RSPB

Tam

I was at the Caravan & Leisure show at the SECC yesterday - wandering round the side stands a very polite chap asked me if I was interested in helping wildlife & wild birds :hmm: I looked up & saw the RSPB banner :oops: I told him "actually I do help wildlife & wild birds" looking interested he asked how - "predetor control" was my reply & whilst he was still spitting teeth I told him without shooting sports & predator control the wild life & wild birds would be in a sorry state :lol: :lol: :lol:

A chap I shoot with is into his butterflies and keeps those big moths the name of which at this time escapes me. He was at a butterfly event and Chris Packham was there. They started talking and Packham started talking about the Geese in scotland. My buddy was all ears and said he was going up in a few weeks himself, Packham nearly had a Connery when he realised why :lol:

Often i walk my dogs at a nearby nature reserve and during the summer months its common to see a RSPB trailer in the carpark with a chap inside for memberships.He asked me once if i had ever considered joining them and i replied "i think im what you lot regard as the enemy" then pointed to the small BASC badge on my fleece jacket.

He smiled and walked off.

A chap I shoot with is into his butterflies and keeps those big moths the name of which at this time escapes me. He was at a butterfly event and Chris Packham was there. They started talking and Packham started talking about the Geese in scotland. My buddy was all ears and said he was going up in a few weeks himself, Packham nearly had a Connery when he realised why :lol:

That surprises me

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/09/27/chris-packham-elephants-and-deer-should-be-culled-115875-23448428/

I'm in the BASC and RSPB. Why not :hmm:

Have a quick rethink chap. Did you see the article about RSPB buying some marshes with a grant from SNH and then calling for wildfowling to be banned on it !!!! Am waiting for the day when they call time on the Dee ........ sure they've got their good points but their aims seem to be in direct conflict with most sportsmens

Similar experience with Greenpeace at the end of last month. I was approached walking along the highstreet, "would you be interested in joining our campaign?" My exact response was "No, no I really really do not." Obviously the nice sandal wearing chap asked why so I replied, "because I like burning eating excessive amounts of red meat, living in a country with a nuclear deterrent and murdering wildlife."

End of conversation... I would normally be polite in a situation like this but I'd had a few with my lunch in the Weatherspoons and the words just flowed.

Still, sandals in January, I was impressed. :oops:

I had a similar experience a few years ago, when a local MP was canvassing to be re-elected. All shooters know his stance on guns, even air rifles. Anyway, he approached me for a 'chat', and I asked him, 'What do you intend to do with all these people getting shotgun licences, and being allowed rifles etc? When he said that he would do everything in his power to get them banned etc etc, I told him how I control vermin, and his face was a picture. Oh, and he did'nt get my vote. :)

Similar experience with Greenpeace at the end of last month. I was approached walking along the highstreet, "would you be interested in joining our campaign?" My exact response was "No, no I really really do not." Obviously the nice sandal wearing chap asked why so I replied, "because I like burning eating excessive amounts of red meat, living in a country with a nuclear deterrent and murdering wildlife."

End of conversation... I would normally be polite in a situation like this but I'd had a few with my lunch in the Weatherspoons and the words just flowed.

Still, sandals in January, I was impressed. :oops:

:lol:

We have a local man who as a lad went out shooting, but later became a keen twitcher/bat man but he still comes out with his gun on local game shoots - no problem. He often calls me the 'butcher' & asks me about all the blood on my hands - I reply," no prob, dogs lick it off".

we had a stall for the RSPB at work and i got chatting to them. Was quite funny when i found out i was a shooter as he actually said BASC and the like do alot for wildlife and could not understand the actions of some twichers as in his own words "we both like to look at the birds. Some with binos others down a barrel"

One of my bosses is a twitcher and a fully fledged (pun) member of the RSPB. He knows what I do, I know what he does and we respect each others views. He has no problem with me shooting game and vermin and I have no problem with him watching birds. Even if I did it wouldn't matter as he pays my wages!

The bit that ****** me off at that show is there were no shooting or fishing stands when I went I asked at the front desk before I went in if there were any fishing stands they didnt know so I asked if they could check the program they offered to sell me one, I declined that was years ago and I still dont think there is anything of that sort. Maybe Tam could correct me or confirm my fears. :good:

The bit that ****** me off at that show is there were no shooting or fishing stands when I went I asked at the front desk before I went in if there were any fishing stands they didnt know so I asked if they could check the program they offered to sell me one, I declined that was years ago and I still dont think there is anything of that sort. Maybe Tam could correct me or confirm my fears. :good:

:no: :no: :no: & even less boat stuff than last year - on a plus point I bought a big bucket if chips/dust for the smoker made from Oak Whisky Casks :good: :good: :good: