran had an outdoor privy in the garden and her tomatoes etc were very yummy! :lol::good:

Edited by Bloke

Thanks ever so much chaps, it's been very educational for me, and I hope it's made more people more aware of what happens to our poo once we have disposed of it. Seems human WEE gets put to a lot of good use too and is even apparently good for us to drink. :oops:

The other reason for the original question that I didn't want to pad out too much was that rumour has it that a chap who buys up land round here has bought a field somewhere in that area. When I eventually speak to his farming contractor next I can ask if he is now working the field with the heaps of bio-solid in it, and hopefully impress him with my new found knowledge. :yes:

I now feel I should impress others with my new cleverness and get them to Google "bio solid" :D

human faeces or at least sewage sludge is the proper term. Now go and wash your hands :lol:

and if you ever see a pile of it with tomatoes on top I personally would leave them there. Having seen ramblers not knowing what it was and picking them it nearly put me off my lunch that day :lol:

are you there DaveG or still trying to wash your hands :lol:

I only got to the second bit and I was laughing so much I was crying. Had to take a moment to try to put a reply together! :lol::good:

They used it years ago in the early 80s. The called it "Progressive", and spread it in a slurry from big green and yellow tanks at the edge of the fields.

I caught Hepatitis "A" from it...

At least i now know why i have man boobs, it's nothing to do with the fact that i am fat, it's the hormones from the fertilizer.. thank god for that.