fox shooting with a rimfire??????

shawn9914

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the answer to the question is a .22lr has probably killed more foxes than any other round in this country. so if kept to sensible range will kill foxes very humanely.

It is only in recent times that high power 22 centre fires have been used when high powered halogen lamps became available. Fox hunting was always the province of the hunt and the landed gentry and not for the hobelty hoy you to shoot them. I've seen real arguments between shooters and hunt followers that have nearly come to blows over shooting foxes and I've known some blokes that have shot a fox virtually off of the noses of the hounds to take the hunt and sport away because the shooters didnt want the stuck up hunt riding roughshod over shooting ground and through the woods. The 22 Rimfire was always classed as a powerful rifle more than capable of knocking Charlie over. I have shot more foxes with my 22rf than my centerfires. It was a complete revolution, a new world to me when I was introduced to night shooting By a local keeper. I had been shooting for years and we had the fox drives but it never occurred to us to go out at night and even if we had thought of it there weren't the halogen lamps available. We just didnt get to do it.

Edited by fortune

It is only in recent times that high power 22 centre fires have been used when high powered halogen lamps became available. Fox hunting was always the province of the hunt and the landed gentry and not for the hobelty hoy you to shoot them. I've seen real arguments between shooters and hunt followers that have nearly come to blows over shooting foxes and I've known some blokes that have shot a fox virtually off of the noses of the hounds to take the hunt and sport away because the shooters didnt want the stuck up hunt riding roughshod over shooting ground and through the woods. The 22 Rimfire was always classed as a powerful rifle more than capable of knocking Charlie over. I have shot more foxes with my 22rf than my centerfires.

correct sir. if i was selling pelts as there were alot of money in it years ago. i would not be shooting them with my 243.

correct sir. if i was selling pelts as there were alot of money in it years ago. i would not be shooting them with my 243.

I forgot about the pelts. We, who went on the fox shoots used to save up the pelt money and have a dinner at the working men's club. If We had thought about getting some transport and rigging up some spotlight of some sort and getting out at night we could have gone on holiday to Spain. No one thought about it that we knew of and there was nothing about it in the shooting times.

I have shot fox with .22LR (it's conditioned for this on my FAC), while rabbiting as per the video below- skip to 2:10 or watch and laugh as I try and get reloaded in the dark! This was with subs.

https://youtu.be/v77Kl1jvWV4

I wouldn't use .22LR out of choice but at a range where you can put the bullet where it's needed it will be ethical.

What are you shooting with ?

You hold it very steady, and some good shooting :)

22 LR is certainly not the tool of choice for foxes but will kill them with subs at sensible ranges. I shot a couple a number of years back whilst after bunnies, sub 50 yards between the eyes.

For clarity if I am out after foxes I use my .243 and as I got rid of the 22 when I got the 17 hmr (and more then enough posts about use of 17 hmrs on foxes on here) .

22 LR is certainly not the tool of choice for foxes but will kill them with subs at sensible ranges. I shot a couple a number of years back whilst after bunnies, sub 50 yards between the eyes.

For clarity if I am out after foxes I use my .243 and as I got rid of the 22 when I got the 17 hmr (and more then enough posts about use of 17 hmrs on foxes on here) .

Mike they dont run far with 243 well mine dont