First Swallow

rimfire4969

We had a pair nesting on the side of the house last year. Give it another week or two and I'll be regularly gazing upwards to see whether there's been any, additional contruction work on the little nest. It was rather nice having 'em as temporary lodgers.

Saw my first Swallow of the year on the campsite yesterday. Very pleased an incredible journey by a small bird.

Anyone else seen one yet?

Saw three in fact, last Wednesday Afternoon whilst doing a BBS for the BTO. They were hunting over a dairy pasture near Cirencester... This is one of the earliest Ive seen them...plus a sand Martin on the Upper Thames at Eysey on Saturday.

Incredible journey indeed...getting past the Spanish, Italian and French guns is the biggest achievment...the flights a doddle in comparison

The first I saw this year was 13th March, then nothing for a week before they started passing through in numbers. I heard a cuckoo on Wednesday morning last week whilst a friend who lives south of Paris reckons he heard one a week before that. Red kites and harriers are seen daily now. Downside is that the two week period in February where the overnight temps dropped to minus 17C and daytime never got above -7C has done for a lot of resident song birds and kingfishers.

Saw three in fact, last Wednesday Afternoon whilst doing a BBS for the BTO. They were hunting over a dairy pasture near Cirencester... This is one of the earliest Ive seen them...plus a sand Martin on the Upper Thames at Eysey on Saturday.

Incredible journey indeed...getting past the Spanish, Italian and French guns is the biggest achievment...the flights a doddle in comparison

The French don't shoot swallows. In fact they barely shoot anything they can't eat. :lol: