Lamp shy rabbits

BRAD1927

Been out on my perm tonight and seen loads of rabbits so picked an ambush site and sat quiet for about 20 minutes. Plenty of rabbits showed but as soon as I turned on my Deben Tracer (red filter)they disappeared before I could get a shot.

I asked the farmer the other day if anyone else had been shooting and he said some lads tried lamping (not much success).

Gonna give it a try tomorrow in daylight but sadly cant afford NV so any suggestions welcome please.

I did manage to get 8 however.

A dimmer lamp perhaps? Or wait till weekend after next for maximum moons.

If you get yourself comfortably settled in place and keep still you will quite often find you can see pretty good throuigh a half decent scope once your nite eyes wake up so to speak.

change the colour of your filter, and if you have the dimmer then use the least light possible (but as always dont ever just shoot at eyeshine) Im not sure if you can buy the dimmers seperately, but its worth looking into if you havent got one

Or if not then just give the area a break for a month or so

hope this helps atb Ratty

I was out last night as well - foxing in my case.

Bad night for it.

The light winds were all over the place - went through 180 degrees in one ten minute period.

Also clear sky and nearly half a moon.

If you were holed up somewhere and not moving you should be OK but if you were on the move then the bunnies will be watching you all the time.

As soon as you put the light on it triggers the alarm bells and they are off.

Get a cloudy night with a 10mph wind and you will do alright again.

Thanks for the tip please keep them coming.

I was lying in a ditch when I got the majority of the 8 and had to wait a good hour and half for them to settle. Unfortunatley I am shooting over winter wheat so farmer wants me to crack on otherwise wheat will be to high to see them.

Without a lie the area is like watershipdown lots of rabbits I have tried blue, clear, amber and green filters and the red is probably the best. the ditch is only 20-25yds from the burrows/feeding area and is really the limit for visibiity as there is no natural light in the area. I have zeroed my HW100 with 3-9 x 50 scope at 25yds and can place 10 shots in a 1/2" circle so accuracy is not an issue. I did see 2 badgers in the area last night so maybe they spooked them a bit.

I did think of ferreting and shooting with the shotgun on the bolt but far to many holes to cover. As said before gonna try again tonight but will go to the area about 4ish and try and use the daylight.

Thanks for the tip please keep them coming.

I was lying in a ditch when I got the majority of the 8 and had to wait a good hour and half for them to settle. Unfortunatley I am shooting over winter wheat so farmer wants me to crack on otherwise wheat will be to high to see them.

Without a lie the area is like watershipdown lots of rabbits I have tried blue, clear, amber and green filters and the red is probably the best. the ditch is only 20-25yds from the burrows/feeding area and is really the limit for visibiity as there is no natural light in the area. I have zeroed my HW100 with 3-9 x 50 scope at 25yds and can place 10 shots in a 1/2" circle so accuracy is not an issue. I did see 2 badgers in the area last night so maybe they spooked them a bit.

I did think of ferreting and shooting with the shotgun on the bolt but far to many holes to cover. As said before gonna try again tonight but will go to the area about 4ish and try and use the daylight.

Good luck mate. I wouldn't ferret them at this time of the year, the breeding season for rabbits will be well under way and you will have a problem if the ferret runs into a nest of kits :lol:

Good luck mate. I wouldn't ferret them at this time of the year, the breeding season for rabbits will be well under way and you will have a problem if the ferret runs into a nest of kits :lol:

Fiar point I guess time and patients is required and some early mornings

What you need is a 4x4 and a shotgun up top, go out about half 6-7 and you can get BIG BAGS! One of my perms I get 4 times as many rabbits out at 5am than there is at 11pm :good: and atb mate

Sadly the farmer wont let me take the 4x4 any further than the gate so walking and waiting only option.

i got an area like that and found if i get there 5am in the morning get into position while its still dark then at 1st light start plugging away,

its working for me

colin

Well been out in the fields since 0430hrs this morning (all dayer, now 1730hrs), as usual lamp shy was not the word so went to one particular corner and set up a hide from my pigeon kit and waited.

As daylight started to approach I could see about 15/20 rabbits about 25/30yds away but not enough light for my 3-9 x 50 scope so sat patiently til the light was good.

I managed to bag 5 rabbits all in all but very jumpy the slightest movement and they would break for cover, even the "phut" from my silenced HW100 spooked them when on other perms I would normally bag 3/4 before they bomb burst.

Gonna have to have a word with the farmer and tell him they will need to be left alone for a week or 2 maybe longer as my efforts are somewhat futile :blush: .

Good news though managed to bag 3 woodies 4 crows a magpie and a squirell.

Any other suggestions before I break the news to him or more to the point how to break the news to him?

To be fare you have given your best. I have over the years been in the same boat. Loads of Rabbits that are hard to get, one permission has a long straight hedge at the side of a wood, every man and his dog has had a go but no one has done better than the no.s you talk of, me included. That could be why you were invited to shoot there ;)

atvb Paul.

Edited by Shropshire_Lad

To be fare you have given your best. I have over the years been in the same boat. Loads of Rabbits that are hard to get, one permission has a long straight hedge at the side of a wood, every man and his dog has had a go but no one has done better than the no.s you talk of, me included. That could be why you were invited to shoot there ;)

atvb Paul.

Hi Paul the offer is still open if you fancy a shot with the FAC?

Most of the area is not to bad with the air rifle but may need something a little stronger (as suggested above)for that extra distance managed a total of 26 over 4/5 outings. Majority of the warrens are in hedgerows and not that many holes to cover so gonna give it a go with the ferrets and shotgun/nets however the top field is also a wood/quarry and is like the london underground definatley need fac and a miracle for that one!!!! The last field is right next to the main road so no fac/shotguns :no: but the holes are on the rightside for airrifle/ferreting.

Let me know your thoughts. :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

Good news today another 5 rabbits in the bag with my new ferrets, fantastic little workers looks like one found a nest/cornered rabbit as she came out covered in blood (no injury to her)

but well trained and didn't stay down. Wish I had taken the shotgun though as I missed a few holes (not accessable)and could have had them on the bolt bringing my tally to about 24.

All in all a very enjoyable afternoon so gonna give it a go with the other field tomorrow. :D:shoot:

I was out last night as well - foxing in my case.

Bad night for it.

The light winds were all over the place - went through 180 degrees in one ten minute period.

Also clear sky and nearly half a moon.

If you were holed up somewhere and not moving you should be OK but if you were on the move then the bunnies will be watching you all the time.

As soon as you put the light on it triggers the alarm bells and they are off.

Get a cloudy night with a 10mph wind and you will do alright again.

Precisely the same applies with NV. The only difference between NV and lamps is that the rabbits don't get lampshy. Care and stealth are just as important. NV isn't a magic wand.

For lamp filters, I bought some coloured acetate sheets from an art shop. About £2 for an 18" square sheet. Cut out a circle and fit behing the lamp lens. Cutting out a 10mm round hole in the centre increase brightness without altering colour. I found that red was the only colour that worked for me. Definitely use a dimmer and better still a lamp man who knows what he's doing and allows you to shoot on the periphery of the light.

As a rule of thumb I reckon if you lamp the same patch frequently you'll halve the bag with each trip as they wise up. So after four nights they'll scarper and you'll get nothing. Don't go night after night to the same patch, give them a few days to recover and vary the times of night.

the rabbits on the croft here where i stay got very lamp shy so what i did was every night when i was out walking the dog, i took a lamp and shone it around the parks without shooting. i did this for a couple of weeks every night until the rabbits got used to it, then for one night took the rifle and nailed a few trying as hard as i could not to miss (not going to mention any figures :whistling: ) then left it for a couple of weeks doing the same thing. it seemed to work for me. :thumbs:

atvb Paul.

I've got quite a few like that. The secret I think is to identify the areas of heaviest activity during the day and snipe just that spot. Always, always a dozen will skip out of cover 200 or 300 yds away and do cartwheels in front of you where you can't get at them. Resist the temptation to keep upping and moving. You end up with very smart rabbits and an empty bag. Stick to plan A and note the other area, the time of day and conditions and pencil it in for another time. If the headland has holes all the way along I don't want to be sitting among the burrow entrances so I'll stay out in the field, if crop height allows. I'll go opposite the busiest area, 50 yds out for the .22 and ping a landmark 100 yds in either directin with the rangefinder. (70 yds out and 170 either way for the HMR). That gives me a ranged field of fire which I'll stick to.

I reckon shooting into a long headland rather than along it or trying to walk it up and down is generally more productive.