Best Mountain/Walking Boots

bullet boy

I have a pair of Skarpa, on average they last me around 10 or so years, i am now on my 3rd pair. I have had the Manta Atack or as close to that model/style as they do. Extremly good in all weathers, -15 heavy snow 2ft deep, water not a problem. Walking in wet grass again not a problem.

Expect to pay around £150-£180

Edited by Dougy

A good pair of Hi Tec magnum boots will suit your needs. Get the full leather ones, for around £90. I wore mine to the Himalayas, and also on many farms here. They are excellent.

I got mine from 'Ned's in Pontypridd.

Steve.

EDIT: If you are a size 8, you can try mine on to see what they are like. :good:

I think any of the top brands should do you fine. I find Salomon boots fit me realy well. But any of the above should be fine.

I think you get what you pay for my current Salomon are about 5 years old and still going strong and were about £110.00 then, having a quick look about £150.00 now.

Boots are like any kit, you get what you pay for and you must try them on! Boot fit is so important.

I've had salomon boots, meindl and aesolo boots all of which have been spot on.

Scarpa and great and also La Sportives are fantastic boots however as italian they are quite a narrow fit.

My summer lightweights are aesolo and my winter ice climbing boots are also aesolo but that's just pure coincidence as they are what fitted me best at the time!

Hi

For the sort of prices Meindl etc are it should be worth discussing what Altberg in Richmond can do in terms of a 'made-to-measure' pair - should not need 'breaking-in' and customised to your feet.

My pair are still going strong after 5+ years stalking as well as hiking/walking several times a year.

L

To a certain degree you get what you pay for, so if I were you I would pull up a chair and get on the net as there can be some great deals out there on quality boots. Places like john norris and swillington shooting supplies do some great offers on quality boots, sometimes up to 50% off but you have to be quick for the popular sizes. Places like go outdoors, nevis sport and blacks can have some decent reductions on some of the big brand boots. I saved £50 on a pair of mammut boots in blacks at xmas. My personal favs are Lowa gortex Renegade boots these normally retail well over £100 but I picked up my last pair of flea bay for £70. I have been told by outdoor shops that german boots are normally a wider fit than Italian boots, so worth bearing in mind when buying. Good luck whatever you buy.

Thanks for all your replies.

I do like the look of the Lowa Mountain Boots-does anyone know if these are good?

Thanks again.

Had mine 10 years before they died, wore them pretty much 5 days a week, and covered more miles than my old jimny.

Like any boot though, you need to look after them :good:

I have/ had the following.

Lows mountain x2

Meindl Burma pro

Meindl Vakuum Ultra

Hanwag

Magnum x2

Le Chameau Mouflon

The Lowas are worn every day on the beat, driving and kicking doors in for the last 9 years. Very comfortable and a good fit. They can be resolved and last a long time. I'm only on the second pair as I got the first pair resolved the second time on the cheep and the bloke messed it up. Nothing wrong with the actual boot.

The Burma pros have taken a fair bit of abuse and are being repaired at the moment. Very strong and probably not as comfortable as the Lowas but more sturdy and better for walking over rough ground. They have a very good grippy sole for walking over boulders and stuff like that.

The Vakuum ultras are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn but they are not really for rough country as the leather is quite soft. Paths tracks and dog walking only as I don't want to ruin them.

Hanwag are very similar to the Lowas but the lacing system is not as good but they were free so I cant complain.

Magnums are light and comfy but the sole split after 12 months on one pair and they can't be repaired.

The mouflons are a better boot for beating/shooting but not really a hiking boot unless your off paths and tracks all the way.

If I were you I would get the meindl Burma pros. I have just dealt with the customer service department and they are very good and sound like they actually give a dam and that's worth a lot in my book.

Harry