Famous people you like / respect?

Thunderbird

OK so after the hating thread who do we actually like or respect?

I'll start;

1. Ray Mears

2. Professor Brian Cox (even tho his voice sends me to sleep)

3. Stewart Lee

4. Anthony Bourdain (though I think I'm going off him a bit)

5. Morena Baccharin (wildcard, for reasons I hopefully need not explain)

I have deliberately named this Famous People rather than celebrities as I feel there are many famous people who are simply famous because their job involves being in the media. They don't tend to make cash simply because they're a 'celebrity.' I tend to respect actors who just call it a job. Thing is they're never in the tabloids, because guess what, they don't ask for it!!

Many do a lot of unseen work for charity, such as Jimmy Carr, believe it or not.

Edited by Thunderbird

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actualy like Jonathon Ross, I can understand why some are not keen and did get a bit full of himself but I think talented guy, ditto Chris Evans.

I bet there is more pages on the hater thread, easier and more fun to say who we don't like, even if it does not reflect on us well, be a lover not a hater !!!

I'll second the Ray Mears suggestion. He seems like a decent bloke from what I've seen of him.

I'm not sure how you can really like anyone famous though unless you actually know them. What you see on the TV and how a person is in real life can be very different.

I'll second the Ray Mears suggestion. He seems like a decent bloke from what I've seen of him.

I'm not sure how you can really like anyone famous though unless you actually know them. What you see on the TV and how a person is in real life can be very different.

True but I think there is a level of intelligence and integrity that's hard to fake, and that's what I tend to like. In fact faked lunacy and thickness pays more anyway, e.g. Cambridge footlights president Jonny Vegas!

Edited by Thunderbird

I too like Chris Evans, he used to be a complete tool, fortunately he's grown up.

Richard Branson, as someone else said (Ack-Ack I think), he know's what he is and doesn't try to be anything more...with his dough he doesn't need to though.

Dame Helen Mirren, classy lady, same goes for Judy Dench. Both at the top of their field as well

Sir Steve Redgrave, met him, nice guy and down to earth with it.

Chris Eubank, bound to be a contentious one, but, I've met him a few times and he is as you see him on telly etc, ALL airs and graces :lol: , however, he has been friendly, chatty, approachable and genuine all the time I've been with him and that includes leaning on the railings at Hove Promenade chatting to the lads fishing on the beach.

Prince Charles.

David Attenborough.

Ray Mears

Joanna Lumley

Lance Armstrong

I too like Chris Evans, he used to be a complete tool, fortunately he's grown up.

Richard Branson, as someone else said (Ack-Ack I think), he know's what he is and doesn't try to be anything more...with his dough he doesn't need to though.

Dame Helen Mirren, classy lady, same goes for Judy Dench. Both at the top of their field as well

Sir Steve Redgrave, met him, nice guy and down to earth with it.

Chris Eubank, bound to be a contentious one, but, I've met him a few times and he is as you see him on telly etc, ALL airs and graces :lol: , however, he has been friendly, chatty, approachable and genuine all the time I've been with him and that includes leaning on the railings at Hove Promenade chatting to the lads fishing on the beach.

Grooming ! :yes:

Sir Ranulph Fiennes and Malcom Cooper .

When he was alive , Malcom Cooper used to shoot at the same club as me , I used to run into him quite a lot whenever I was on leave from the army , and was doing a little target shooting .

This guy really knew his stuff when it came to target shooting , and was a very nice chap to boot .

In case you didn't know , Malcom was a double gold medal winner in two olympics games .

All the very best fellas .

Andy .

Prince Charles.

David Attenborough.

Ray Mears

Joanna Lumley

Lance Armstrong

Good calls on all of those Mike :good: Charlie gets a lot of bad press, but the Princes trust do brilliant work. I also like the his attitude to protecting the rural landscape and way of life. I even like the fact he's a bit mad and talks to his petunias :lol:

Sir Ranulph Fiennes and Malcom Cooper .

When he was alive , Malcom Cooper used to shoot at the same club as me , I used to run into him quite a lot whenever I was on leave from the army , and was doing a little target shooting .

This guy really knew his stuff when it came to target shooting , and was a very nice chap to boot .

In case you didn't know , Malcom was a double gold medal winner in two olympics games .

Andy .

He was also joint founder of Accuracy International match and sniper rifle makers :good:

Good calls on all of those Mike :good: Charlie gets a lot of bad press, but the Princes trust do brilliant work. I also like the his attitude to protecting the rural landscape and way of life. I even like the fact he's a bit mad and talks to his petunias :lol:

Yeah good call on Charlie, lot of time for him and like the way he's been able to guide his boys without knocking the spirit out of them....not so keen on the Lumley call mind, but will say no more this being a positive thread! :D

[/quote

My wife and I met Chris Eubank at Heathrow airport a few years ago , had a bit of a chat with him at Starbucks , found him to be a really nice guy , Humble and polite , friendly and was willing to talk boxing with me .

I remember telling him that I always respected him as a boxer , but thought he came across as mad as a box of frogs whenever he was interviewed , I sort of remember my wife standing behind him as I was saying this , shaking her head and doing the SHUT UP NOW , SHOOSH!!! Thingy girls do whenever us men are talking ourself into a situation etc....

He told me he acts up a bit for the cameras as its his gimmick , makes us all talk about him and remember him , got to say , it seems to work eh?

Andy .