Reccomend a nice scotch

alexf

Can anyone recommend a nice smooth scotch for myself as a treat for my birthday, upto about £30 maximum and where to get it from. Had a drop of some over a year ago while in Kelso but can't remember the name of it, quite peaty I recall. Smoother the better :good:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone recommend a nice smooth scotch for myself as a treat for my birthday, upto about £30 maximum and where to get it from. Had a drop of some over a year ago while in Kelso but can't remember the name of it, quite peaty I recall. Smoother the better :good:

my l8 dad use to like that fire water ive never been able to stomach it :sick:

Like you i prefer a smooth whisky ,i found that the Irish whiskies are a little more mellow .Just my own opinion. :good:

i agree i cant stand the smell of scotch after getting WELL AND TRUELY BLADDERED on a bottle of bells when i was about 17yo and being i,ll for 3 days . :sick::sick::sick:

but a while back i was in ireland a place called tuam and had a few well quite a few tots of a one called believe it or not PADDYS found that more than drinkable still cant stand the smell/taste of bells grouse etc

Monkey Shoulder,its a triple malt scotch its this years in drink,I enjoyed it straight and long in a cocktail with apple juice and drambuie and mint leaves called show me the monkey, but it is a serious player in the scotch market ,google it for suppliers, :good:

Tesco value scotch whisky. Had to try it, half the price of a half decent blended. Uncomplicated, unsophisticated, smooth, pleasant after taste. After they've been in a hippy for a few hours they all taste the same. I've decanted it into higher end bottles and passed it round after dinner and I **** myself as everybody waxes lyrical about the attributes of a nice Glenfiddy.

My personal favourite which I will recommend highly is Dalwhinnie, light yet full flavoured.

Talisker is strong, peaty and a real headache in the morning. Just started a bottle of Glayva which is very good.

SAainsbury's or Tesco are the cheapest but pay a bit more and go local - we can all do with a little more on the high street.

Well i realise it's not 'scotch', and trust me i've had a few single malts :blink: , but for the money i don't think you'll do better than Bushmills 10 year if you want a smooth peaty single malt. If you're feeling flush try the 21 year malt, finished in madeira barrels it's superb.

Thanks for the input everyone if only I could buy a selection pack of all your suggestions think I will definitely try berties suggestion of Monkey Shoulder just for the name! Going to look on various websites over the next couple of day and make a purchase will report back after tasting :hmm:

Jura laphroiag etc are very peaty luverly if you are into peaty malts if you just want smooth

for £30 at tesco you can't beat balvenie double wood

KW

another vote for double wood here, not as 'peaty' as some already mentioned but very smooth and easy to drink - its a favourite in my house :good: