suggest a new calibre for me

docholiday

OK my FAC gets renewed next year and so I get to put a free variation on it

I have

.22 lr

.17 hmr

6.5 x 55

7mm-08

so what do you reckon I should add for some fun as above covers all i shoot, was thinking of a 303 or something like that to play with up the club and mess about with reloading

any thoughts ?

22 Hornet, great fun to both shoot and reload. Can be made into a tack driver with careful loading and is adequate for most pest control provided you are selective with shots. It'll also make you question why you have a .17 in your gunsafe. I messed about with 303 and derivatives in Oz in the 60s and, if my memory serves me well (which it mightn't) the service issue cases had berdan type primers and those made it slow to reload with the equipment available at the time. Of course I may have bought the wrong type in the first place as I wasn't that experienced back then (nothing much has changed). I do recall that the cases were comparatively strong compared with their contemporaries but it was nearly 50 years ago and I changed to a 222 rem and 264 win when I could afford them. I was seduced by muzzle velocity back then until it dawned on me that I lacked the ability to use the full potential of the win.

The only other cal I'd recommend you consider is the 30.06, modern powders mean you can reload this up to pocket magnum performance and you'd then have an ideal boar gun. I know there are arguments in favour of the 308 over the 06 but the extra capacity of the brass gives the 06 the edge in my opinion.

something in .20 or a simple .223 it all depends what you are going to shoot with it. For pure getting into reloading and banging rounds down range the .223 is hard to beat. Dead easy to reload cheap to buy and run and decent barrel life. However if you want something fast and accurate over distance you will find some nice offerings in .20 that are rather good for distance shooting of rabbits and foxes.

In the past I've had a .45/70 underlever which was fun, especially working up a decent accurate home load. Failing any serious suggestions how about a black powder rifle? A .451 Whitworth is known for accuracy but a .577 Minie ball is amazing. Try a Musketoon (an 1861 Artillery Carbine), great fun.