"Stealth" net lining.

Cranfield

I hate the "Stealth" camo net's black mesh lining.

If you use the net as a four sided hide, there you are sitting in front of a black mesh.

It looks so bad that I have a small MoD net I drape over it to cover the black up.

That way, with my camo clothing on I at least blend in with the background.

Today I was speaking to a chap who reckons he has seen a "Stealth" type net with a green mesh lining.

Unfortunately, he can't remember where. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know whether these type of nets are available with a green mesh lining ?

Or is this chap colour blind ? :)

If you use the net as a four sided hide, there you are sitting in front of a black mesh.

It looks so bad that I have a small MoD net I drape over it to cover the black up.

Today I was speaking to a chap who reckons he has seen a "Stealth" type net with a green mesh lining.

Does anyone know whether these type of nets are available with a green mesh lining ?

Hi Cranfield. What is the the problem with having a black background?

The black mesh is extremely similar to a product I am used to working with (on stage sets etc.), called sharkstooth scrim or gauze. You can paint/dye it, so why not take a few cans of spray paint and do a bit of a DPM pattern on the section that bothers you?

As for you Billy, you wouldn't like to chew the stuff that I am required to buy for work, as it has been heavily treated with fire retardants!

Edited by john_r

Hi Cranfield. What is the the problem with having a black background?

Get a friend to sit in the hide against the black background , but with no front, or a low front.

Walk back 100 yards and look at the hide.

Your friend will stick out like a sore thumb (unless he is wearing all black), as does the hide against the background.

This virtually eliminates the camo effect of the exterior.

The only way to lose this effect is to have all sides of the hide at the same height.

Due to a lack of natural cover in my area, I mostly shoot sitting down, with a higher back to the hide than the front.

I think It can also be very much a comfort and confidence thing with any hide setup,I prefer inside my hide to be dark.

I recently perchased a stealth net after years of useing a double net on my hides , thought I would try to save pack weight and bulk, just couldnt get used to the stealth on its own, couldnt realy fault it I just didnt feel comfortable, so it was back to a double net with the top foot of the hide just stealth as the look through.

The black mesh is extremely similar to a product I am used to working with (on stage sets etc.), called sharkstooth scrim or gauze.

Send some to Billy and me and we can make Crayfish nets for the PW Crayfish community :lol::lol:

Sorry cranfield, I do not wish to divert your thread.

I drop the front of my hide just a little (I also use Stealth netting) and place Jack Pyke realtree netting along the top edge,this is just like the netting you have at the window albeit camo, in hindsight dyed window netting is probably a lot cheaper :hmm: this still gives me the cover and seclusion I require but also a easy veiwing slot, I hope this helps

I personally don't find it a problem, I do though use it in conjunction with a clearview net to give me a 10" window at the top of the hide which I find easier to look through.

Just an idea if it bothers you that much Cranfield, what about hanging the net up and dusting the black mesh randomly with a can of brown/green spray? If you do it sparingly the spray won't go through to the leaf cut in front but will break down that hard black......just a thought

I have thought about spraying it, but am annoyed that I should have to.

How hard can it be for the Suppliers to ask the Far East manufacturers to use a green/brown blended mesh ?

I am sure it wouldn't cost any more.

When I do use it I also drape an MoD net over it as the outer lining and leave the top 10 inches as a viewing strip.

Back to the original question.

It seems nobody has heard about this net with the different coloured mesh.

I have a stealth net and must admit I am not that impressed they are far from being see out but not see in as described ,I also think the black stands out.

I have a couple of realtree ones which are a much better net they have a brown,beige type scrim net at as the base with a 3D leaf cut pattern on the outer, must have had them 12 years or so and they were £75 for a 12ft then but they are starting to see better days now would like a new one but not sure if you can still get them.

If anyone has seen the red letter days dvd thats the same type Jim Albone was using.

I have a stealth net and must admit I am not that impressed they are far from being see out but not see in as described ,I also think the black stands out.

I have a couple of realtree ones which are a much better net they have a brown,beige type scrim net at as the base with a 3D leaf cut pattern on the outer, must have had them 12 years or so and they were £75 for a 12ft then but they are starting to see better days now would like a new one but not sure if you can still get them.

If anyone has seen the red letter days dvd thats the same type Jim Albone was using.

There are a couple of places that i know of that sell them. The closest is the shop at Warboys. They are expensive in there, though - £18 per 1 x 1.5 metre!

I sold my stealth net because it was totaly see through,i know have jack pyke and combined with jack pike camo jacket and gloves etc,it is impossible to be seen.

I did use some 'green' netting that was thrown out by my local garden centre to cover the glass in green houses :good:

green house netting.......on e-bay :yes:

Edited by vampire

If it just the back of the hide you don't like black cranners do what i do if i have to put a back into my hide, I hook it onto one hide pole and take it round the other one then back to the first to make it double thickness no black nets then..Works for me OK.. :good: :good:

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had a "stealth" net delivered from uk shootwarehouse and it has a green backing net, i dont think its the original stealth but the back is definatly green!

I find it strange that theve used a black backing net :o cannot think of anything black in nature :hmm: brown or green would have been a more sensible option :yes:

I know you shoudnt have to,but why not remove the black net and replace with a clearview camo net :yes: i think the main purpose of the black net is to prevent barrel snag :good: BB

I find it strange that theve used a black backing net :o cannot think of anything black in nature :hmm: brown or green would have been a more sensible option :yes:

I know you shoudnt have to,but why not remove the black net and replace with a clearview camo net :yes: i think the main purpose of the black net is to prevent barrel snag :good: BB

I have never seen pigeons fly in circles all day long, either. Whether something is natural or not doesn't mean it won't work.

I've set up with completely the 'wrong' coloured hide and shot pigeons.

I bet if i set up with a totally black net the pigeons would not take any notice.

Edited by motty

I have never seen pigeons fly in circles all day long, either. Whether something is natural or not doesn't mean it won't work.

I've set up with completely the 'wrong' coloured hide and shot pigeons.

I bet if i set up with a totally black net the pigeons would not take any notice.

Thats correct however i didnt say "it woudnt work" if people are paying good money for a net a more suitable colour as in green or brown would be more suitable in 99% of situations :yes:

ive not seen any black pattern cam clothing knocking about :yes: unless your in 22 and using a HK :good: BB