Red Arrows

ziplex

The Red Arrows were over our way the weekend (Balloon Fiesta), I stayed at home watching them skim over the roof tops :yes: , the mrs and daughter walked around to the A38 green for a better view and she took this.....loads of others but I thought it was great :good:

post-3597-0-36496100-1313523576.jpg

I took a few, this was one of the better ones.......shame the file size has to be so small,

post-3597-0-77396700-1313523829.jpg

They really do come low during the display, even the spaniel ducked on a few occasions, not sure why it looks like they're under water? :lol:

Seen them buzzing over Portsmouth dock yard a few years ago :good:

I believe one of the pilots is a lumpy jumper :hmm:

While working near the riat this year one of the real nerdy sorts started telling me how red 4 was a woman pilot and how she is so much better than some of the male pilots. She never makes a mistake so i piped up with yeah she's amazing in the air but she can't park the thing. I got a decent chuckle from some of the crowd that had been having to listen to this guys commentary (twaddle) for hours.

While working near the riat this year one of the real nerdy sorts started telling me how red 4 was a woman pilot and how she is so much better than some of the male pilots. She never makes a mistake so i piped up with yeah she's amazing in the air but she can't park the thing. I got a decent chuckle from some of the crowd that had been having to listen to this guys commentary (twaddle) for hours.

Like it. :lol:

:lol:

These are really great photos - I remember them flying out of RAF Kemble in the late 1960s - I was beating on the Bathurst Estate whilst a student at RAC Cirencester - at about 11.30 on - I think - a January morning, we heard an almighty crash in the distance and then saw smoke on the horizon - we later learned that two Hawk jets had crashed - RIP

Subsequently, I next saw the Red Arrows doing a display over Bangor Bay in Northern Ireland in I think around 1996 - Me & the children were very lucky to have been invited up Helens Tower on a nearby Estate [it has been replicated on the Somme in France as a memorial to the 36 Ulster Divsion in World War 1] and we truly had a cockpit's eye view of the Red Arrows - after the display - our day was truly made when one of the Hawks peeled off and "beat up" Helens Tower where we standing - it skimmed the tower literally feet away - and we were just so thankful that such skilled pilots are on our side.

Wow wow wow

Am I the only one who thinks that they are a waste of money? What purpose do they serve?If its an aid to recruitment then what a sham-we have a tiny Airforce with out-dated a/c and with stations being closed daily and pilots being laid off.At least the American display teams are combat trained and can be converted back to fighting status in a matter of days-the only use for the arrows in combat would be to block roads and cause a tailback.Its time we woke up to the fact that if most European countries wanted to invade us we could do little but bend over and take it.Decades of politics have raped the RAF of its ability to defend our shores-when will the general public realise that we need to dramatically increase spending on protecting our backsides and not on painting the sky pretty colours in obsolete aircraft. :angry:

What rubbish.

Edited to be less provocative as there's no need to insult each other.

Dear Sir,

I disagree with your assessment of the Red Arrows but I respect your right to make such comments.

Regards

Edited by Dr W

I have seen them a few times over the years, so went didn't get that excited about them being at RIAT as there were loads of other teams from all over the world. Well, it is fairly obvious why they put there display on last, even after all these years they are head and shoulders above any of the other display teams, absolute precision :thumbs:

Have a look at these pictures if you want to see it for yourself (not mine I hasten to add)

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=RIAT+2011&s=int

Am I the only one who thinks that they are a waste of money?

Yes.

My comments were aimed mainly at

1. the fact that the pilots are combat trained and have to have served on the front line before a 3 year tour with Red Arrows.

2. what european country is likely to attack us?

3. An airforce the size of what it was is not needed in modern times

4. They are not a waste of money and a great spectacle to watch at UK events, an ambassador of the RAF but not necessarily a recruitment tool, I like to watch them doesn't make me want to sign up.

Seen them buzzing over Portsmouth dock yard a few years ago :good:

I believe one of the pilots is a lumpy jumper :hmm:

SHE IS Kirsty and is red 5 :good:

Kirsty flew the Tornado GR4 before joining the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team.

Age – 33

Education - Kirsty attended Stamford High School in Lincolnshire, before studying for her Masters degree in Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial College, London. She joined the London University Air Squadron and was awarded a final year cadetship from the Royal Air Force.

Career - Joined the Royal Air Force in 1998. Following flying training Kirsty became a Qualified Flying Instructor (QFI) for three years on the HawkT1 at Royal Air Force Valley. She then completed weapons training on 19 (F) Squadron and was posted to the Tornado GR4. On completion of the Operational Conversion Unit at Royal Air Force Lossiemouth, she was posted to XIII Squadron at Royal Air Force Marham. During her three years on this Squadron, Kirsty completed two operational tours in Iraq as part of Operation TELIC – flying up to eight hour missions in support of the British, American and Iraqi ground forces. She also took part in exercises in America, Canada and Germany as well as continuing her role as a front line QFI. This is her second year with the Red Arrows.

Background - Kirsty was born at Royal Air Force Nocton Hall, Lincolnshire, and grew up in nearby Coleby. Kirsty’s desire to join the Royal Air Force grew from spending some of her school holidays with her father on 27 Squadron at Royal Air Force Marham, where she enjoyed the experience of watching the aircrew planning and flying their sorties and the camaraderie on the Squadron.

Edited by markws80

G

SHE IS Kirsty and is red 5 :good:

Kirsty flew the Tornado GR4 before joining the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team.

Age – 33

Education - Kirsty attended Stamford High School in Lincolnshire, before studying for her Masters degree in Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial College, London. She joined the London University Air Squadron and was awarded a final year cadetship from the Royal Air Force.

Career - Joined the Royal Air Force in 1998. Following flying training Kirsty became a Qualified Flying Instructor (QFI) for three years on the HawkT1 at Royal Air Force Valley. She then completed weapons training on 19 (F) Squadron and was posted to the Tornado GR4. On completion of the Operational Conversion Unit at Royal Air Force Lossiemouth, she was posted to XIII Squadron at Royal Air Force Marham. During her three years on this Squadron, Kirsty completed two operational tours in Iraq as part of Operation TELIC – flying up to eight hour missions in support of the British, American and Iraqi ground forces. She also took part in exercises in America, Canada and Germany as well as continuing her role as a front line QFI. This is her second year with the Red Arrows.

Background - Kirsty was born at Royal Air Force Nocton Hall, Lincolnshire, and grew up in nearby Coleby. Kirsty’s desire to join the Royal Air Force grew from spending some of her school holidays with her father on 27 Squadron at Royal Air Force Marham, where she enjoyed the experience of watching the aircrew planning and flying their sorties and the camaraderie on the Squadron.

Very impressive :yes::good:

I've seen loads of display teams and the Red Arrows are the best in the world in my opinion. They must make money being hired out all over the world where they display, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit like the royal family - like them or not it seems they're profitable.

They do create a net profit but not to the RAF always, more through promoting and selling british engineering etc, thats the main point of their overseas tours. The Gulf states tours do create an income for the RAF as they sell the skills of the RAF and Saudi etc send a lot their pilots through RAF training which they pay for directly.

If you want them to do something for you, they will always try to oblige and usually for a donation to the RAF Benevolent Fund. They will often do flybys etc on their way to or from other displays if timings and routes allow for it.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/

AB