Last time off sick ?

onefulham

Couple of weeks ago I had some time off sick, first time in 7 years, loads of people commented as they could not remember me ever going sick. The thing is we seem to have a sick culture at work, where people at my place see sick days as extra holiday, I am talking mostly the younger ones, but some of the oldies as well.

I was brought up , as I have my family, to go into work/ school if you can but not if your gonna pass bugs around.

My question is, what is the longest someone has continually made it to work without going sick ?

I reckon my 7 years will be puny !

I know what you mean with the sick thing. I always go ion if I have a cold, unless it is really bad. I work with different people everyday though so sometimes its not good. The last sick day (week) I had was about 3 months ago, when I had an acid stomach. very painful, and had about 20 seconds max to get to the toilet before needing to change :lol:

That's the thing, I knew a guy who claimed he went to the Dr who asked who he was as he had never seen him, then it was pointed out to the guy he had been sick the year before !

I am not trying to make out I am some sort of healthy superman, so far from it !

I have had bugs, been ill but I have been lucky or more likely unlucky enough, for it to have been at weekends and once on holiday, just not have time off work for it.

I can't be off sick properly because I work for myself but I sometimes with I could be. Got the most stinking, achy, sore tonsil, crappy virus at the moment and it's doing my head in. I've had it for about three weeks and it's come to a head this weekend. Grrrrr.

Still, am missing a trip to the inlaws today, so every cloud ;)

Been a couple of years since I last had a day off sick but it helps doing a 4 on 4 off pattern ,one chap at work has had 1 day in 20 years , I know most times if someone is not at work they are genuine but there are also those that take the P and have no thoughts for the ones they are leaving to cover their job ,is it me or are men not men anymore ,I get them phone in sick for things like headaches ,I just think they should man up a bit the strange thing is you get full sick pay at my place after you have been there a year and nothing but ssp until then almost without exception they all go through that first year with no time off ,but once they are entitled to sick pay their health all of a sudden goes down hill :hmm:

Edited by fenboy

Nothing clever or manly about going into work when you've got a contagious illness, you're just spreading it round and making others ill who will then take more days off. If you're sneezing and working with other people do every one a favour and stay at home.

I did 17 years before back gave out in 2007, ive always felt guilty about taking time off as if i didnt go in, someone on a day off would have to, not everyone did.

we had one guy that would often take sundays off, (played footy for a local team)

2 ops later plus arm complications ive not worked since

Saw on the news this morning that they are bringing in a 4 week maximum that the doc can sign you off, then you have to go in front of a panel of "experts"

they say it will save money as more people will go back to work.

Errrm to what jobs?, expect the jobless figures to rise,

yes i know some people are swinging the lead but not everyone on the sick is

:shaun:

Nothing clever or manly about going into work when you've got a contagious illness, you're just spreading it round and making others ill who will then take more days off. If you're sneezing and working with other people do every one a favour and stay at home.

but what about the fact some dont get paid????:hmm:

I had to have 5 weeks off back in June/July due to my eye and was meant to have 2 months off but when SSP dont even come the mortgage and I dont get sick pay then sometimes you dont have much choice. :oops:

Some people will come in however they are feeling, some will take a day off at the slightest opportunity and others will extend a sick day into as much as they can get away with ie as long as a self cert allows and if they can swing a doctors note even longer. The annoying part is that these people seem to have no concern for the additional pressure they put onto their work colleagues. The problem is that this tends to colours your perceptions when someone is "properly" sick!

It's pepole that go long term sick with stress Ha its a joke i have a permenant disability still work and after all the spinal op's ect still work and never suffered from "long term stress" a friend of mines just done it as she was caught having an affair.

I have told her what i think and we are not friends any more :yes:

Since i went self emloyed no time off in 8 years to date. Previusly in employment probably around eight to ten days each year, day spread over the year.

When takeing a day off efectivly equates to a day not earing the atraction soon diminishes!! In truth although ocasionally i really dont feel like working generally at the end of the day having strugled through i feel better than if I had been sat at home.

Edited by paulf

There is more balls talked about sickness than most other things. I agree with Dr W it's pathetic to see people trying to prove a point nobody asked them to by infecting everyone else at work.

I cringe when I hear managers and directors banging on about 'not doing sickness' - they are always - and I mean always - the ones who moan the most when they do actually get ill.

Mind you what I hate more is people on long term sick or DLA (a la Jim Royle) who are in fact perfectly able bodied (and minded). I find it offensive and unmanly.

I am currently off sick with a chest infection (which is bad news for an asthmatic).

Thats always my downfall as well, get any type of cold virus and you can more or less guarantee that within a week I'll have a full blown chest infection and be rattling with the amount of pills the Dr's stick me on. Despite having asthma and another underlying lung condition its unusual fo me to have more than 2 or 3 weeks off a year due to illness, the last time being during October when I should have been operating a potato harvester, the Dr threatened me with hospital if I didn't stay at home and rest as I'd have only got worse otherwise. The previous time was Contagious Conjunctivitis, I had to stay at home and everyone at work told me too understandably. I hate being at home ill but its better than staying at work sharing the germs or making the illness worse.

My late Father at 52 years old had one sheet of paper in his medical files when he was diagnosed with cancer, the Dr asked him what he was allergic to and his reply was "you *******!" :lol: Upto that point it was very rare he took a day off due to illness

Last time i had time off sick was about 3 years ago when i threw a ball for my dog and blood vessels in my arm burst-making my entire arm look like a slab of corned beef and hurt like hell.Doctor advised taking a week off work after my Superman styled throw. :lol:

Most time i've had off sick was about 4 months when i had testicular cancer 9 years ago and was boring as hell.

We have a guy at work whose missus works at a school - she always has a cough/cold, so he always has a cough/cold. He makes a big point of coming in when he's ill, making out like he's some kind of hero because of it. Everyone tells him he's giving it to the rest of us (including 3 of us who have asthma) but he's not bothered. Our manager doesn't care if you are off sick or not as long as it's genuine, and none of us take this **** (which we don't)

:rolleyes:

Edited by J@mes