Anyone into running

gixer1

I started running again recently and am quite enjoying with the view to doing a 10k next year and get back into a better level of fitness/lose a bit of weight.

I have been running now for a few months and do 5k every second night then every third alternating between 8 mins running at 6mph and then 2 mins at 3mph then back to 8,2 and so on until at 5km.

My problem now is I am really struggling to push past the 5k and it's annoying me, most of the people that run I have spoken to reckon getting past the 5k mark is always a pain for new runners and have said slow the pace in the running part a little so I tried this tonight and again the 5k comes around and my breathing is giving out.

Muscle wise Its not a problem but my breathing just seems short.

I stopped smoking just over two years ago from a 20 a day habit but surely my lung capacity should be up by now!

So anyone got any tips for getting past the 5k mark (without the suggestion of a vehicle :lol:)

Regards

Gixer

Don't get hung up on distance,run a different route that you haven't done before and just keep a steady pace until you decide to stop,then check your distance.

It could be that if you are running the same routes your brain is kicking in as it knows the distance,and you have a mental hurdle in the way.

I used to find that when I used to run ,if I played the same music I didn't matter where I ran it was always close to the same distance because my mind knew by the songs playing,shuffle sorted that out :good:

Don't get hung up on distance,run a different route that you haven't done before and just keep a steady pace until you decide to stop,then check your distance.

It could be that if you are running the same routes your brain is kicking in as it knows the distance,and you have a mental hurdle in the way.

I used to find that when I used to run ,if I played the same music I didn't matter where I ran it was always close to the same distance because my mind knew by the songs playing,shuffle sorted that out :good:

The scenery does always seem the same but then that's cause I do all my running on a running machine :lol:

Thats the other thing I've heard - runnin on the street is harder than on the machine - which makes me worry about the 10k even more! :oops:

The scenery does always seem the same but then that's cause I do all my running on a running machine :lol:

Thats the other thing I've heard - runnin on the street is harder than on the machine - which makes me worry about the 10k even more! :oops:

The running machine :lol:

Fresh air ,different sights,sounds,makes it a lot more fun,I wouldn't think you will find it harder on the streets,you will notice you have less bounce as your machine is probably sprung,just get good well fitted trainers,and most of all enjoy it,otherwise there's no point.

I find running on roads so boring and I really have to push myself too do it.

Now cross country is so much more fun and you really do feel like you have worked

those muscles.And your fittness level will be so much better then pounding the streets.

Just watch out for the bunnie holes though :blush:

xxxxSuzy

Now cross country is so much more fun and you really do feel like you have worked

those muscles.And your fittness level will be so much better then pounding the streets.

xxxxSuzy

Its been quite a few years since i did any running but have to agree with the young lady Mrs Sweepy. :good:

2 years since your last session on the fags i would question if your lungs have fully recovered (if they ever do ???)

You will find it allot more enjoyable i am sure. But to be honest IMO i think running will create joint problems later in life.

I did my first 10k last month; started training a couple of months before, and never ran more than 3 miles in practice. Completed the run in just over an hour. You will find you get buoyed up by the other runners. You shouldn't have any problem with the amount of training you're doing.

I used to be like you. I found that you need to find a constant pace that enables to to run further. 6 mph is my distance speed. Can now go all day long (well it feels like it but realistically it is my half marathon pace). BUT if I increase the pace at all, even just slightly, I get breathless and even then if I slow down I am shot.

So try reducing the pace slightly but try not to do the 2 minutes at 3mph. Try 10 minutes at a constant 5mph. You won't suddenly sprint through the 5K mark but gradually you will.

If you are on a treadmill it is also probably psychological. You are watching the distance mount up and then get all up tight.

I hated running but was amazed how I got hooked on it and would day to myself "oh I think I'll go out for 'quick' 6 mile run.

Its pretty simple....just keep running.

With the running your doing you'll be more than capable. What might be happening is that at the 5k mark your body is starting to switch over from burning the glycogen (I think) stored and starting to burn fat. Its painful and is called the wall. After a while of running through it your breathing will regulate and you'll feel fine.

Its all in your mind, just push yourself on, you'll be surprised of what your body is capable of even after the smoking abuse :D

keep crunching those miles!

Ditch the treadmill :good:

Get out and about, listen to some music etc, chill out, relax and enjoy the run :good:

Once your fitness starts to build, stay out running for a bit longer.

Then, when your confidence has grown enough with your fitness, start running measured distances, then start recording your times and eventually aim to reduce the times :good:

xxxxSuzy

Hello Suzy its been a while

:shaun:

The Trouble with running is that it is so monotonous. Vary your route and keep a track of your distance. this website might help - www.mapmyrun.com

I've used it for various routes and it really helps with actual distance as opposed to to virtual distance. Give it a try. The othr thing you may want to check out is your running style. Look at fore foot running or bare foot running to help you achieve better times. It's a more effiecent wat of running and I'm still knoking seconds off my 5k and various other routes.

Treadmills are great for precise increments in speed and distance. I find it's best not to increase speed and distance and speed in the same week.

I started running just over a year ago, my first time I ran half a mile and thought I was going to die, now I run five miles every other day.

Like you I had a sticking point at 3 miles. What worked for me was increasing my food intake (particularly carbs about an hour before running), new music for distraction and consistency, don't miss any scheduled runs if you can help it ( a bad run is better than no run). It is easier to increase distance than speed. When you are increasing distance I find it best to add .1 of a mile each run (adds up much quicker than you think).

The main thing is to keep at it.

Treadmills are great for precise increments in speed and distance. I find it's best not to increase speed and distance and speed in the same week.

I started running just over a year ago, my first time I ran half a mile and thought I was going to die, now I run five miles every other day.

Like you I had a sticking point at 3 miles. What worked for me was increasing my food intake (particularly carbs about an hour before running), new music for distraction and consistency, don't miss any scheduled runs if you can help it ( a bad run is better than no run). It is easier to increase distance than speed. When you are increasing distance I find it best to add .1 of a mile each run (adds up much quicker than you think).

The main thing is to keep at it.

Thanks, I really want to avoid adding food! :lol: I do have the iPod on though - oddly enough the beastie boys seems like good pace keeping music! :blink:

And as you say I will try increasing the distance .1 at a time. :good:

As some of the others have said ditch the treadmill and enjoy the outside, running on a treadmill is alot easier than outside so minimise the culture shock and do it ASAP.

i am also training for a 10k race in august in aid of help for heroes. i find that unless i make sure i am well hydrated whilst running i really struggle so i always take a camel pack of fluids that fits in my rucksack once i am going past 3 miles.

I will also let you into a secret that a very experienced marathon runner gave me when i started running a couple of years ago...... ssssssshhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a jelly baby every mile. I kid you not it really works. stops your blood sugar getting too low and hitting the wall.

Thanks, I really want to avoid adding food! :lol: I do have the iPod on though - oddly enough the beastie boys seems like good pace keeping music! :blink:

And as you say I will try increasing the distance .1 at a time. :good:

I understand. When your running to lose weight it's hard to do, but when asking your body to do more you have to give it more fuel. Focus on building your fitness and the weight will go on it's own. Think long term. This is assuming your not already taking in 7,000,000 calories a day :lol:

Gonna Shoot a Wabbit's secret tip of jelly beans, sounds great for long distances, but should not be necessary for a shorter run (if your taking in enough fuel).

He also mentions hydration, this is massively important. I drink 2 pints in the hour before my run and I have a 500ml bottle which I drink whilst running.