growing a conscience?

just pondering, Any of you guys ever get bored with shooting?

I've been out a few times this year, but nowhere near as much as i have been in previous years. I didn't want to admit it but i'm starting to feel a bit guilty about killing stuff, Does anyone else feel that way sometimes? or am i being soft? :lol:

Most things i shoot i feel no guilt. But if i wing a goose and have to finish the job i do get a real guilt trip, same with foxes especially cubs. Nailed a big dog fox the other day and he was such a good looking old boy i felt a bit funny for a while after.

Not to much though as had another tonight as he was about to jump in with the chickens :lol:

I always feel a touch of remorse about everything I shoot, after all we are killing something and it wouldn't be human not to feel some compassion.

I once read a book by an old deer stalker who wrote about this very subject, and he maintained that once he lost any feelings of compassion, or any tinge of sadness for the deer he shot, then he would pack up shooting, because he would have lost a sense of giving that deer some dignity in death.

I don't think that there is anything to be ashamed of if you are feeling human.

G.M.

I felt really bad after shooting my first fox. But at the time when it looked me in the eye, I took the shot all the same without thinking how i would feel afterwards.

The fact that it was a Vixen didn't help either, because she obviously had cubs somewhere.

But, having being honest about it on this forum I soon realised that I was not alone and that a lot of members had felt the same way at on point.

Shot a milky rabbit doe the other day and felt really bad. I'd rather get a young rabbit than think of tiny rabbits starving to death.

From now on I'm gonna try to just get the young un's.

As others have pointed out, it's good to have a conscience.

ATB

I agree with most who seem to examine their concience regularly, shooting anything demands a respect for the quarry and much of the ritual of shooting is a reflection of the respect needed to bring these birds to table.

Small scale shooting isnt as bad as the big bag old days and commercial shooting. If you DIY that feels better than paying big bucks for top shoots. Accounting for and eating all you shoot (bar foxes, crows etc), is another way to make sense of the enjoyment of shooting.

As you get older, and I'm there, you do begin to question why you shoot and many change to working their dogs.

It isnt just the killing though, its being there, having access to land to walk and watch the wildlife and be close to nature all contribute.

Also I find keeping the tradition and the good days I've had with good friends keep me shooting, even though I dont hit as much !

As a youngster I used to shoot anything that moved and the memory doesnt give me pleasure. Now though the formality of making yourself ready, the anticipation of the day and a good day with friends and the craik are more important than killing. However a good shot is still a good shot and worth celebrating twice, at the time and when its cooked.

I make a point of eating any thing I shoot so stick too rabbits and wood pigeon at the moment which makes me feel better about it.

One of the farmers has asked me too shoot any foxes I see but luckily I haven't come across one yet.

As a youngster I had no qualms and would dig a vixen with cubs with the terriers no problem and not think twice. I just loved working the dogs but I cringe when I think back some times

you are right there kes

<It isnt just the killing though, its being there, having access to land to walk and watch the wildlife and be close to nature all contribute. >

I feel really honoured too be allowed too wonder around some of my permissions as it is such a privilege now a days

Edited by captainhastings

i consider it totally normal to have emotion toward the thing you just killed, i personally dont like to "need another shot" ie heart/lung shots, where even tho a clean kill it takes 30 secs to shutdown.

my hobbies always have spells, but shooting is one iv always been good at. then carp fishing, cars and bikes, and finally the girlfriend.. haha :P

Having shot a thousand or two Rabbits over the last twenty years I am heading the same way. I can take it or leave it. If it wasn't for Salop off here I would easily stick to clays with the shotgun. I am more than happy to take a walk without a gun these days. All for shooting and vermin control, don't get me wrong but for me the lust/ excitement has gone for now. I enjoy seeing whats out and about . All part of understanding how things are in the coutryside I guess. We are not all blood thirsty but know things need to be kept in control.

On a lighter note, any of you older rabbbit shooters noticed the more you shoot the more they come? I ask this as since I have shot less the Rabbit no.s seem to have gone down? Could be mixy or Buzzards, not sure.

atvb Paul.

livestock has to be maintained so shooting fox , crow no problem and protecting crops from pigeons is what is expected of me from land owners . but in saying that i will not shoot hares . often look at them through the scope and think you lucky ****** . :lol: also do a lot of clay shooting and enjoy it very much , good practice for live quarry

just pondering, Any of you guys ever get bored with shooting?

I've been out a few times this year, but nowhere near as much as i have been in previous years. I didn't want to admit it but i'm starting to feel a bit guilty about killing stuff, Does anyone else feel that way sometimes? or am i being soft? :lol:

I'm sure a few here will mock but I'd say good on you. I'm not saying you should weep at every rabbit shot but to think about, question and feel something means you have respect for what it is you're shooting.

Anti's never seem to see this side of shooting though do they?

Being out in the field, seeing nature un spoilt is often better than the shooting itself.

I used to snowboard for seasons at a time and I can liken shooting to that, the act of snowboarding down a mountain as awesome as it is, is secondary to just being there, high in the mountains looking out over beautiful scenary and taking in all the sights and sounds.

We're all just blood thirsty killers that want to destroy everything though right? lol

I don't think it is abnormal or unusual to have thoughts or a concience about killing any living thing! As far as I am concerned it helps you to learn to respect your quarry! I shoot near enough every day, all be it mainly vermin shooting, the only game I shoot are deer, mainly when out culling.

I don't have any problems with shooting and killing living animals as I know the reasons why I shoot vermin. I do however sometimes find that I am a bit hard on myself when I pull a shot and leave a runner or have to use a follow up shot with the shotgun as I don't believe that there is anyone that has the right to willingly or intentionally leave any animal to suffer.

One of the hardest things I found is when a farmer asked me to shoot a stock worrying dog. I have one permission that only allowed me permission if I were willing to go out (At short notice if need be) if he had any dogs worrying his stock. While this is a necessary thing (If the dog is proven to be a stock worryier) I do not find it easy and thank God it has only happened once so far. It left me upset for a couple of days thinking that I had shot and killed what was likely to be someones much loved pet, especially as I am a hardened dog lover.

The day I stop having a concience or thoughts about what I kill and why I kill it I will give up shooting!

If you start to develop a conscience. ask yourself "what is best in life?"

my answer would have to be

to crush the foxes, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their vixen. :lol:

I'm sure that by the way you have put a "smiley" in with your reply it is made somewhat tongue in cheek but I have to disagree with it! To me shooting is not about killing every fox you see, it is more about finding and keeping a "balance in nature"!

Please do not be offended by this comment!

I never get bored with shooting, I love it. But there have been a couple of occasions that have knocked the fun out of it, sometimes for a day or so, others for weeks.

One of the worst I have ever done is shot a Deer and lost it - that really hurt and bothered me for months. The other was when I took a shot at a pigeon which was being followed by a sparrow hawk - I didn't see it and got both birds with the shot. :(

I don't know which of those two was the worst? Both really hit me hard and I didn't go out again for a long time. Along with those I've injured a few things and got to them quickly to sort it. That isn't nice but is easier to get over because I know I've done my best to fix the problem in a short space of time.

I'm sure that by the way you have put a "smiley" in with your reply it is made somewhat tongue in cheek but I have to disagree with it! To me shooting is not about killing every fox you see, it is more about finding and keeping a "balance in nature"!

Please do not be offended by this comment!

definately not offended by your polite comment! :lol:

and yes I was just joking, I normally shout "I'll be back" after shooting a vixen.

i feel my conscience nip a bit sometimes, especialy when i shoot a woodcock or a drake teal, i guess its because they are such beautifully marked birds. i have seen myself sitting watching teal with the spy-glass and promising myself never to shoot such a pretty little bird again,(i dont keep promises to myself very well). its the same with woodcock, when the dog has retrieved a woodcock after a successful shot and i am stood with the bird in hand looking at the delicate markings i get a bit of a guilty twang come through. it tends to go after while, usually after ive eaten it :blush:. i suppose it to do with different strokes for different folks and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and such like, for example there are some that wouldnt be able to harm a sweet little rat :huh:.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder and such like, for example there are some that wouldnt be able to harm a sweet little rat :huh:.

As living creatures there's nothing wrong with rats. In fact they're quite cool little things. If they didn't do damage to so much stuff and spread disease I wouldn't feel the need to shoot them. :no: