recommend a half decent knife

leeds chimp

looking to get a half decent knife for when i am shooting and fishing and have no idea really where to start.

Budget is upto £30 and want a case with it so can clip on my belt. Needs to be able to stand alot of abuse

Like the look of the one in the for sale section but just want other views

Like the man Mungler said, the Mora is all the knife you ever need and more. It's ******** for paunching rabbits though, for that you need an Opinel.

Get a nice stainless bladed, fluorescent Mora and you'll never lose it either, plus you can bung it in the dishwasher.

what about a folding knife??

For what? A good general 'live in my pocket' knife is anything by Victorinox, decide how bulky you want it.

The 'Huntsman' lives in my pocket

http://www.heinnie.com/Victorinox-Knives/Original-Swiss-Army-Knives/Victorinox-Huntsman/p-199-849-6283/

I do have a 'Handyman' but it is too bulky for everyday carry

http://www.heinnie.com/Victorinox-Knives/Original-Swiss-Army-Knives/Victorinox-Handyman/p-199-849-6281/

In my opinion, a folding knife has no place gutting or skinning anything. They are hard to keep clean and use hygienically. You risk cutting yourself if the blade closes unexpectedly. That said for everything else mine never leaves my side.

I too use Mora knives for deer and bunnies. I have collected half a dozen or more. They are so cheap they are almost disposable and you won't be sad if one goes missing. Just make sure you get a stainless steel one if you abuse knifes like me. Get two then you can always have a clean sharp one!

http://www.forestandhill.co.uk/epages/es140362.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es140362/Categories/%22Mora%20Knives%22

(2nd knife down)

Edited by apache

thanks for the tips so far...looks like the mora clipper in the lead for that price...

what about a folding knife??

Definitely a Mora for a "budget" general purpose knife, and as for a folding knife for gutting rabbits etc I don't think you will go far wrong with an Opinel. They are sharp, they hold a pretty good edge and are easy to maintain and keep clean, and the added bonus is that they only cost 5 or 6 pounds so it is no great heatbreak if you loose one.

If you fancy something out of the ordinary and are prepared to accept that belt mounted cases are available and you don't want a monster (there is a larger 'Lord' version, but 'tis pricey) but one that takes an edge, then Google: Boker Lady Magnum UK and Sporting Cutlery which is near the top of the list shows one well.

PS See also 'Pouches'.

Edit: Sorry, I picked a bad example to view. The Sporting Cutlery details are wrong - they give the blade length to be longer than it is. The larger 'King' is the same price.

Edited by wymberley

Anything from Gerber, look out for deals on BKCG and similar sites.

I've just purchased a gerber remix knife. Lovely little knife with an amazing blade should be perfect size for Pigeon and rabbits.

I got a Gerber Gator Mate lock knife for 20 quid a couple of months back and i can honestly say it's the nicest knife i've ever owned - Feels nice in the hand (!!), good weight and keeps a nice edge. Unzips rabbits a treat and cleans up lovely.

Very cool blade

here's mine, both for less than £20....... bargain!

post-28296-0-26947100-1336328283.jpg

post-28296-0-97515100-1336328292.jpg

Mora Clipper and Opinel No8 (carbon).

I use the same set up apart from my opinel is a no7, I've also got a spare of each just incase I lose one I think I paid about £35 for all 4 knifes :good:

being a butcher i have a load of very good very sharp knives to choose from but with one down side you dont get a case with them,

after reading this tread i thought i get one of the knives mentioned think it was carpentermark's knife,

the mora,

it came today and i must say its great can't wait to get out and use it now :good: :good: :good:

colin

Edited by colin lad