Neutrino experiment repeated - light speed broken again

Catweazle

The bods at CERN have repeated their experiment with some different parameters designed to reduce errors, and have again measured Neutrinos travelling through 450 miles of rock at faster than light speed.

Big news. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236

I might be wrong, but if speed of light and time are fixed together, and Neutrinos are faster than light, does that mean that the Neutrinos are arriving in Italy before they are leaving CERN ? Obviously impossible.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be wrong, but if speed of light and time are fixed together, and Neutrinos are faster than light, does that mean that the Neutrinos are arriving in Italy before they are leaving CERN ? Obviously impossible.

Time does funny things at those sort of speeds. They are only arriving before they leave relative to their own position. To us they still appear to arrive after they have left, just an exceptionally short time after they have left. IIRC.

If they do the experiment in the dark does that mean time stands still.....goes backward ;)

E=MC2 +(a bit)

Whilst in pure theoretical terms the speed of light at 186,246 MPH (or there abouts), cannot be exceeded, as I understand it,for the theory to be valid, this latest speed recording was on a smaller neutrino 'burst' which was the criticism of the last test - i.e too many neutrinos to firmly establish it was the same one timed over the 450 mile circuit.

Since the speed recorded for the smaller neutrino burst was apparently about 6 MPH faster than the speed of light and there is still some (albeit smaller doubt) about it being the same neutino measured in and out of the speed trap, I'm going with Einstein and an equation of e=Amc*c. A is the universal contstant referred to by Spock in the Star Trek series. The constant A is a variable and has a value of 1.00000017. So at 5/6 MPH over light speed, the theory of relativity still holds.

I have no cyclotron to test my theory sadly but hey, it fits the facts as we now know them !!!

Rock on Tommy

Whilst in pure theoretical terms the speed of light at 186,246 MPH (or there abouts), cannot be exceeded, as I understand it,for the theory to be valid, this latest speed recording was on a smaller neutrino 'burst' which was the criticism of the last test - i.e too many neutrinos to firmly establish it was the same one timed over the 450 mile circuit.

Since the speed recorded for the smaller neutrino burst was apparently about 6 MPH faster than the speed of light and there is still some (albeit smaller doubt) about it being the same neutino measured in and out of the speed trap, I'm going with Einstein and an equation of e=Amc*c. A is the universal contstant referred to by Spock in the Star Trek series. The constant A is a variable and has a value of 1.00000017. So at 5/6 MPH over light speed, the theory of relativity still holds.

I have no cyclotron to test my theory sadly but hey, it fits the facts as we now know them !!!

Rock on Tommy

Are you Jim al-Khalili, by any chance?

Dont pay to much attention to scientific theorys einstien and the like . They said the rings of saturn were made from cream cheese untill they sent a telescope there and found them to made from special fried rice and had to re-write all the text books .

Harnser .

Quite, and most of them dont swing the gun....... :lol:

TEH

The bods at CERN have repeated their experiment with some different parameters designed to reduce errors, and have again measured Neutrinos travelling through 450 miles of rock at faster than light speed.

Big news. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236

I like pies :good:

:shaun:

If you turn your headlights on then do 60mph the light must be traveling 60mph faster than light :hmm:

Nope, because the speed is relative to the observer. If you are in a car doing 60 or 6000 or 6 million mph, the light is still moving away from you at the speed of light. If you are outside the car watching it drive along, the light from the headlights is still moving - relative to you - at the speed of light, no matter what the speed of the source. "c" is an unchanging constant, I will put money on the fact that they will eventually find the cockup that has caused the unexpected results from the neutrino experiment.