Report: 71 percent of Britons back equal marriage rights for gay coupl

gazzthompson

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the Home Office consultation paper? (as quoted in topic)

• Yes
    • No
    • partially (please state)

Kind of a continuation from last couple of threads:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/06/12/survey-71-percent-of-britons-back-equal-marriage-rights-for-gay-couples/

Obviously the website might not be the most unbiased, but you can check the '2012 Living Together report' yourself.

Stonewall’s five-yearly polling of public attitudes, for its 2012 Living Together report, said more than 80 per cent of British adults under 50 supported the proposal.

Also related: Church of England warning on gay marriage

The Church of England has warned that proposals to legalise gay marriage could undermine its status.

Could this lead to a separation of church and state? Thoughts ?

Edit: Added a poll, somewhat different from early poll on churches.

The Home Office's consultation paper proposes:

to allow same-sex couples to marry in a register office or other civil ceremony

to retain civil partnerships for same-sex couples and allow couples already in a civil partnership to convert it into a marriage

to allow people to stay married and legally change their gender

to maintain the legal ban on same-sex couples marrying in a religious service

Source: Home Office consultation paper

Edited by gazzthompson

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not against it per se but when we already have civil partnerships, we are essentially looking at spending millions of pounds to change a word on a Certificate.

I was asked to sign the petition by a gay friend and I told him that whilst I have no issue with it and see no reason why anyone cant marry anyone else in this day and age, I do object to the expense of rewriting 200 years of civil marriage law (1837 Registration act bought in Civil i.e non-religious marriage and compulsory registration of birth and deaths) at a time of economic instability and also

that people who are gay/lesbian/transsexual/bi etc.etc. can already have a legally recognised partnership, are treated equally (and sometimes favourably) and have all the rights as anyone else in this country where as there are people all around the world who are abused, imprisoned or killed for their sexuality.

Surely the "gay community" would be better using their campaign strength to promote this issue and help protect the rights of gay people world wide than pressuring the Government into using up already stretched resources to pay teams of solicitors to rewrite volumes and volumes and volumes of established law.

This is why "gay marriage" was bought in as civil partnership in the first place, avoiding the complications and expense of the above.

If Civil Partnership is now scrapped, that's another few million down the drain to appease a minority who would never support the bulk of politicians in the current coalition anyway.

The Church is also right to say that if "marriage" as a legal term will apply to any recognised partnership, they could well come under intense pressure from our good friends in Europe for "discriminating" policies i.e. only allowing men and woman to marry in a religious building.

That's my 2p anyway!

D

I have nothing against it in principal but I can see the churches point of view in saying that if it was made legal for them to marry someone would soon take it to the human rights court and they would say that the church has to marry them.

Having said that I think the civil partnership should be enough how can you have a husband and wife if they are both male or female they have to be partners.

It's about time we got the balance back to normality.

Being Gay is not normal it is abnormal.

I am sick and tired of wuffters getting publicity. Get back in your closets :angry: :angry: :angry:

By your logic, lets hide away the disabled, the disfigured (including injured war veterans), the mentally ill, different religions/skin colours - anyone society doesn't really include/approve of - Oh, wait a minute, that would include shooters, wouldn't it, maybe a 'special' case? How would you 'get the balance back'in favour of your personal preference - get rid of anyone who does not conform to your 'norm'?

Edited by Bloke

I agree with the consultation paper partially, the part I agree with is to 'maintain the legal ban on same-sex couples marrying in religious ceremonies'.

2,074 were polled in the survey, from England, Scotland and Wales.

So that's one from Glasgow, one from Cardiff........and 2,072 from Brighton then <_<

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Who gives a flying ****? There are more important things to sort out in this country than this **** <_<

perhaps if our elected reps thought the same way then your statement is fair enough , but when you look at the PC ever so soft gays in the house :yes: you start to realise that they have their own agenda and being straight aint on it, lets face it their was more to worry about than dropping the age of mutual bending to 16 but it became for some strange reason a priority :hmm:

KW

agree wirh Chard. how much time and money wasted on this just like the fox hunting ban. gets major media coverage as it affects a small minority. change the law to somehow alter the lives of the few and make it the buisiness of many.