Bipod or shooting sticks??

ben0850

Evening All.

I'm hoping you can furnish me with some of your usual PW advice (plus the usual mickey taking lol).

I have shot my rifle for quite some time both on foot, quad bike and pick up. Until recently I did most shooting from a vehicle but over the last few months I have been shooting mostly on foot due to drilled crop fields etc.

Now....I fitted a bipod a while ago to improve my shooting and it's been successful however I find often due to the lie of the land a "prone" shot is not an option so i end up needing to either stalk closer or shoot from a knelt position.

Can any of you guys recommend or give me your opinion on shooting sticks and their kind?? There are a few types in the recent bush wear catalogue that look quite nifty!

hi,

sticks are definately usefull if i'm going to zero or getting layed up in one spot i'll stick the bi-pod on but if i'm just off for a walk round or off lamping i take the sticks. there nice and light and do the job.

both are usefull in there own right so i'd definately get a set of sticks :good:

atb gary

I gave up on a bipod for the same reasons.

Now I either shoot freehand or I take a Bog-pod tripod if I'm lying up and waiting or a pair of hazel sticks if I'm having a general walk round or lamping because they're quicker to deploy than the tripod and you can use them in all sorts of ways.

The Bog-pod is fantastic but expensive - £125. They go from 26" for seated shots to 6' for standing, and they're very well made and they last. They also make a half sized one that can be used from prone to seated shots. I got mine from WWW.midwayuk.com

Beware cheap sticks especially the twist-lock telescopic leg type. The leg locks fail and they generally fall apart. Bushwear are quite expensive too. Most of their stuff is available cheaper with Uttings.

hi,

sticks are definately usefull if i'm going to zero or getting layed up in one spot i'll stick the bi-pod on but if i'm just off for a walk round or off lamping i take the sticks. there nice and light and do the job.

both are usefull in there own right so i'd definately get a set of sticks :good:

atb gary

I couldn't agree more with this. I do the same myself.

I never leave home without sticks..i have a few various sets of stoneypoint polecat sticks left in the boot of my 4x4..monopod ie one pole, 3 legged tripod sticks..and the ones i use most the time the standard bipod set..also have the a set of steady sticks but these are just for sitting..id say 65% of the foxes i shoot are from bipod sticks standing.

Mick

Sticks every time.

They're useful for balance crossing ditches, getting up banks, etc.

(For me, anyway, arthritis and duff leg :) )

Same here! Couldn't get up and down to use a bi-pod so it's sticks for me!

My mate uses a modified camera tripod which works very well. I always use that if we're out together. It was fairly inexpensive too.

GH

Personally i only use a bipod for zeroing as so offen you get down on a bipod and theres grass or stubble in the way as your so low down, then you get cold muddy and wet. So most of my shots are taken from the passenger seat of a freelander or jimny off the wing mirror or off my home made shooting sticks from the green garden canes.

Although last night i was asked if i could go down to a small hollding and shoot a fox thats been taking chickens from a pen 50-60 yards from the house so i plan to take that from an upstairs window with the rifle on my bipod on the window cil !

I use sticks more often than the bipod when I'm out as my ground has loads of wee heights and hollows,and most of the time when you get down for a shot off the bipod your target is out of view. I made a set of waist high sticks from a couple of lightweight brush shafts(I know what your thinking,TIGHT WAD. :yes::lol: ),and these let me take kneeling or sitting shots shots comfortably. :good:

Evening All.

I'm hoping you can furnish me with some of your usual PW advice (plus the usual mickey taking lol).

I have shot my rifle for quite some time both on foot, quad bike and pick up. Until recently I did most shooting from a vehicle but over the last few months I have been shooting mostly on foot due to drilled crop fields etc.

Now....I fitted a bipod a while ago to improve my shooting and it's been successful however I find often due to the lie of the land a "prone" shot is not an option so i end up needing to either stalk closer or shoot from a knelt position.

Can any of you guys recommend or give me your opinion on shooting sticks and their kind?? There are a few types in the recent bush wear catalogue that look quite nifty!

You can get longer bipods that are meant for sitting shots (good for waiting) they can also be more use than the std height prone and bench models shot from prone telescoped down to thier shorter length when grass or heather etc is taller. Sticks are good but remember to put the practice in and experiment with hold

I like the accuracy I can get off my Harris 9-13", but often feel that my home-made sticks have the advantage (higher than the grass). However< i have a nightmare of a time carrying them.

How do you stick carriers carry them and your rifle (without letting them clatter together)?

Hi, my rifle on a sling over my right shoulder (i'm left handed) and my two sets of sticks in my left hand. One set under the forend and one under the butt of the rifle.

atvb Paul.

I like the accuracy I can get off my Harris 9-13", but often feel that my home-made sticks have the advantage (higher than the grass). However< i have a nightmare of a time carrying them.

How do you stick carriers carry them and your rifle (without letting them clatter together)?

The top 8" of my hazel sticks, including the pivot point, are lagged with pipe insulation held in place with cable ties. As well as providing a protective non-creaking support for the rifle it keeps the sticks slightly apart. They never clack unless dropped. The Bog-pod has a section of neoprene foam on each leg that does the same job.

Rifle slung on right shoulder sticks carried flat in left hand. In any case you should avoid waving them about, the movement is very obvious to quarry.

Edited by Gimlet

Anyone interested in making their own shooting sticks, go to Varmint Als web page and scroll down index on left of page to Bi Fur Pods. I have made 3 or 4 pair and between the sticks and a shooting pillow (made from sandbag material and goose down) I leave the Harris bipods in the safe. The pillow I employ when shooting on snow, easier to set up on a drift than hunt for a firm place for the bipods to sit. Not having the bipod weight on the gun makes running shots seem easier as well.