Rough Shooting today

ollie

Dispite the mild weather I thought I would go out today and try to bag a few woodcock. I have got a couple of days off work and I am determined to get a bit more shooting done before the season is out. I did a serious bit of walking today without flushing many woodcock; however, I did manage to bag 2 rabbits, 4 woodcock & 1 snipe.

The woodcock today were quite good shots as it was quite windy and they were moving a lot in the wind. The snipe that I shot was the first snipe I have fired at all year; I think with the mild weather they have been keeping to the high ground and also every farmer seems to be draining their fields which means the habitat is not as good as in the past for the snipe. I could have shot another couple of rabbits but 2 was enough to give variation in my pie. I am hoping to get out again tomorrow but I think the weather is to be poor.

PICT0415.jpg

Well done Ollie :good: nice day out then.Good write up lots of farms around here have drained land over the last 10 years.Does spoil a lot of habitat.Worst lot where the Forestry Commision they put big ploughs and drains then planted trees on all the boggy land :hmm:

Our local river Dovey has suffered it now rises very fast and drops fast.Spoiled i.m.o 1 of the best seatrout rivers in Wales :sad1:

Well done Ollie :good: nice day out then.Good write up lots of farms around here have drained land over the last 10 years.Does spoil a lot of habitat.Worst lot where the Forestry Commision they put big ploughs and drains then planted trees on all the boggy land :hmm:

Our local river Dovey has suffered it now rises very fast and drops fast.Spoiled i.m.o 1 of the best seatrout rivers in Wales :sad1:

Over in Ireland the farmers have stopped getting grants for having Whin/Gorse bushes on their land so this has led to a lot of cover taken out and land drained. This IMO has spoiled some of the woodcock shooting habitat, but I don't blame the farmers, I blame the government for the loss of habitat.

Cracking bag again Ollie,and the dug looks as though hes earned his supper.

Cheers mate. Yeh she worked great, this is her third season and she keeps getting better, she won't be 3 years of age until May. I'm hoping to maybe take a litter out of her this spring.

Well done - it looks as if the Glens are where the woodcock are this year as others have also had good sport.

Very few in this part of County Down although we shot a couple last Saturday & one yesterday [maybe saw 5 or 6]. However, we had a good go last week at the snipe which were in excellent condition and in good numbers. I think the problem is that it has been so wet here that they are well dispersed and we see them in grassy fields as well as in the bogs.

The dog looks as if he/she has had a great day as well.

Good luck for tomorrow.....

Well done - it looks as if the Glens are where the woodcock are this year as others have also had good sport.

Very few in this part of County Down although we shot a couple last Saturday & one yesterday [maybe saw 5 or 6]. However, we had a good go last week at the snipe which were in excellent condition and in good numbers. I think the problem is that it has been so wet here that they are well dispersed and we see them in grassy fields as well as in the bogs.

The dog looks as if he/she has had a great day as well.

Good luck for tomorrow.....

Thanks mate, it was actually today I was out. Only got out for a couple of hours before the rain started, went ferreting and got 5.

We haven't had the normal fall of Woodcock in the Glens as years gone by, but it is only to be expected with the mild weather. Lets hope the population of Woodcock hasn't taking a hit with the last couple of harsh winters and hopefully this mild one will help their numbers recover.

Cheers lads :good: . I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow, but it is blowing a gale here at the moment.

The forecast is very good for tomorrow - dry, some sun and moderate winds. Hope the County Antrim gales drop a bit - here it is cold with a southerly breeze - no more - and dry after rain earlier today.

Let us know how you got on. We are also shooting......