Recommend some kitchen knifed for around £70

mpk

I've had a Sabatier cooks knife for years and it's been great (not sure which one), easy to sharpen and holds an edge well. I did treat myself to a Global veg' knife years ago which was brilliant until I dropped it and it snapped at the handle, I tried to e mail Global but got zero response.

Looking on Amazon i'd say mine is possibly the 'V' range? cheap and good value :good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002MXEFMW/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Edited by ziplex

Sabatier for me too, top quality knife and they come in every configuration for every job, more or less.

From Wikipedia: Sabatier is the makers mark used by several kitchen knife manufacturers—by itself it is not a registered brand name. The name Sabatier is considered to imply a high-quality knife produced by one of a number of manufacturers in the Thiers region of France using a fully forged process; the knives of some of these manufacturers are highly regarded. However, the name "Sabatier" came into use before intellectual property laws and is not protected; knives legally bearing the name range from high-quality knives made in France to cheap mass-produced products of poor quality from France and other countries; a registered logo or full name, or both, such as "65 Sabatier Perrier", is necessary to establish origin and quality.

Whatever you do avoid Pro Cook. I got some as a very kind gesture for christmas one year and I wish I'd kept the reciept. The blades wouldn't take a decent edge, then they started chipping on the edge!!! Biggest pile of **** I've ever owned - they cost over £100 for the set and to be honest £20 would have been a rip off!

Bought 2 in a sale in the summer. The Japanese style cook's knife is ok, but the filleting knife i bought snapped in my hand on the 3rd use!!!! Waiting for my next trip to Ashford outlets to take it back.

Well I didn't realise that buying a Sabatier knife was so complicated. I've just been to check what ours are and they're the Sabatier Lion, nice to know we've got 'proper' ones. Looked on the web and see the cost of replacement ones would be pretty damn expensive today.

Okay after reading you don't necessarily need a full set, I'm very tempted!!!

http://www.theknifeshop.co.uk/product/657/fk2pcwh3/kyocera-black-handled-ceramic-santoku--paring-knife-set.html

Very nice!as I said earlier in the thread a Santoku knife is very useful for the cooking enthusiast,also have never seen this web site before the business is based less than ten miles from me,I have never seen a ceramic knife break only a ceramic global steel :good:

Very nice!as I said earlier in the thread a Santoku knife is very useful for the cooking enthusiast,also have never seen this web site before the business is based less than ten miles from me,I have never seen a ceramic knife break only a ceramic global steel :good:

As a chef would you say that's a pretty good deal? The two knives plus chopping board for £70

Looking on youtube these look frighteningly sharp!

Thanks.

As a chef would you say that's a pretty good deal? The two knives plus chopping board for £70

Looking on youtube these look frighteningly sharp!

Thanks.

Its a nice set up,its a style of Knife I would recommend,its not a cheap knife set but a good knife,its a style of knife I like to use its easy to use and very practical,as with all knives avoid the dishwasher and don't let any one abuse it ,

Having used knives to earn a living for 8 or 9 years when I was younger there was no better than those made by **** but doubt they would fall into your price range as already mentioned victorinox are also a decent knife at a more realistic price another good one was dexter russel they are reasonble in price but difficult to get hold of in the uk now I believe.

Having used knives to earn a living for 8 or 9 years when I was younger there was no better than those made by **** but doubt they would fall into your price range as already mentioned victorinox are also a decent knife at a more realistic price another good one was dexter russel they are reasonble in price but difficult to get hold of in the uk now I believe.

It auto censored D I C K :lol:

Its a nice set up,its a style of Knife I would recommend,its not a cheap knife set but a good knife,its a style of knife I like to use its easy to use and very practical,as with all knives avoid the dishwasher and don't let any one abuse it ,

Thanks for the reply, I think come pay day I shall be treating myself to this set :good:

for £70 you should be able to buy 7" boner

:hmm:

yes nice one :lol: tell you what chard, for you mate special offer you can have mine for 1/2 price :lol:

If you need a recomendation or an honest review of what knives to buy i'll put money on you going in to any butchers shops,slaughter houses and asking what they use and i can bet you the answer will 90% of the time be the same;-

VITRINOX, you dont see them advertised at silly food shows or on adverts on Utube or the like saying they cut through cucumbers like butter or slicing through tomato like cutting water or whatever, they are used by people who need reliability and working tools not something nice to look at with a fancy lable.

Edited by Dougy

Global, had mine for about 10 years hardly ever need sharpening, brilliant knives but not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

J@mes, I would suggest if your neighbours knives started to rust then they were fakes.

They were replaced under warranty.