I'm Quitting!

Frenchieboy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck sir, from one who is three years smoke-free and counting. Ok, it might be willpower, but it is still tough going. One of the best bits of advice I was given was - if you do slip and have a drag/fag, there's a little voice in your head that starts "See, you can't do it!" or "That's it, you have failed again, so what's the point even tryng?" - which gives you the excuse to start again full-blast. Th hardest part is not to listen to that, they used to call it the 'Twenty second rule' - the time it takes to get a fag out of the packet, into your mouth and light it, once you get past that, you can do it. Stick with it my friend, I too have chest problems and they have improved significantly since I stopped. :good:

If you want to stop smoking,and stop for the rest of your life;buy 'the Easy Way to Stop Smoking' by Alan Carr(not the gay comedian)which I've no doubt you will get on Amazon.100's of thousands of people have stopped smoking after reading this book.It doesn't get any simpler than this...you carry on smoking while you're reading the book,while you're reading it your brain is being 'mind set' to stop and by the time you get to the end of the book you will want to stop.No withdrawel,no anxiety,you simply stop,and that's it.If you're serious about stopping,then what have you got to lose...apart from the cost of the book?

If you want to torture yourself while stopping,then carry on as you are,if you want to do it the easy way,then buy the book.In fact PM me your address and I'll send you the bloody thing FOC!

Edited by Scully

If you want to stop smoking,and stop for the rest of your life;buy 'the Easy Way to Stop Smoking' by Alan Carr(not the gay comedian)which I've no doubt you will get on Amazon.100's of thousands of people have stopped smoking after reading this book.It doesn't get any simpler than this...you carry on smoking while you're reading the book,while you're reading it your brain is being 'mind set' to stop and by the time you get to the end of the book you will want to stop.No withdrawel,no anxiety,you simply stop,and that's it.If you're serious about stopping,then what have you got to lose...apart from the cost of the book?

If you want to torture yourself while stopping,then carry on as you are,if you want to do it the easy way,then buy the book.In fact PM me your address and I'll send you the bloody thing FOC!

is that to anyone or just Frenchie as i have used patches zyban and will power but i always fail after i have given up when had a drink and then start again Grr

Best of luck Frenchie, I was a heavy smoker (roll your own no filter) for 25 years, tried a few times to stop but fell off the wagon every time, tried every method too, gum, tablets, patches the lot, the clincher for me was my young daughter in tears because they had been learning at her junior school about the effects of smoking, she was begging me and her mother to stop, almost broke my heart she did, that was it for me, never had another fag and that was almost 7 years ago, hope you do it m8 hard work but well worth it. :good:

is that to anyone or just Frenchie as i have used patches zyban and will power but i always fail after i have given up when had a drink and then start again Grr

:lol: Sorry...only have the one book...if I can find it!I stopped smoking after reading this book and the following night went to the pub and got blotto.....never even felt like a fag despite sitting with my mates,some of whom still smoke!Honestly,I was amazed at just how good I felt because here I was sitting in a pub,drinking,and didn't even feel like a smoke.

Offer stands Frenchie.

all the best with quitting mate, there are enough chances of gettin cancer these days without addin to them ! Mu auntie smoked 50+ a day for a life time and decided one day she'd quite and she did, she just stopped and that was it she never smoked another one again so if she could quit you can too, your health is so important - leave the cancer sticks alone :good:

Hey Frechie

well done on trying to quit again.

Im currently on champix as well, my quit date is sunday 22nd Jan, my birthday.

anyhow ive been smoking since i was about 13, so ive ben smoking 20year, not good, i didnt smoke too many a day depends what sort of mood im in or what i was doing. usally it was around 12-15 cigs a day.

Anyway last year i rolled my landrover with a friend, so had to buy a new car i bought an audi nice car, i decided not to smoke in it, so it been a month with no smoking in the car.

Friday the 06th i had an appointment with the nurse to check my blood pressure etc while there i said about giving up smoking and i got pescribed champix.

i started taking them on sunday 08th jan, and i cut down straight away down to half with a couple of days, tablets made me feel sick at first but that all the side affect ive had so far.

i was still smoking up till sunday 15th, where i ran out of cigs, i busted my ankle up over the weekend also, so i couldnt walk or drive to the shop to get any so just went with out.

So far its been 4 days with out a smoke, now dont get me wrong i do at times fancy one when work mates go for one but ive managed to stay in and not join them.

so im happy taking the pills for now lol

so far so good im off them.

but as other have said it staying off them is the hardest part.

Another ex smoker here. To be honest I find that if you set a date, then that seems to put more pressure on you. You end up smoking more than ever before the date, then after the date you can do nothing but think about smoking. Its a nightmare. Then if you do cave in and smoke you feel a failure etc..

What I did is think about when do I smoke the most? When im out drinking, when im stuck in traffic jams, after meals, first thing in the morning and if I start getting stressed during the day. So, then I tried to cut off the association between each of those things and smoking. So, id not go out drinking... that stopped me wanting a smoke then. Id wait until mid morning if possible before having one. Id avoid traffic jams or smoking in the car. etc. etc. I switched from marlborough red or black to roll ups... then id only have half a one instead of 2 at a time. I also bought some nicorette lozenges, so would have one of them instead of a fag sometimes.

Before I knew it, id cut right down like mad. From 20 a day (more at w/ends) down to maybe 10 a week. It then got to the stage where id be thinking less and less about smoking, and could quite easily go out for a fresh air break, rather than a fag break.

Now adays the only time I ever smoke is if im out on the town with a bunch of mates and have had lots to drink. I may have a couple then, but more often or not I dont bother. After you havent smoked for a while, the taste of a fag is vile, and that alone is enough to put you off for a while.

Another key thing I found it to keep myself busy. Start doing something like a hobby so you are too busy to smoke. Maybe working out, doing DIY, gardening or something.

Good luck with it all!

cuting down or out of anything you like is hard........ at 104kg (16 stone) i have been packing to much weight for a long time and started to feel out of sorts. I am not a small frame with 8 inch wrists and a 19 1/2 neck nither of which change much on weight loss however my gut was getting silly and i cant see my willy under normal circumstance so things had to change :lol: going well now its been almost a week for me and thats a record :lol: so just keep bigging yourself up and you should be ok FB

Good Luck!

I'm 7 weeks into giving up again, this time I hope i've got it. It's been quite hard at times but I take every day as it comes. This time I made sure everyone around me knew i'd given up, including my boss and colleagues, this has made it easier as I can't turn up stinking as I would get an ear bashing! Last time I gave up (I told the wife I had anyway) but I just gave up when at home as I continued in the car and at work. Pointless really!

I'm using patches to keep me on a level, then if it's tough or a meal time I have one of those puffer things. I have found this to work really well. 2 more weeks of stage 1 patches then I'll drop a stage. If you go patches, don't drop too early as it will catch you out. Now finding i'm hardly ever on the puffy thing, but I know it's there if I need it.

Breaking the habit is the toughest, I used to smoke at certain points in my journey, after meals, out on the beers, high stress times. Just try to avoid these for a couple of months and you should get through it.

Hope this helps

Steve

goodd luck with it mate, have done it myself a few times, longest was a couple of years but i do love my smokes and i think the damage is done. i know of people who have smoked and been off the stuff twenty years and still died of lung cancer or smoking related illness...best of luck anyhow....i'm just gazing at my pipe right now :lol:

I gave up completely 2yrs ago now, after smoking mostly on weekends after a few pints with the lads. Never smoked during the week but loved a fag after a few pints, and did for years. But after breaking my leg 2yrs ago i had to give up drinking for 7 months due to taking Warfrin from having blood clots due to said broken leg. After 7 months of not drinking i found that i never had a fag in that time and never looked back. Now 2 yrs on the smell of some one who has been smoking makes me feel like throwing up. And i can honestly say i absolute hate the stinking habit now and every thing to do with it.

Ironic i suppose, that it took a serious medical condition to make me wake up and give up the cigs, so stopping me having another serious medical condition perhaps not so far in thr future.

Perhaps this is your wake up call you need to finally quit the evil weed for good.

Wish you every success mate and i hope your health improves along the way.

ATB

DD

champax?no no frenchieboy set yourself a challenge mate and go the cold turkey.i have been off them 4 month now and cant see the point of patches etc the object is to rid the body of nicotine .dont trust any drug its there to make someone money,and who knows the effects of them in say 10-15 years.i to read the book by allen car and came up with my own methods based around this book.i declared war on the cravings and up to now im still winning.i still feel like lighting up at times but have come to understand this is a lifelong battle.i am enjoying the challenge to be honest.you basically gotta retrain your brain mate i know this might sound strange but its working for me.i decided to quit when i was really stressed telling myself this is the best time because when im not stressed it becomes more easy if you can understand that.youve been there before mate you KNOW you can do it.its only a smoke and anyhow before you started when you were younger it didnt bother you about a cigerette so rewind back to them days and remember how it felt.go for it fella and tell yaself its ONLY a smoke that lasts 5 mins.and for that craving ,well starve it.best of luck pal.