20 bore

I used a 20 bore today for the first time, a sweet looking little thing with 26" barrels that was bought for a child to use,it had more kick than my 12g :o ,no wonder so many kids/women get put off,i always had beleived that a 20 bore has less kick and was ideal for the fairer sex :no: ,i would say get em a semi auto,or just use 21gm in a 12 bore if clay shooting,unless you actually want to put em off shooting :sly::lol:

I used a 20 bore today for the first time, a sweet looking little thing with 26" barrels that was bought for a child to use,it had more kick than my 12g :o ,no wonder so many kids/women get put off,i always had beleived that a 20 bore has less kick and was ideal for the fairer sex :no: ,i would say get em a semi auto,or just use 21gm in a 12 bore if clay shooting,unless you actually want to put em off shooting :sly::lol:

I know, I use a 20b, it really ****** me off with adverts like 'will suit youngster/lady/gay' and thats from gun dealers, I love mine.

And of course it'll boot more you doof :lol: unless you use 21g

Standard load for a 20g is 24-26g if you start stuffing 30-32g through it you will get a serious smack across the chops. Having said that i sometimes shoot heavey loads and it can be a real killer if you point it in the right place, you just dont want to shoot too many of them :blink: . Remember that a traditional 12g load for a sxs is/was 28 grams of 6s :good:

Thanks for the day out today Karl, cracking day out in great company, lovely bit of permission there too.

I thought you liked my little Rizzini :no: lol

It was bought partly as a lighter option for me to carry,

but also as It was suggested as possibly easier for my 10yr old son or wife to use, and when he's fired it, it's been with 21gram carts.

Once again, THANK YOU for the day out today, really appreciated the chance to get out,

AND I learnt at least one valuable lesson today ;)

I've used a few twenty bore's that were very light ( between 5lb to 5lb 10oz) short in the barrel (26ins and under), open choked and short in the stock (under 13ins in some instances). They were all pretty but useless in the hands of a 6ft 2in ape like me. I now shoot a 20 bore for game /pigeon that weighs 6lb 10oz, has 30 inch barrels and fits perfectly. I use 28g carts and it shoots sweet as a nut with no recoil that I notice.I wish i'd found one like this years ago.

If the gun fits the felt recoil will not be bad a short gun high or low in the stock will kick the **** out of you even with light loads but if it fits the felt recoil will be easy to handle.

A well fitting 20 will be better normally for a youngest or lady than a heavy 12 as the physically weaker person will suffer less with muscle fatigue

Yep that really ****** me off too "20g is a womans/kids gun" what a load of carp :yes: if it fits well and you use the correct cart,its just as effective as a 12g :yes: BB

BB I'd disagree with this a correctly fitting 20 with the right cartridge will handle fast and therefore be better and more effective than a sluggish 12.

Thanks for the day out today Karl, cracking day out in great company, lovely bit of permission there too.

I thought you liked my little Rizzini :no: lol

It was bought partly as a lighter option for me to carry,

but also as It was suggested as possibly easier for my 10yr old son or wife to use, and when he's fired it, it's been with 21gram carts.

Once again, THANK YOU for the day out today, really appreciated the chance to get out,

AND I learnt at least one valuable lesson today ;)

Neil,thanks mate

Glad you enjoyed the day,just a shame they werent flying better,another time maybe :sly:

Ok,the lesson learnt today was............dont forget the hide poles :blush:

:yes: I stated "just as effective" you stated "more effective" if were being picky :yes::lol: :lol:

I guess it all comes down to the person pulling the trigger,cart/ gun combo is important :yes: but the key ingredient is the skill of the trigger puller at the end of the day ,otherwise i would argue the gun/cart combo are irrelevant :yes: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

I started shooting properly with a 20 bore Silver Pigeon 28inch barrel when I was 14. Arguably the best mass produced 20 bore on the market with regards to balance and scaling.

I still shoot it out of choice 95% of the time now that I'm 19 and although it has got slightly small (I have to grip the end of the fore end) I still outshoot most people with it. I would go as far as saying it's an advantage on fast close clays especially simo. pairs.

With regards to cartridges the gunshop gave me 28g loads for clays. I handled them fine even though there was absolutely nothing to me at that age, as many members of this forum who saw me at Bisley can confirm. After shooting a few thousand of these over the next 3 years along with some punchy 26g homeloads, I dropped down to 24g for clays and I think it's fair to say my scores have improved over all.

I tend to use 28g of 6's for quarry although have some heavier cartridges for when the need arises along with some lighter loads for shooting ferreted rabbits on the odd occasion that I take a gun.

FM :)

I would suggest (like others have) that the problem with recoil was due to a very poor fitting gun.

I put 1000's of 28gm No6's through a 20 bore in a year and have never had any problem with recoil.

The gun weights 6lb - 1oz and is a pleasure to use.

I would suggest (like others have) that the problem with recoil was due to a very poor fitting gun.

I put 1000's of 28gm No6's through a 20 bore in a year and have never had any problem with recoil.

The gun weights 6lb - 1oz and is a pleasure to use.

Others :hmm: only one suggested gun fit (welshwarrior),most agree that a light gun kicks more than a heavier 12g using same grm cartridge.

Others :hmm: only one suggested gun fit (welshwarrior),most agree that a light gun kicks more than a heavier 12g using same grm cartridge.

They do recoil more, but a well fitted gun won't impact on the shooting, other than the extra legs a 20b has :oops:

I find I drop far, far more birds dead in flight with a 20, but thats the recompense we have, but I agree mate, they do recoil more, no matter what, unless you have a very light 12b.