pigeons in tree with shotgun?

tomhw100

unsporting  

140 members have voted

1. 1. do you shoot pigeons sitting in tree's with shotgun?

• yes
    • no
    • only if they have been chipped

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Today, 02:10 PM

Ace Pigeon Shooter

Group:Members

Member:21470

Catamong, on 03 February 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

Blimey, you've got some odd Farmer friends, all of mine would be absolutely over the moon if every single rabbit was removed from their farms, permanently.

As for not shooting a pigeon because it happens to be sitting in a tree, well, none of my farmers would be able to understand the logic behind that one..

Cat.

"i didn't say farmer i said small holding"!

True at the start of your post you did not, but you did end with the following statement "so i don't think all farmers are the same". I have noticed that you tend to make out you are the respectful hunter. You do not like the fact that someone has shot a good stag on the ground that you use and are not shy saying so. I wonder what you actually know about centre fire shooting never mind stalking as by your signature you seem to be missing a Deer legal rifle.

You made comments about the fact that a post showing a very efficient method of breasting a Pheasant was disrespectful to your Quarry. Good for you, get a life it is dead.

You have respect for Pigeons so will not shoot them in the trees. You will however shoot Crows and Magpies in the same situation because they are *****, whatever you mean. If I was a farmer/land owner and you refused to shoot the pest that was decimating my crops in every situation I would find someone who would and you would be out on your neck.

I think that all quarry be it large or small require respect in that they should be dispatched with the minimum stress. If you are good at hunting hopefully all your quarry will be killed with no or minimum knowledge that you were even in the area. An instant death or at least as humanly as possible is what I and all other good hunters will strive to achieve. How the carcase is prepared has no relevance to the hunt as long as it or part of it is prepared for consumption, be it human or other animal.

If you start a pole and try to lay down your way as being right you should expect others to disagree.

So why don’t you stick that in your pipe and smoke it. :good:

I do it and can honestly hand on heart say some of the best sport I have ever had is shooting pigeons which have landed high up in the trees in a wood where ground cover is virtually non-existent. Stalking within 50m or so for a shot is actually remarkably challenging as you can stick out like a sore thumb. The intention is to shoot them as they come in to land but if they land a couple of hundred yards away then it's game on and stalking them is fantastic sport. 32g of 6's in the 1/2 choke barrel and 36g of 4's in the full choke barrel on the back trigger deals with this nicely.

Without blowing my own trumpet, I can shoot. However, a sitting pigeon/rabbit can be a surprisingly hard target to hit, especially if it's liable to take flight into a mass of other trees and branches at any moment. If the thrill and 'sport' is in the chase or stalk, then in my eyes, the shot is more sporting than a decoyed bird. :good:

I will also shoot birds on the floor when decoying but in my opinion this is a much harder bird to kill cleanly as it really needs to be pretty close or breast on to avoid the risk of wounding if the bird turns away from you. The vitals are protected by the wings as opposed to being exposed when in flight. As another member posted earlier, I often just spook them into flying and drop them once they have taken off as it's an easier bird to kill cleanly. When spooked in this fashion I find they usually fly with the wind up their tail so you stand a better chance of guessing the line in which they will fly anyway.

FM :)

Its got nothing to do with the sporting element I just don't like damaging trees.

You should come squirrel bashing with us then :blink:

Without blowing my own trumpet, I can shoot. However, a sitting pigeon/rabbit can be a surprisingly hard target to hit, especially if it's liable to take flight into a mass of other trees and branches at any moment.

+1 I wouldn't do a vermin day without at least 1/2 and 3/4 chokes in now.

I keep meaning to take my range finder and ping some of the 'easy' sitting shots.

We tend to shoot beech woods those trees, plus the fact it is hilly, can present some mega tall shots. They are damn sight harder to hit than some close up crossers that's for sure.

I generally don't shoot pigeons in trees unless they are pickled or there is a chance of 2 with the 1 shot. I had an opportunity like this whilst Roost Shooting earlier in the Winter and I managed to get both pigeons with the 1 shot.

The pest control side doesn't really come into it for me as there is not a great volume of pigeons where I live; however, if the farmer was having a particular problem with pigeons then I would have no problem shooting them on trees. Try shooting them before they get into the trees and then it is less hassle :good:

Ferret Master: I don't think I have ever missed a pigeon sitting in a tree or a rabbit sitting in the ground. Lets be honest there is challenge in the stalk but the actual shot is very straight forward.

I generally don't shoot pigeons in trees unless they are pickled

Ferret Master: I don't think I have ever missed a pigeon sitting in a tree or a rabbit sitting in the ground. Lets be honest there is challenge in the stalk but the actual shot is very straight forward.

What on earth is a pickled pigeon, one that's been on the lash all night....?? :hmm:

And as for never missing a pigeon or a rabbit sitting on the ground, my goodness, you can't have shot at many..? :no:

Cat.

Posted Today, 02:10 PM

Ace Pigeon Shooter

Group:Members

Member:21470

Catamong, on 03 February 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

Blimey, you've got some odd Farmer friends, all of mine would be absolutely over the moon if every single rabbit was removed from their farms, permanently.

As for not shooting a pigeon because it happens to be sitting in a tree, well, none of my farmers would be able to understand the logic behind that one..

Cat.

"i didn't say farmer i said small holding"!

True at the start of your post you did not, but you did end with the following statement "so i don't think all farmers are the same". I have noticed that you tend to make out you are the respectful hunter. You do not like the fact that someone has shot a good stag on the ground that you use and are not shy saying so. I wonder what you actually know about centre fire shooting never mind stalking as by your signature you seem to be missing a Deer legal rifle.

You made comments about the fact that a post showing a very efficient method of breasting a Pheasant was disrespectful to your Quarry. Good for you, get a life it is dead.

You have respect for Pigeons so will not shoot them in the trees. You will however shoot Crows and Magpies in the same situation because they are *****, whatever you mean. If I was a farmer/land owner and you refused to shoot the pest that was decimating my crops in every situation I would find someone who would and you would be out on your neck.

I think that all quarry be it large or small require respect in that they should be dispatczhed with the minimum stress. If you are good at hunting hopefully all your quarry will be killed with no or minimum knowledge that you were even in the area. An instant death or at least as humanly as possible is what I and all other good hunters will strive to achieve. How the carcase is prepared has no relevance to the hunt as long as it or part of it is prepared for consumption, be it human or other animal.

If you start a pole and try to lay down your way as being right you should expect others to disagree.

So why don’t you stick that in your pipe and smoke it. :good:

Bloody hell blunderbust what crawled up your ****?!I sam entilted to my views as you are,I'm just arguing my point, you do seem to dislike me thoughh. Don't you have nothinng better to do than come on here and slag me off- you mustbe a very sad an lonely man. I have the upmost respect for all of mmy quarry and I have no need to pretend I think you may be the one pretending. Next time you have a go give me some viable points instead of just slagging me off because your bored. Just because I don't have a centre doesn't mean I no nothing oof rifles-i never said I did anyway.your not my farmers so I don't give a **** what yousay anyway and I said one not all of them.I'm glad I've annoyed you so strongly though. Your posts do seem a but hypocritical though I'm fighting my corner your fighting yours.thanks for your views they have provided with me some entertainment.although I couldn't give.a flying **** about them

By the way I quit smoking the pipe,just on the fags now.

That ****** on you fireworrk didn't it

i've shot them sat in trees when the oppertunity has presented its self, as far as i was aware its illegal to shoot them for sporting reasons so not sure where getting all gentlemanly with sporting shots come in to it, your there to kill them nothing more.

i've shot a pigeon clean in half before as it landed about 6ft from the end of my barrel on a low branch as i was roost shooting, i was sat with my back to a tree and flew from behind me and got settled i slowly took the safety off raised my gun and watched half a pigeon drop to the floor. i'd rather they was all like that if it mean not missing them :blush:

Bloody hell blunderbust what crawled up your ****?!I sam entilted to my views as you are,I'm just arguing my point, you do seem to dislike me thoughh. Don't you have nothinng better to do than come on here and slag me off- you mustbe a very sad an lonely man. I have the upmost respect for all of mmy quarry and I have no need to pretend I think you may be the one pretending. Next time you have a go give me some viable points instead of just slagging me off because your bored. Just because I don't have a centre doesn't mean I no nothing oof rifles-i never said I did anyway.your not my farmers so I don't give a **** what yousay anyway and I said one not all of them.I'm glad I've annoyed you so strongly though. Your posts do seem a but hypocritical though I'm fighting my corner your fighting yours.thanks for your views they have provided with me some entertainment.although I couldn't give.a flying **** about them

I am sorry you feel that I am slagging you off. I am merely pointing out that your posts all seem to have the same theme. You do not like how others go about their shooting and it is normally because you disagree with what they have done. You then get round to the fact that you respect your quarry. You almost always get into a key board slagging match because you don’t like others suggesting alternative options. I personally do believe that you are respectful towards your quarry and would not argue otherwise.

You are right, you are entitled to your opinion, but so are others.

By the way I quit fireworks, they are dangerous. :good:

I am sorry you feel that I am slagging you off. I am merely pointing out that your posts all seem to have the same theme. You do not like how others go about their shooting and it is normally because you disagree with what they have done. You then get round to the fact that you respect your quarry. You almost always get into a key board slagging match because you don’t like others suggesting alternative options. I personally do believe that you are respectful towards your quarry and would not argue otherwise.

You are right, you are entitled to your opinion, but so are others.

By the way I quit fireworks, they are dangerous. :good:

At the end of the day we both have different views which I respect...maybe I shouldnt force mine on others as much then agree!?

Good I've heard they are Highly addictive :lol:

Edited by tomhw100

What on earth is a pickled pigeon, one that's been on the lash all night....?? :hmm:

And as for never missing a pigeon or a rabbit sitting on the ground, my goodness, you can't have shot at many..? :no:

Cat.

Pickled/Pricked/Clipped all the same depending on what location your from.

Are you serious? What is difficult about shooting a pigeon sitting on a branch? Also a rabbit is a difficult target when full out sprinting, but sitting on it's ***** it is simple.